Superfuture Running Club

jackg

Would a Mr Anderson make himself known, because whoever you are, you are a beast. Your times are just ridonkulous.

On a side note, can anyone recommend a basic running watch to aid in interval training?

Edited by rirawin

Hey everyone. I haven't dropped off the face of the Earth. I did my goal race last week (BMO Vancouver Half Marathon) and managed to just come in just under 2 hours which I had hoped to do. I am now returning to the trails again for a while. A group of us from our running group got drafted in as pace group leaders for a trail clinic which has been fun.

I have also signed up for the Seek The Peak race in June - 16kms with 4100 feet vertical elevation gain. That will keep us busy doing the Grouse Grind and other trails for a while.

Power-walked to pickup my bib for sat. keeping the leg fresh. Acupuncture n' yoga tomorrow. Team shirts on deck..

DeVXTO9.jpg

hWAE0sK.jpg

BONUS

Russians x Flyknits

ggHjlPm.jpg

Edited by TruMoo

Two questions:

How do I avoid/deal with shin splints?

How do I avoid runners cramps?

For the latter it's such a hindrance for my runs, and I have no idea how to avoid them. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't. I thought it was lack of food/water before a run or an excess but it turns out it's not the case (at least for me).

Regarding cramps, I have been told that it relates to the amount of electrolytes you have in your system. I make sure to have loaded electrolytes prior to a run (salt pills are the easiest though I do take sports drinks as well) in the same way I carbo load the night before a long run.

8744224763_1bc5332d44_z.jpg

Really light and it's definitely a nice upgrade/replacement to the iPhone - at least I don't have to worry about this getting wet. Checking my stats as I run will be so much easier, well in fact possible now, whereas before I couldn't with the iPhone in a sports armband - unfortunately no Nike forearm sleeve for the iPhone 5!

It's a very basic running watch that has GPS. It has a basic interval training program titled "walk/run"; the virtual pacer is a nice addition, that some of the (older) Garmin models lack. They've integrated "average pace" thanks to the latest firmware update, a feature they apparently overlooked before release. 

Obviously there are pitfalls because it is an entry level running watch, mainly the 5 hour battery life (5 week standby) so not ideal for a slowish marathon runner. No heart rate monitor and you can't link a footpod to it. Also not suitable for a triathlon as it's pretty much useless for cyclists, despite being fully waterproof (up to 50m). Nevertheless it meets my own requirements, I really can't justify spending £100+ on a running/sports watch yet. I'll leave that for the pros ;)

recommendations on inexpensive (~$40) running shorts? looking for knee-length or slightly above knee-length shorts with at least 2 zipper pockets to comfortably hold my phone and keys. 

i was looking at the nike undercover ones, but i am not spending $70-80 on them 

recommendations on inexpensive (~$40) running shorts? looking for knee-length or slightly above knee-length shorts with at least 2 zipper pockets to comfortably hold my phone and keys. 

i was looking at the nike undercover ones, but i am not spending $70-80 on them 

you can find many running shorts at nikeoutlets for $25-35 (mostly black dri-fits). you don't need undercover shorts to run and all running shorts will Last even the shitty ones. 

I have a number of pairs of Gyakusou shorts which I love for the design, but really regular Nike drifit shorts do the job. In fact, they have an advantage over Gyakusou in one area - they have linings. I will generally only wear GIRA shorts over tights.

thanks for the help.

any specific models you can recommend? the shorts i've seen seem to only have 1 small zip pocket near the rear waistband. i'm still on the look out for ones with 2 or more zip pockets to secure my keys and phone. 

re: running sneakers

nike flyknit lunar 1

pros: they're incredibly sleek and lightweight. they really do fit like a sock. soft but responsive cushioning, similar to zoom air but less springy, and the flywire really helps lock down the foot. they're really a pleasure to run in. 

cons: durability and cost. the sole wears out very fast. i've had these for about 1.5 months and ran ~35 miles in them on paved roads, and the rubber is close to being worn out. for $160 sneakers, they're not durable enough for me to justify the retail price.

nike air pegasus 29

i've only had these for a few weeks, but i really like them. coming from the flyknit lunar 1s, they felt a bit more heavy/clunky, but i've come to appreciate the secure fit and soft cushioning. the waffle sole is looking a lot more durable than the flyknits, which is a huge plus for me. 

Edited by Phrost3

does anyone have recommendations for a completely waterproof running jacket? was considering something along these lines...

QEuJ8rb.pngz0WbXP8.png

but unsure whether I need gore-tex/paclite or not.

Edited by jackg

So summer is finally here!!

Did almost a half-marathon training run and look what I found in the forest! It was near a little stream and there was a guarded pool full of salmons. This old saw in the middle of forest was very freaking creepy... Yikes!

IMG_2913.jpg

got endomondo today and want to start running proper in the next couple weeks.

only issue is i'm getting blisters from my shoes whenever I wear them for more than 10-15 mins (they don't fit well - hoped they might break in a little but they didn't at all).

Money is tight for me right now (shoutouts to jackg) so I'm kinda loathe to buy new shoes - should I put them at the bottom of the list of commitments and get decent ones in the indeterminate future (at least 2-3 weeks away), or could I make do with your $60 pair of shoe store in house brand shoe? Would basic cross trainers do the job or are dedicated running shoes the go?

Haven't really ever run seriously in the past so I'm rather clueless as to shoes...