Superfuture Running Club

jackg

went for a run this morning, started off like this:

1476197_10201049825231709_547907580_n.jp

about 5 kms in, turned into this:

1457468_10201049825111706_258970589_n.jp

after some serious seaweed doging-rockhopping action, slipped on a rock and felt my right calf go "rip"

had to hobble a couple hundred metres to this:

1426550_10201049830631844_1686868983_n.j

to hobble up to the road to call a lift home.....

should've stayed in bed this morning!

^ pretty bad, still can't walk properly, lol.

Looks like a few weeks recovery, hoping early next year =(

Just seems that every time I start achieving some level of fitness, I seem to get injured. Damn this non contact sport, lol. Played Rugby for most of my life and wasn't injured this often!

finished my first ultra marathon (50 miles) yesterday!  so sore, still deciding if it was worth, but completely changed my outlook on running.  

congratulations!!!! very impressive man. 

I have been battling with ITB in my right leg and its destroying what little motivation I had mustered up. 

How so?

before this 50, i used to think of running as an arduous task, maybe because i didn't have great locations to run around in (looking at you ordo).  however, during my run i was able to witness many different climate/scenery changes that just made me appreciate being alive and around to experience how wonderful running can be.  for example, never really ran in an open field underneath the night sky with visible stars and semi visible milky way.  just had a bunch of thoreau and walden moments i guess.  

congratulations!!!! very impressive man. 

I have been battling with ITB in my right leg and its destroying what little motivation I had mustered up. 

thanks jack!  you and the sufu run club big part of my motivation seeing you guys do all these amazing runs. 

my friend that i did the 50 with yesterday has a bunch of itb problems, don't know how he pulls through with it, but i'm sure you can do the same.  just gotta reignite that running/sport spark that got you into it in the first place.  

^ so impressed!

I am finally getting back into it, will do 40~ clicks this week but have recently been using Strava and haven't been near Endo. Strava I think is a far superior platform! 

if anyone else migrates across, which I highly recommend, track me down. 

Edited by jackg

• 2 weeks later...

parents got me this book for christmas, since i often don't have people my speed to run with and have mostly self-coached myself since getting more hardcore into running post-college. wasn't easy to find because it's not in print anymore. was published in 1984 and i've only read a little bit so far but the concepts and ideas they talk about are still relevant. would definitely recommend it, if you can find a copy.

78d4228348a0fd7a6ebbc010.L.jpg

also got some compression socks for recovery after hard runs, since my calves get a little cramped sometimes afterwards. i was a little skeptical of all the compression stuff out there nowadays, but after wearing them for a while the day after a run, i gotta say i'm turning into a believer.

Edited by Rob060

I have a number of methods to carry water, from the fanny pack/belt style to handheld strap style to backpack and I have pretty much stopped using anything but the Salomon Skin Pro 3 1.5 litre backpack. I keep it loaded with Stinger Waffles, GU gels, keys, money, salt pills and mountain pass at all times so I am ready for anything - if only to help out others who run with me who have bonked and need some fuel.

41968l5OcqL.jpg

Having said that, I have been after a Geigerrig Cadence pack for some time now.

rig_cadence_main.jpg

It is a pressurized water pack which means that you can put filtration in the line which means I can refill from natural water sources. There were a number of times this year where we ran out of water (or would have had a lot more to drink) on adventure runs had I been able to filter on the go.

From the website: "The award-winning pressurized Geigerrig Hydration System allows you to spray water to hydrate, share, clean, cool, etc.--anything you need.  The pressurization enables convenient in-line plug-and-play filtration for on-the-go access to natural fresh water sources.  When you are done, simply flip your Hydration Engine inside out and place it on the top shelf of the dishwasher for easy cleaning and drying.  The RIG Cadence is a lightweight, low-profile vest that can be used for anything your heart desires.  Plenty of convenient storage for your phone, keys, and treats."

• 2 weeks later...