Superfuture Running Club

jackg

think i'm going to do the santa barbara half marathon in november. with my new job, i've pretty much lost all my long distance endurance. only been squeezing in 3-4 mile runs here and there, but i'm going to start trying to run before work more often and get back to it.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/midnight-half-registration-16879939353

midnighthalf2015poster600.jpg

REGISTRATION OPENS THURSDAY 5/7 AT NOON EST

Trimble Racing and Orchard Street Runners are proud to announce the 4th annual Midnight Half on May 30th, 2015 at 11:00pm.

This race is run on open city streets. Competitors must stay safe in traffic, avoid getting lost, and know the best possible route in order to have a chance at victory. Last year's winner Mac Schneider won with a time of 1:16:00. Leigh Gerson won the women's race for a 2nd year in a row with a time of 1:26:49.

Knox Robinson holds the race record with a time of 1:15:54 set in 2012. Leigh Gearson's time from last year is the women's course record.

New for 2015 we will be adding electronic timing and scoring by PR Timing.

Date: May 30, 2015
Field Limit: 100
Start Time: 11:00PM
Electronic Timing and Scoring

Prize Money (Men and Women)
1. $300
2. $150
3. $75
4. $50
5. $25

Entry fee includes start house facilities, bag check, race marshal support, electronic timing and scoring, water, bananas, post race refreshments and entrance into the after-party (free beer).

No refunds or transfers

Rain or Shine

Route and additional race info will be sent to all registered runners

Edited by TruMoo

resurfacing.....Wilsons Prom 100 | Race Report

The ‘Karman line’ is the official boundary of outer space. 100km. You’re not classified as an astronaut until you cross the 100km threshold. Last weekend, I ran this distance, with my legs, on the ground.

It was scenic, but gruelling. 25kms beyond any previous runs I had participated in, an un-supported event, almost entirely over a single technical track.

>Food Drop Fiasco

Friday evening, head off to collect our numbers and the race director informed us of the planned food drop location (Telegraph Track Junction). The race consisted of a 80km loop,  followed by a 20km loop. The first loop you have zero access to sustenance, with the exception of an infrequent rusty water tap. The drop point was about 60km in, but if we drove to a certain point the infamous location would, according to the race director, “only be a few k’s away.â€

It ended up being a little further than advertised. After a 12km warm-up run, finishing in darkness, we weren’t rapt. From there we bee-lined to the Fish Creek pub for some serious pre-race carbs. A few beers, a parma and half a steak sandwich later we were itching to go.

>Race day

The first thought that goes through my mind when the alarm roars at 4am is always the same…â€I have made a big mistake.†Thankfully this passes a few k’s in. A last-minute decision left me with a two pack configuration, a standard camel pack with two litres in the back and an AK racing vest, with another 1.4 litre capacity on the front. Great call Garner, as there were infrequent places to refuel, and the compulsory gear took up a bucket of room. The race itself was seriously difficult, although it is almost impossible to reflect clearly on that now. The notorious post-race runners’ high eclipses those seriously dark moments when you loathe yourself for ever starting.

Some basic facts in an attempt to articulate the sort of race it was. There were no course markings other than the trail markings which were irregular and often inconspicuously placed. There was no support on the course other than the occasional camp site with drinking water. The race traversed mostly hiking trails, with a few beach sections and a short boardwalk. The hiking trails were narrow, covered with rocks, and undulating, making it difficult to muster much more than one km every six minutes, and the course had around 4000m~ of elevation over the 100km. These factors compounded to create the hardest race I have ever completed.

The first 30kms from Tidal River, up Mount Oberon, to Sealers Cover and around to Refuge Cove I ran with a few other people. It was severe and I found it hard to find a comfortable pace, making up my mind I would be content to hobble over the finish line at all! The other runners around me kicked on, and for the remaining 70kms I ran almost entirely on my own, which I think worked in my favour. I found that elusive comfortable pace, hiked the hills and hit the down hills and flats as hard as I could. I churned through the next 20kms and found myself at the lighthouse with stunning 360 degree views. It sounds trite but having spectacular scenery accompanying your run really does give you energy and drive you never knew existed.

The next 10kms along the coast towards Waterloo Bay was a serious death march. A lot of vertical gain, hard technical single track and not another soul out in the jungle. When I finally emerged at Waterloo Bay I felt I had broken the back of the monster and ran back across Oberon Bay and up to Tidal River feeling relatively comfortable. I pulled into Tidal River before heading out on the last 20km loop, doing a 80km loop finishing at the finish line and then going out for another 20km was a serious mental battle but I tried to push through the transition as quickly as possible. I ran into a friend who gave me a hand filling up my camel pack and there were a lot of surprised looks and comments, apparently I looked to be in pretty good form. The last 20kms was hard, the calves started to cramp, my body started rejecting food and darkness descended. Pulling the head torch back on wasn’t much fun but with the end in sight the mental strength was easier to muster. The race started at just after 6am and I made it back to Tidal River around 7.30pm, a decent day in the saddle. 

Out of the 45 or so starters only 19 finished and it was a welcome to surprise to hear that I had come fifth place,  in just under 13 and half hours.

>Recovery

After my last big run (Mt Buffalo 75km) I couldn’t walk for almost a whole week. This race was substantially more difficult and 25kms further. I continued the standard JPG practise of no warm-up or cool-down before or after the race, however I did master a light jog Sunday morning. By Tuesday (the race was Saturday) I was almost 100 per cent. My neck and shoulders were sorer than my legs from carrying 6kg+ on my back. However I must admit I have been deathly sick these last few days which I think is a direct result of running my body and immune system down to almost empty. Once I start feeling semi-human again I will pull on the shoes and start pounding the pavement once more.

>Results

4eeBsbT.png

nxjX6RT.jpg

oFN3j5E.jpgTGpGLRR.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

yea, awesome story jack. crazy how far you've come in the last couple years.

new shoe time. trying out another new-ish/small company that designs shoes for natural running/forefoot striking. 

skora tempo

zero drop, ~7oz. they look a little more well made and durable than the altra one 2.5 i was about the pull the trigger on.

skora_ss15_tempo_m03_single.jpg

skora_ss15_tempo_m03_quarter.jpg

skora_ss15_tempo_m03_top.jpg

Edited by Rob060

Has anyone been following the Hardrock100 coverage? I have been obsessively following it since yesterday morning. Amazing race this year. Kilian killed it and now holds the course record going in both directions. He cut close to an hour off the previous course record - and that included getting lost in whiteout conditions at one point.

The women's battle between Anna Frost and Darcy Piceu was even more exciting. Anna took a lead into the 82 mile mark when the 3 time champion overtook her. Anna seemed done but her team spent 20 minutes at the station getting her going again. Anna left 30-40 minutes behind only to catch and pass the champ and take first place. 

One of our local racers, Adam Campbell, ran the first half in front with Kilian but ended up losing him in the whiteout and ultimately finished in third place. 

It was definitely a race worthy of the Hardrock legend. 

• 2 months later...

Well, I just finished my first race ever. Half-marathon at 1:46.  I have to say that within the past months, running has definitely made a huge impact on my life. I quit smoking and now run 3-4 times a week. The biggest difference is the energy that I have throughout the day. 

Can anyone recommend a shoe for long distance running (20+ miles)?

• 3 weeks later...