Redmoon wallet care: 2 oil or not 2 oil?

emaze

I just picked up a redmoon peacemaker in the light saddle leather color. It's not even a week old and has already started to change in color. I've also been careful not to get too much indigo on it. My question is should I keep it as is and just wear it in naturally or try to oil it? Does anyone know the benefits of oiling? (protection, darker look) & can someone talk about what not to do (precautions) If anyone has any before and after pic's of the redmoon wallets... (b4 oil, after oil, natural wear)

Thanks....

nice choice.

they say should tan it on both sides for two days. that's seems too long to IMO, but hey. i'd follow up with a leather conditioner like Obenauf's LP or Pecard's Dressing. they say mink-oil or neatsfoot, but i've read that shit is actually BAD for the wallet in the long run. david morgan site has a lot of interesting info on care of quality leather.

check out the evolution of leather thread for some pics and add your own

thanks, miz said u might have an answer for me... when u say tan, u actually mean just let it sit in the sun? & do u have the link to the david morgan site? much appreciation...

• 1 month later...
I didnt do shit to mine and 4 months on it's really taken on some beautiful wear. The leather has softened naturally. I'll try and post some pics later on.

basically the oil after you eat fried chicken should take the place of oiling.

its good to see you didn't oil, should wear differently, somehow i feel like oiling is kind of like sandpapering your jeans.

basically the oil after you eat fried chicken should take the place of oiling.

its good to see you didn't oil, should wear differently, somehow i feel like oiling is kind of like sandpapering your jeans.

Agreed. I can see oiling something you don't handle very often (boots, belts, etc) but for a wallet (which you handle quite frequently), I think natural oils from your skin--and also fried chicken--should do the job.

• 3 weeks later...

My redmoon has these strange indigo spots on them, they are clearly defined and in only one area, anybody else have these? I ve only been using it for about a week, and I don t want anymore of these spots to form. Any suggestions?

Also, how much obenaufs did you guys use? I used very little cause I didnt want to saturate the leather, but now I am starting to think I should give it another go.

Please excuse the shitty pic, all I have is a webcam right now.

Picture001.jpg

• 4 months later...
emaze... where did you pick yours up? i live in nyc too and have been trying to find one of these gems.

I picked it up when I was in in Hong Kong last summer from Take 5 jeans.... you won't be able to find them in the U.S. whatsoever... if you really want one of these gems I would use one of the JP buying services....

How much obenaufs did you guys use? I used very little cause I didnt want to saturate the leather, but now I am starting to think I should give it another go.

I would like to know as well - how much and how did you apply it? The Obenauf's oil comes with the application brush but it just slops the oil on. Is it better to soak a rag and wipe for a more consistant application?

Also, what about the LP? For use on a wallet, is it better to go with just LP, or to apply oil and then LP? Or not use LP at all?

And what about for raw belts?

First I use White Jaguar leather cleaner to clean up the entire leather surface from oils and dirt... then leaving the cleaned leather item outside to dry for about 30mins.

After that, I use Obenauf Leather Oil on the leather... I got the big 1 gallon bottle. No need for cloth or brush for application, I just drip some oil on my hands and rub/massage the oil into the leather... smells nice too... not harmful to your skin. I find that using your hands to oil the leather is my choice, as it allows me to get to all the corners and folds that a brush may not be able to reach... and I like to feel of oiled leather too.

i got me the obenuafs lp yesterday and applied it. i pust but a bit of it on my fingertips and spread it around the surface of my rm. afterwards i used a hairdryer on it so the leather would absorb the oil faster. the instruction booklet came with also says that it takes for around 6 days for the darkening of the colour to show, so im eager to see how it changed the colour of the wallet if at all.

I would like to know as well - how much and how did you apply it? The Obenauf's oil comes with the application brush but it just slops the oil on. Is it better to soak a rag and wipe for a more consistant application?

Also, what about the LP? For use on a wallet, is it better to go with just LP, or to apply oil and then LP? Or not use LP at all?

And what about for raw belts?

I used obenauf's leather protector and it didn t protect shit (see evolution of leather goods thread). If I had to do it over agian, I would put as much protector on it as humanly possible.

BTW, nice colour above. Why is mine the only one that got fucked?

I used obenauf's leather protector and it didn t protect shit (see evolution of leather goods thread). If I had to do it over agian, I would put as much protector on it as humanly possible.

BTW, nice colour above. Why is mine the only one that got fucked?

This one? You could use an entire gallon of Obenauf's and it wouldn't help with that. Obenauf's is about keeping your leather alive.