Superfuture Running Club

jackg

Sorry for my disappearance recently.  I've been somewhat injured (hip issues, not super serious, but enough to knock me out of running for a few weeks).  Finally got back out today for a beautiful run up in Cardiff Fork.  I brought a camera along to take some photos and give my hip a little rest mid-run.  Here's a couple of them:

8642_10100333482545155_695016122_n.jpg

7038_10100333482495255_1378812510_n.jpg

This time of year is just fantastic...  100-ish degrees down in the valley, 80-ish up in the mountains during the run.

I missed my marathon planned for early summer, but I already had a couple races during the build-up that were stronger than expected, so I'm not as disappointed as I could be.  Planning for the future, I'm probably going to do another road marathon in September and then I'm itching to apply the strength I've developed over the last 9 months towards another 50 or 100 miler.  I'll only start a 100 if I think I can be competitive for the win in a legitimate race - if not, there's a fast 50 miler here in Utah in October, so it would be nice to take down my 50 mile PR (haven't run one since 2009).  For now, I just need to ensure that I become 100% healthy so I can start logging big mileage and hard workouts again. :)

Edited by cander49

great to hear your getting better collin (your looking pretty health above!!!) hopefully its a speedy recovery. Where to cop those christopher kane galaxy print running shorts? haha

I did the two bays full 56km run this morning, its a pretty tuff course with 1200~ elevation gain and the majority of it is single track. I am feeling pretty fit and healthy but it was much harder than I expected, and the last 20kms was a serious mind fuck, but great to be getting those longer distances your my belt and it ended up only taking us 5 and a half hours. 

my running partner got heaps of great photo's which I will have to post up when I get them off him but in the mean time....

AEdw6aR.jpg

Edited by jackg

That is awesome Jack! We did a really fun trail run on the weekend. Collected GPS data amongst the group said it was somewhere between 9 and 10km / 2200 elevation gain. The best part was coming back down the mountain running some black diamond single track mountain bike trails. You can always tell the trails named by mountain bikers because they are called things like Bitches Brew (the one we did), Big Stupid, Severed Dick, Shorn Scrotum or Cunt Busters - all real trails.

It is fun to go as fast as you can down a really technical trail where you are just barely able to hang on - and if you bail you are in some serious trouble. 

great to hear your getting better collin (your looking pretty health above!!!) hopefully its a speedy recovery. Where to cop those christopher kane galaxy print running shorts? haha

They are by BOA.  Runningwarehouse.com has those and a few other pretty awesome pairs.  I bought those, the US Flag, the green/yellow leopard, and the orange/black tiger print.  Definitely get some funny comments about my running shorts. :)

any one have problems with the auto stop on endomondo?i set the damn thing on auto pause, but it doesn't stop...bumped into some crossfit buddies on the sweat track and stopped and chatted for a bit, couple of red lights etc, my mate had about 1.5 mins less going by his garmin..anyone else noticed this? made sure i stood dead still too as I had the same problem last week..

next time i'll pull it out my pocket and do it manually =]

Chinesegold - best bet is following the 10% rule, so just increase your weekly kms by 10% and you should be a ok. 

Jbanger - i had similar issues with endomondo as well, i think its probably something to do with how often it connects with the satellite? or not getting a proper signal or something.

http://run100miles.com/ultra-resources/50-mile-training-program/

so i shared this link with our prodigal son, jackg, thought it might be useful for anyone getting into running longer distances/ultras/etc.  

I've done quite a few 50s and 100s.  Just some thoughts on that... For a first 50, this is not an ideal plan.

-Taking 2 days off per week is a bad plan.  Especially when doing super long distances, developing an ability to actively recover is important.

Don't plan an off week.  Odds are good that you're going to get sick at some point if you're pushing yourself in training for 17 weeks, so just take the off week when it's necessary.

-The weekends of weeks 10-13 are too much first time out for a 50.  That's just asking for an injury for most people.  I would recommend doing good long runs, but those are the runs that should be at race pace.  If the 50 is going to take you, say, 10 hours, you should definitely be able to do 4-5 hours in training at the same pace, which will allow you to practice your fueling strategies in a realistic setting.  I would suggest one weekend of back to back long runs, maaaaaybe 2, but absolutely not 4 weeks in a row of this.

-Those tempo runs are far too short.  "Tempo" is the sort of pace that can be sustained for roughly 75 or 80 minutes, ie roughly 10 mile pace to half marathon pace for more serious club level runners.  Doing 3 miles at 10 mile or half marathon pace isn't going to do much for you.  Tempo runs should be worked up to at least 8+ miles, even for a 50 miler.

-The author doesn't encourage marathon pace at any point.  Even for running a 50, having strength at marathon pace is quite important.  In fact, I would suggest that workouts stressing marathon and tempo pace should be the foundation for most individuals looking to run well at any distance of half marathon or longer.

-If you want to run your first 50 well, I would suggest making the plan more similar to a standard marathon training plan, just with two changes:  Have a mid-week easy day of somewhere around 13-18 miles to allow your body to become very attuned to the idea of a pretty long run without beating yourself up.  Also, do a small number of longer long runs in the 30-35 mile range, done at approximately 50 mile effort.

Edited by cander49

i have of late been really struggling to follow any sort of coherent running plan!!! i am not sure if this its a super bad thing or not. I just want to go and run alone nice trails as much as possible and not worry about repetitions, hill sprints, marathon pace or anything like that. 

Anyone else have a similar mindset?

Edited by jackg

Anyone else have a similar mindset?

I'm enjoying boosting my fitness and being able to see a side of places I haven't before. You miss a lot of cool stuff driving everywhere.

running/urbex club

Don't know if I'll ever get hung up on bringing my marathon time under 3hrs or improving pace overly or whatever - guess I'll see when I start running marathons

Just a heads up peeps! Get around "alpineworks" (Joe Grant) on instagram. He is giving live updates on Tony Krupicka's Nolan14 record attempt. 

Nolan14

• 100 Miles
  • 14 Summits, over 14,000 Feet
  • 90,000 Vertical Feet!!!
Edited by jackg

great tips!  gonna keep em in mind.  so would you suggest running all 7 days?  

and what amount of mileage do you suggest hitting per week/day?

How many days a week you run depends on what you can handle.  I would suggest 6 or 7.  Some people do better with 6, some with 7.  I don't like to take days off in heavy training, but that's just me.

Mileage is also based on what you can handle.  Mileage should be all about what you can do every week without overreaching.  Yes, you should have some bigger weeks and some easier weeks, but your average week should be sustainable for months at a time.  Figure out what level that is and increase it a bit (5-10 mpw more) each season.  Frequently going beyond 100mpw is debatable.  Some people respond well to it, while some get no extra benefit, even if they're capable of handling it.  Once you're able to sustain 100mpw, I think you'll have a pretty good idea of what you can handle.  Cameron Levins (2012 NCAA 5000/10000 Champ, multi-time Canadian National Champ, 11th in olympics at 23) frequently runs over 150 miles in a week, but Bernard Lagat (several time world champ, 2nd fastest ever at 1500, and a dude who got 4th in the Olympics 5000 at age 37) only runs 60, which is probably part of his longevity.  I think more mileage (up to 100mpw) is generally better, as long as you can handle it without injury or overtraining (it takes years to be able to handle this), but it's definitely a personal thing to figure out.

Trained pretty well this spring, did a half marathon UNTIL:

Fucked my knee up again. Surgery required.. Bye bye running for about a lifetime! :)

Fuck this shit seriously, will open about this on supertrash when I can contain my fury. 

^ sorry to hear that pal!

It's clearly that time of the year! I went for a 20km run on Saturday and had to stop half way through and walk back with this excruciating pain in my knee and running down my leg.

Apparently I have ITB friction syndrome so I am currently resting and hitting a roller up as much as possible. #runningwithdrawal 

Anyone else had that before? 

this week i started running myself. started off my first run at 2km, felt good. I have't been running much, i'm not fat but have bad condition that I'm hoping to increase! can i join your club or am I too bad? :(

living in stockholm sweden if that matters.

this week i started running myself. started off my first run at 2km, felt good. I have't been running much, i'm not fat but have bad condition that I'm hoping to increase! can i join your club or am I too bad? :(

living in stockholm sweden if that matters.

You're more than welcome to join house! Check the first post of this thread for instructions.

Hi everyone, I'm new here, I'd love to join the club. Just started running after a knee injury, think I will apply the 10% rule this time.

Any idea if I was running about 25k a week and stopped running for a month and a half, how slow should I start running again?

Edited by rna

how's the knee holding up Jack?

Its ok. I took a full week off, then I did a 10km easy run and it felt fine. Then all of last week I was at Uni Games for Hockey which if anyone doesn't know its kinda like spring break/schoolies but you play sport during the day and I didn't have any issues. Did 20km today and it hurt a little bit but nothing too concerning. 

I have a 50km race this Sunday which I already registered for so I am going to just go and do it, but I am far from being in a good condition! lol 

check out wiggle they tend to have the some of the best prices going around 

Ah yh thanks, but I'm in Europe so, I need to find the same for EU.

What is the reference (i forgot) of the nike that we literally see on every single picture of running event? What about Nike Free 5.0 affordable and seems good to me.?

if you are looking at nikes consider your running distance and surface you mostly run on. frees would be good for <5miles trail (or anything softer than concrete). in urban areas i would recommend something with lunarion sole.

Edited by danii