Superfuture Running Club

jackg

^ super lovely shot. 

I have been working stupidly long hours of late so have been doing almost no running, hard to get back any momentum or rhythm when you don't have much spare time and spend most of it tired! 

anyone else migrating to Strava?? I think its a far superior platform and would suit the club better....

yea, i'm hoping to start a new job next week or two and it's going to really fuck with my running schedule. will probably have to start doing early morning runs before work.

i kinda got out of the routine of posting my workouts to websites. i'll check that one out.

@ jackg - happy with endo atm, plus have a couple months of premium left, what are the benefits of strava?

wouldn't like to lose my endo stats, I read that you can export/import to strava but seems like a pita doing it 1 by 1.

very interested to hear your thoughts though man!

^ any particular models to look out for?  

I finally got around to getting my gait checked.  turns out im neutral, flyknit 1s were among the shoes that were recommended for me, it was between that and the pegasus 30, but the flyknits won out because they were lighter..and on sale.  :ph34r:

kinda depends on what the trails are like where you live. nice thing about salomon and altra is that they have really well thought out shoes for different conditions and purposes. like a model for hard packed trails and speed work and one for looser rocky stuff and longer distances. altras are made more for people who use the forefoot strike technique, so they're not for everyone.

altra's putting out a new mega cushion model this year to compete with the hoka one one.

Edited by Rob060

the end of a 12 mile run in the swirling rain. stayed warm, so it wasn't too bad, but there were some long stretches where we weren't sheltered by trees and were constantly being sprayed in the face. first time wearing compression socks during a run. can't tell if they really made a difference. been wearing them after runs and for the next day or two after and i feel like they've definitely helped for recovery.

1602191_10152263725089260_889392187_o.jp

Edited by Rob060

@ jackg - happy with endo atm, plus have a couple months of premium left, what are the benefits of strava?

wouldn't like to lose my endo stats, I read that you can export/import to strava but seems like a pita doing it 1 by 1.

very interested to hear your thoughts though man!

Strava is just a slicker and more high tech version of endo. Better social vibe, also has "segments" which people have created and it automatically gives you a time comparison/placing against anyone else who has done a particular climb or run a particular route. 

I have been really enjoying using.

Having said that, all the cool people run in Salomon. 

:)

truth. now they just need to produce an all black pair and i will be happy  :)

finally been getting back into some serious training, clocked ~50kms last week and feeling stronger and fitter, also have had no IBT issues which is fantastic.

Planning on doing Australia's first "sky-running approved event" the 75km Buffalo Stampede in April and I am super excited.

excuse the super lame "aussie" teaser clip. 

Edited by jackg

• 3 weeks later...

Any tips for fueling/hydrating for a morning run? I've finally moved my sleep schedule so that I am up by 7:30AM each day and I'll continue to move that my waking time back as I add distance. It might just be general adjustment but I keep feeling dehydrated.

how far are you planning on running?

I run 3 mornings a week, between 10-15kms, I usually drink a litre of water in the 1/2 hour before I go (mind you it's been summer here and we've had record heatwaves of 42C+ and it's hot and dry even before 6am).

I run around the city parklands and also know where the water fountains are now and base my runs around these when it's hot though (and run through the sprinklers).

In saying that I drank 1/2 litre of gatorade before taking off this morning, ran 12kms (no water stops), got home and had a shower and a coffee before even feeling remotely thirsty...

lol, just reread this prior to posting and it probably doesn't help at all!

my 2 cents: i normally try and drink a glass or two of water before running. then if i am running up to about 15kms, i don't take or drink anything during the run, 15-30kms I take a 500ml hand held and anything over 30kms i will take a 2L camel pack. 

Edited by jackg

how much water / electrolyte stuff are you drinking generally,   I feel like ive been doing better overall just by drinking more water consistently everyday and not over doing it with the water right before i run. a banana helps too

Edited by Ryan

I carry a water bottle with me everyday, and I end up drinking 1.5-2 of those while at work (10AM-6PM). I drink two glasses of water in the morning,  and usually two or three glasses of fat free milk with dinner/with dessert.

Just from answering that question I'm guessing I should be upping my water intake in the evenings. My distances right now are pretty darn short. I'm easing back in to running by doing consistent, shorter distances, but I'd like to be back to 5Ks every day by the end of next week. I'll continue to push that out and see how far I can take it. I was invited to do a half marathon and made the decision that I'd rather spend more time outside running than inside a gym. So far I feel fantastic, and I appreciate the advice from the thread! Will definitely be of more and more use as I push the mileage.

Completely new to running, not really sure where to start? I have a route mapped out that will be good (I think), I'm just not sure where to begin. I don't have any clothes/shoes catered to running or working out, so I'd like to pretty much start fresh there with nice stuff if possible. Included in that are accessories, I don't have anything for water or anything, I have one bottle with a sealable lid but I'm pretty sure its too large and clunky to run with. Also, what's the best time to run, and should I run before or after eating? For clarification I live in Texas, so I'll be running in high temps.

Well, finally got out for another full marathon down in Phoenix, Arizona. I consistently put the work in since early/mid November, and got myself into significantly better shape than last year, when I ran 2:50:00 even. My goal this year was an aggressive 2:39:59 or faster, but the weather ended up being a mess (rainy, with a headwind along nearly the entire point-to-point course) and that cost everyone a few minutes. I went out at 2:39 pace and faded a bit in the windier second half, but hung on through some hellish miles at the end for a 2:42:07. Not sure how many actually showed up, but 3000 registered and I took 12th, with 8 of us from the Utah scene taking spots in the top 17. Pretty crazy. This was the fastest marathon I've run so far, and I've made a couple interesting conclusions from my training: 1. Consistency and staying healthy matter more than anything else. 2. Going legitimately easy on easy days, in order to save oneself for big workouts, is really important. 3. Keeping training sensible and not overreaching for too much mileage is the best way to do things. My biggest week in this entire cycle was only 88 miles, compared to my lifetime weekly max of 164. Keeping my mileage sensible (13 of my 14 big weeks were between 70 and 88 miles) allowed me to stay fresh for really big workouts. 4. Long runs with a fast finish are not usually fun training runs, but they're incredibly good workouts for people that struggle to run fast at mile 22-26 (basically everyone, as long as they're running at their potential).

Completely new to running, not really sure where to start? I have a route mapped out that will be good (I think), I'm just not sure where to begin. I don't have any clothes/shoes catered to running or working out, so I'd like to pretty much start fresh there with nice stuff if possible. Included in that are accessories, I don't have anything for water or anything, I have one bottle with a sealable lid but I'm pretty sure its too large and clunky to run with. Also, what's the best time to run, and should I run before or after eating? For clarification I live in Texas, so I'll be running in high temps.

Don't start by buying expensive things. Get a decent pair of shoes and a pair of shorts then see how it goes for you. You can always buy nicer stuff later. Accessory wise you don't need much, if you have a smart phone you can time/track your run with that. If you prefer, buy a basic Timex Ironman watch. Don't worry about water on a run until you get to much longer distances. Regarding when to run, what to eat, what to drink, etc. that's pretty subjective so just start running and see when you feel good and when you don't. Good luck!

Cool, good luck guys! I haven't run a step since doing a short cool down after the race on Saturday. I've been itching to get back out, but for long term improvement, this week off to fully recover (followed by a couple easy weeks) is a good idea. I'm planning on another in June, and hoping to take it to the next level. The finishing time next time definitely needs to be in the form of "2:3x:xx".