London: bars, design and fashion question

Fuuma

Hi, I’ll be in London at the start of September and was wondering if you could help me with a couple of things:

•I want to go out, where should I go if I’m more of a rock/indie/whatever kind of guy? Keep in mind I’m not looking for empty bars…

•I’d like to see some interesting stores/museum/galleries/bookstores concerning modern art/design/architecture, where should I go?

•I haven’t seen that in many cities but is there a high-end second hand market in London where I could score rare designer stuff like Ann Demeulemeester, Number (N)ine, Margiela, etc at interesting prices.

Thanks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm checking out this Trashclub thing on Mondays at The End http://www.trashclub.co.uk , they have rock shows and indie dj sets. Another is "All you can eat" a party every Thursdays which I have yet to find out where. I'm gathering more info and making my own list of indie London designers, niche shops, based on my friends who have lived there. But this thread would be a good sharing venue. Looks like most SFer will be London bound this Sept!

•I want to go out, where should I go if I’m more of a rock/indie/whatever kind of guy? Keep in mind I’m not looking for empty bars…

Grab a Time Out magazine each Wednesday and check the listings. Otherwise hit the clubs around Old Street, Shoreditch, Brick Lane (93 Feet East on Brick Lane has some interesting stuff on most nights, and is a fun club)

Trash (as above) is a good night, as is White Heat http://www.myspace.com/whiteheatmayfair

•I’d like to see some interesting stores/museum/galleries/bookstores concerning modern art/design/architecture, where should I go?

Def Tate Modern, National Portrait Gallery, Proud Galleries - again, Time Out is rad for this. Go and have a look at the Swiss Re building (known as the gerkin) and Lloyds insurance building for cool architecture

White Cube in Hoxton has some good exhibitions

•I haven’t seen that in many cities but is there a high-end second hand market in London where I could score rare designer stuff like Ann Demeulemeester, Number (N)ine, Margiela, etc at interesting prices.

Um, not too sure, think there are a couple out West, around Notting Hill and Portobello Road, but, yeah, not too sure

Don't limit yourself to clubs, either. Some of the cities best pubs can be a lot of fun, too. Check out the Cheshire Cheese, Jerusalem Tavern, and others through pubs crawls.

Cue is right when it comes to modern art etc. Time Out London is quite thorough in terms of events going on for museums. The one thing I regret while being there was not visiting museums more often (most are free!).

I didn't run into any high end second hand shops while I was out there. You might want to ask some knowledgable sales staff at some stores. They might know a bit more information about that.

I will be there first week of Sept. for 2 weeks! Maybe hit France too, if time allows! Enjoy

I'll be there the first two weeks of sept. Holy shit if we're enough people I might call a superfuture pub night or something. Maybe not depending on what's everyone's doing, trraveling can get quite hectic, but might be fun, unless you american bastards :P can't understand my frenchie accent.

Hmn. Everyone's hitting London and me and Cue are skipping it to Asia!

If Indie music is your bag, try The Old Blue Last on Old St, just up from the Great Eastern Hotel. It''s run by the guys from Vice magazine and is hipster/scene/indie party central, 7 nights a week. Club wise, the world is your ashtray in London. I recommend Plastic people -http://www.plasticpeople.co.uk/ Notting Hill Arts Club - www.nottinghillartsclub.com/- or Cargo - http://www.cargo-london.com/ which is on Rivington st, the same place as Start Boutique ( http://www.urbanpath.com/london/boutiques/start.htm)

There's just been a thread about bookstores, but if you want design books, Magma - www.magmabooks.com - is the place. Otherwise, the bookshops at the Whitechapel gallery or the ICA on the mall are great. The ICA Bar is also fantastic and has plenty of events going on as well - www.ica.org.uk. It's also worth noting that Designers Block ( part of the London design festival) is on 20-24th September and is an essential event to go see - http://www.designersblock.org.uk/

The major art galleries are all good, but IMO some of the most interesting art can be found in the tiny gurerilla spaces dotted all around the east end,and centred about Vine St. As with most things, give Time Out magazine a squeeze and you'lll get the picture.

Anyhow. Hope some of that is useful.

I'll be there after yous, sep 13-18. I'm going to Chelsea v. Liverpool, and that's all I know... I was definitely going to hit Tate, and a few shops, otherwise I just want to chill - I've been to London before and did the tourist thing.

Can someone buy me a ticket? Thanks in advance.

Your check, err ticket's in the mail!!

BTW thanks to all who answered.

Since I'm going in september (no sales, regular overpriced London, right?) I'll assume all my shopping will be about looking and not buying. Any chances I'll see any decent sales/discounted stuff somewhere?

Your check, err ticket's in the mail!!

BTW thanks to all who answered.

Since I'm going in september (no sales, regular overpriced London, right?) I'll assume all my shopping will be about looking and not buying. Any chances I'll see any decent sales/discounted stuff somewhere?

There are big sales in the Old Truman Brewery on Brick Lane from time to time - again, these will probably be listed in Time Out, either that or pop into any of the shops in the area (Rokit maybe a good bet) and ask.

and Syb's club lists are bang on too - follow the list and you'll have a blast

I leave early Oct, but am organising a club night before I go - Oct 6 - priivate party but PM me and I'm sure I can sort something

Really good list from Sybaritical, totally reccomend Cargo. Theres lots to do in Camden town, from the station head towards the lock and theres Lock17 directly on your left, head further up and theres a string of bars (inc. the Bar Fly) and some clubs dotted about.

This seems to be popular with the indie hipsters on a tuesday: http://www.whiteheatmayfair.com/

[edit] Oh I forgot to say, at all costs avoid Leicter Square and that part of central london in the early hours of the morning. It's total hell.

Do any of the clubs recommended by Sybaritical (thanks dude) have a dress code, I'd like to leave the dress shoes, shirts, pants whatever at home and only bring a pair of sneakers, jeans and tees.

i have never not got into a club in London due to dress code - and i always wear trainers and jeans

In fact, I am pretty sure all of the ones listed ^^ don't have dress codes at all

The only clubs that will stop you are the ones that charge £200 for a bottle of vodka and £7.50 for a beer, and you don't wanna go to them anyway

Really good list from Sybaritical, totally reccomend Cargo. Theres lots to do in Camden town, from the station head towards the lock and theres Lock17 directly on your left, head further up and theres a string of bars (inc. the Bar Fly) and some clubs dotted about.

This seems to be popular with the indie hipsters on a tuesday: http://www.whiteheatmayfair.com/

[edit] Oh I forgot to say, at all costs avoid Leicter Square and that part of central london in the early hours of the morning. It's total hell.

I'll be staying in Islington so Camden town would seem like a good spot to go out for me.