Superfuture Running Club

jackg

Has anyone here had experience with plantar fasciitis? I'm trying to find some shoes and any recommendations are welcome. 

I've had it for about 2 months now and it sucks.  Went to a physical therapist who gave me a bunch of stretches to do.  It's improving but still there.  I can still run with it, but not as much as I normally do.  As far as shoes, I picked up the Hoka Huake's.  They have a ton of cushion and are good for road and trails.  I also bought orthotics for them and any other shoe I wear.  I pronate, so I think that's what caused the PF.  So, not sure if there is any perfect shoe for PF.   But, I believe good orthotics helps in prevention.

^ Congrats!! Also did the marathon.  That wind on the Verrazano was ridiculous!!

Did the rook run in jersey this weekend.  Might do a 5 mile turkey trot or w/e this month and thats probably it for me for the rest of 2014.  Any races people are already looking forward to in 2015?

hiya friends! i am back out and logging kms. about a month or so into a solid plan and logging 60km~ weeks at the moment. feels soooo good. 

what watches are you guys rocking these days? my garmin 610 is on the blink......

some recent purchases:

0lBw5JI.jpg?150mLmMH.jpg?1%5C

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinking about getting the kayano 21's. Any recommendations for or against the shoe? I've used asics in the past with good luck. Would consider other brands as well. Run about 2-3 miles daily almost exclusively on streets.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to make this my first 1000km year. What targets you lot are gunning for in MMXV?

Also, I'm thinking about getting a pair of trail shoes and I'm keen to get some advice. Mostly dry, dusty and rocky (nothing too insane though) around these parts, so I'm looking at lightness and breathability over waterproofing. Nike Terra Kiger looks like it's up my alley, anything else tick those boxes?

I have kiger 2s, had kiger 1s (mostly for OCR). 

Kigerone took some serious beating, I tore the side top panel but the shoe remained snug and I ran with the rip for couple of days then sew it. Then part of the sole came of during a tough mudder so I returned the shoe. 

Bought the Kigertwo for the money. The flywire is nothing compared to regular nike models it's superstrong, The grip is amazing on those and the plastic parts are reinfocing exactly the parts I wanted to be reinforced on ones. They also get dry very quick.

I wrote a review for ZTK2 but it's in czech, but you can see the pictures. http://mudrun.cz/?p=106

salomon's look pretty awesome, and probably the first brand i'd look at if i were looking to get a serious trail shoe, but they're pretty damn expensive too. not sure how long they last. jackg could give some input there since he's had a pair for a while now.

Edited by Rob060

I have a pair of salomons as well. XA COMP4 to be exact.

4f5cc22e082ab66de2c80f37a23ebbd1b3d6ca97

I also know that nike is not really considered pro enough by most runners and I do not work for them, but if I compare the XACOMP4 to the KIGER2 I will still pick the kigers. Salomons are less flexible and the grip is not that good. I also had hard time getting used to them (I have quite wide feet and they hurt on the inside for longer than usual). The pros for these are that they feel more attached to your feet (and it's harder to get in).

never seen that model up there ^

they do look a little bulky and uncomfortable

i was thinking more along the lines of the sense 3, but yea, they're definitely heavy duty. made for trail ultras in all sorts of crazy conditions.

2473781-p-4x.jpg

Edited by Rob060

• 1 month later...

anyone have links to proper running form?

I think new balance sponsored this or something when they came out with their minimus shoe line, but I researched it a bit and after vetting it and incorporating the tips into my running I stopped having physical issues that I used to have (plantar fascitis, knee soreness).

I4Steps_Running3.jpg

Just go to a running shop and get fitted. What may be good shoes for others could be terrible for you.

Now that weather is good I am back to logging miles and hoping to get a lottery ticket for the Peachtree Road Race and might run a few 5k races before summer.

It seriously takes a few hundred bucks to find out exactly what type of shoes fit you the best. 

I'm a dude who wants something that has a little bit of cushioning but still wants to go the minimal / superlight route with a very small heel-to-toe drop. There are only a handful of shoes that fit the criteria.

I had a Saucony Kinvara for a few days. Hated the looks and didn't fit right. I just picked up New Balance Freshfoam Zante. 

The best running shoes I've owned. Also, inexpensive at 99. 

I'm really indifferent about Nike for running shoes. I feel they just cater to self-proclaimed gym rats and other people we don't like to associate ourselves with. 

Look for specialty running stores that allow free returns of shoes you've run in. I think there's an online store that offers this as well. This is probably only applicable in the US though. 

Road Runner Sports has been ok for me.  Depending on what day and who it is the sales people can get pushy, but going there to get fitted for shoes, checking my gait made the biggest difference.  You have to try on shoes theres really no other way around it imho.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here deal with patellar tendonitis? I got it two years ago and still haven't recovered, doc said I can either wait it out or get physio. Can't run more than 2km without it starting to hurt but I've read that running isn't great for it either 

• 2 weeks later...

FullSizeRender_zpsqmcpu2up.jpg

this is my homie walter fagnani, 90 years old and still running/walking the 100 km race of http://www.100kmdelpassatore.it

he's been doing that race every year for 40 years.

he's always happy and talking about enjoying life and places, needless to say he's a huge source of inspiration for all of us