Superfuture Running Club

jackg

This is a really cool thread!

Are people pretty much on Strava now or is the word still Ednomondo? I currently use Nike+ anyone using the "friends" feature on that?

Anyone here use the sports bands? I have friends across the board using fuelband, fitbit and the jawbone UP. So far the UP has been my favorite for features but the fuelband just looks so much better.

Untitled.png

all hail strava. been trying to slowly up the kms in preparation for the 75km race in a couple of weeks. i have been dropping weight pretty aggressively though...anyone have any experience with that? down to 66kgs at the moment, but have been eating like crazy. #thinspiration

Edited by jackg

• 2 weeks later...

clocked a 70km run on Monday. did it relatively slowly, a touch over 7 hours on flat terrain but it still put me through the mental wringers. Feeling better for it now though. longest run i have ever done and am starting to feel strong for my upcoming race.

i am thinking i'll need to invest in a new watch at some point, as the garmin chocked out after 5~ hours, any recommendations for the longer lasting watches? Suunto??

hows everyone else tracking?? any more converts to strava?

its been a little sporadic due to working hours, but probably around 80kms.

ever scared about coming across a giant snake or something? or is that more of an outback kind of thing? (serious question, i hear horror stories of aussie wildlife). i see you doing your ultra-marathons through the country, what happens if you get bitten and you're 30km down a single track somewhere? accept death? ;) or are all the reports i hear overblown? 

i read this recently and thought it was funny

i;m guessing your from adelaide? my mom used to live in there.. took the boat from ireland as a child w/ her family and it took 6 weeks! times have changed .. anyways, thanks for clearing that up. i will say though, watch where you're stepping and stay hydrated! 

Edited by joeyod007

ever scared about coming across a giant snake or something? or is that more of an outback kind of thing? (serious question, i hear horror stories of aussie wildlife). i see you doing your ultra-marathons through the country, what happens if you get bitten and you're 30km down a single track somewhere? accept death? ;) or are all the reports i hear overblown? 

i read this recently and thought it was funny

haha great read. the vast majority of snakes in australia are poisonous and a number that i see fairly frequently on the trails are relatively serious, but i think the general misconception is that you have more time than you think. that said 30kms deep with no mobile reception...things are looking grim.

i frequently come across big kangaroos (like ones taller than me [6ft]) on the trails as well, and have heard stories of them being scared by runners and in panic running towards the runner rather than away and causing some serious damage. 

and then there are the big cat myths which are tantalizing but i must admit i have actually come across something similar on my local trails. the ranger who i chatted to afterwards suggested it was probably a wild cat, a couple of generations deep that had grown large and aggressive. it looked pretty similar to the below. 

971547_mystery_black_cat.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/national/big-cat-mystery-deepens-as-zoo-keeper-claims-a-new-panther-sighting-in-mt-martha/story-fncynjr2-1226461774157

http://www.bigcatsvic.com.au/

i;m guessing your from adelaide? my mom used to live in there.. took the boat from ireland as a child w/ her family and it took 6 weeks! times have changed .. anyways, thanks for clearing that up. i will say though, watch where you're stepping and stay hydrated! 

yes mate, wow 6 weeks, that is incredible.

i think it's something like 9 out of the 10 most venomous snakes are Australian so I can certainly see your point.

i frequently come across big kangaroos (like ones taller than me [6ft]) on the trails as well, and have heard stories of them being scared by runners and in panic running towards the runner rather than away and causing some serious damage. 

and then there are the big cat myths which are tantalizing but i must admit i have actually come across something similar on my local trails. the ranger who i chatted to afterwards suggested it was probably a wild cat, a couple of generations deep that had grown large and aggressive. it looked pretty similar to the below. 

971547_mystery_black_cat.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/national/big-cat-mystery-deepens-as-zoo-keeper-claims-a-new-panther-sighting-in-mt-martha/story-fncynjr2-1226461774157

http://www.bigcatsvic.com.au/

fuuuuck. a giant kangaroo would scare the shit out of me. biggest threat i have on the trails is rattlesnakes. i come across them sunning themselves on the path somewhat frequently and have to take a little detour around them. we have bobcats in the area and i've seen them a good number of times but they're super chill. i've passed by them just trotting along the trail going the opposite direction as me and they give no fucks.

IMG_20140405_WA002.jpg

i ran the buffallo stampede 75km ultra marathon over the weekend

with around 5000m of elevation

the single hardest day of my life! it broke me well and truly but an amazing experience. 

dakota smashed it under 8 hours, and apparently said it was one of the hardest races he has done. 

i ended up finishing 37th overall and 7th in my age group 

with a time of 12hrs 15minutes 37seconds

Kind of an obscure question but does anyone who run here have slightly different length legs? I have a bit of scoliosis which has left me about a cm or so difference in the lengths of my legs. I don't really notice it except for on any runs over 10 miles I start to develop pain in my shorter leg. Anybody have any advice on how to avoid this? I've thought about inserts but I use minimalist shoes so that may not work very well.

What does everyone do here for carrying a phone or whatever you use to track your run? I only just started using my phone a few weeks ago (previously I just timed with a watch and used Mapmyrun) and I'm pretty sick of carrying it in my hand.

i ran the buffallo stampede 75km ultra marathon over the weekend

with around 5000m of elevation

the single hardest day of my life! it broke me well and truly but an amazing experience. 

dakota smashed it under 8 hours, and apparently said it was one of the hardest races he has done. 

i ended up finishing 37th overall and 7th in my age group 

with a time of 12hrs 15minutes 37seconds

Congratulations man, so inspiring!  

• 2 weeks later...

Left my convertible gyak jacket somewhere so i'm looking for a new running jacket.

Does anyone have recommendations on lightweight running jackets without a hood? doesn't get far below 10C in winter. pretty windy here and my gyak hood would parachute out with a tiny breeze

edit: also a lot of you guys are killing it keep it up

Edited by onek