Superfuture Running Club

jackg

damn seems everyone else is getting in lots of miles and i haven't done one. was planning on running tomorrow but still on the track. now i'm rethinking that. not sure if this is helping to motivate me like i hoped or just making me feel guilty.

i always hear dont increase your mileage by more than 10% from one week to the next.

So yeah, take it slow like suremanok said ^_^

damn, really? i was planning on progressing A LOT faster than that. i'm pretty experienced and have developed good endurance before, so maybe it will help make easier to rebuild it. and i'm in good shape otherwise. i do a bit of weights (bad about it for the past 2 weeks, though) and am quite lean. still, i definitely need to look more into injury prevention tips.

my old one was too small, but i finally got a new arm strap that fits my iphone so that's one less excuse for me. was really annoying running with it in my hand.

Edited by wurm

yeah the 10% rule is a good one! but you can start at 20/30km weeks and work from there you don't need to start super low (in my opinion)....

side note, thanks for all the interest guys its awesome having such a good group online together!!

also rob incredible run pal! 4.06km pace is fucking impressive!

Edited by jackg

i'm also a fan of the 10% rule. i've had to suffer through some overuse injuries in the last couple years and it's not fun. can really hurt your morality and motivation as well. i pushed myself too hard too fast during a 12 miler last september and had to deal with achilles tendinosis. only in this last month or so have i felt like it's gone away.

thanks jack, though being from 'murica i'm not really sure what 4.06km pace means lol. i was wearing the shoes i had before my newtons last night and felt this pinching feeling on the bottom of my right foot most of the way. didn't think much of it, until this morning when i discovered a pretty sizable blood blister where that pinching had been. popping that was fun.

Edited by Rob060

I'll check this out later tonight. I run relatively seriously and am scheduled to race the Phoenix Marathon on Saturday, although I woke up feeling pretty sick today, so we'll see what happens. Goal will be 2:44-2:48 if I do get to run (PR is 2:52 from my last road marathon a couple years ago), so hopefully I'll be good to go.

said i was gonna do it yesterday but didn't. got around do doing a brief run today and it went well. took a path through campus that i'd roughly thought out beforehand. it wasn't as far as i thought, though and so i did a sort of figure 8. pretty satisfied with how i did. i'm not used to running on inclines (there are a lot around campus) and i managed to do almost three miles at less than a 9min mile pace. i was checking the ranks and was pissed though cause it wasn't showing up. for some reason it registered it as skateboarding...fortunately i could edit it.

that said, i had a weird feeling in my lower left back/hip area toward the end. there were stairs that i was going down to quickly i think. i don't think i really hurt it. it stopped feeling as sore before the run was even over and i don't feel it at all now. still going to make sure i play it safe. not running tomorrow, but if i start feeling anything like it again next time i'm gonna take a break for a little while. all in all i treated my body so much better today (lots of veggies and healthy foods) than i had been recently. feels good

Edited by wurm

been loving my newtons, but they're made for a specific running style [forefoot striking] and not for everyone. sadly, i frequently see people wearing them and pretty much always using them improperly out on the various trails and races i go to. they have a specific type of cushioning made for landing on the ball of the foot.

gotta be some of the ugliest shoes on the market as well.

TNL04596.jpg

Edited by Rob060

So payless has these dope murdered out Champion brand shoes. They look kind of like Nikes, but clearly they are Champion. I checked them out and they are super light and have decent construction. I imagine that the cheap running shoes of 2013 have the technological advances of 2010 expensive running shoes? Is it bad to run in "cheap shoes" that look legit? Will my legs fall off? Help

Is it bad to run in "cheap shoes" that look legit?

How a shoe looks is irrelevant to distance running. If you are serious about running go get your feet checked out at a proper running shop that will do an analysis of your gait, check you for pronation/supination and determine the best shape to fit your foot - brand and cost only really enter into it if choosing between several options which fit you the same way.

Hey does the Endomondo app not count Nike+ workouts? It's comes up on my profile Summary but on the group it says I've done no runs.

i synced nike+ with endo. I only use the nike app so it took endo about 2 days to update and be caught up with nike+

So payless has these dope murdered out Champion brand shoes. They look kind of like Nikes, but clearly they are Champion. I checked them out and they are super light and have decent construction. I imagine that the cheap running shoes of 2013 have the technological advances of 2010 expensive running shoes? Is it bad to run in "cheap shoes" that look legit? Will my legs fall off? Help

you could find a lot of affordable/great shoes from past seasons that is relativity cheap if your budget is tight

Ex:

LunarFly+ 2 Shield Water Repel

10.-NIKE-Winterrunning.jpg

Edited by Phongables

i synced nike+ with endo. I only use the nike app so it took endo about 2 days to update and be caught up with nike+

Yeah I got it synced up. I guess it does take a couple days to register. Thanks though! Can't wait till the rain stops. I need to go to a running store to get a pair of shoes found, I take running seriously enough that my grade 9 gym shoes don't really work now.

I'll check this out later tonight. I run relatively seriously and am scheduled to race the Phoenix Marathon on Saturday, although I woke up feeling pretty sick today, so we'll see what happens. Goal will be 2:44-2:48 if I do get to run (PR is 2:52 from my last road marathon a couple years ago), so hopefully I'll be good to go.

Haha, still sick at the start, but felt OK enough to run, so I did. I was conservative about it, raced smart, and thought I had hit a 2:49:59, but I apparently ran 2:50:00.1. Oh well, plenty of marathons in the future to break that barrier. I'll get the app and join the group as soon as I get bored of the nice weather and swimming pool down here in Phoenix. :)

Current shoe rotation is this for anything "whatever" and most long runs:

20157-2_1_1200x735.jpg

and a rotation of these for faster workouts and racing:

20144-2_1_1200x735.jpg

NIKE_ZOOM_STREAK_XC_3_4.jpg

Wore the A5s today. The Nike's are marginally lighter, but the toe-box is too narrow for a marathon, so they're mostly relegated to 5k/10k stuff.

Edited by cander49