Superfuture Running Club

jackg

They should be arriving today so we'll see how they fit. :o

I used shoefitr to compare the Altras with my Newtons and it told me to go up half a size, plus lots of reviews said they ran small so I ordered a half size up from my Newtons.

I just signed up for a half marathon in April with the same charity group I usually run with.

Edited by Rob060

^ The elevation level difference will be a pain haha did you start already to train on different elevation track?

well the physio told me i have to stop running for 2 weeks (so from last week - so no running for 14 days, i'm dying) and I've done exercises twice a day to re-enforce some weird muscles that I lake of (really strange as I used them for like nearly 12 years and i just took a 2 years break from all sporty activity) - but near the end hopefully I will do my first 20km early December! Small amount but a worthy challenge for me!

Edited by Mr.Sander

Maybe you buds in here can help me out:

Recently started running again (after about 6 months of inactivity due to moving/find work/losing gf/etc.) and I am getting massive headaches after about 10 minutes. The headaches stop after about 5 minutes of inactivity though. Anyone know how I should go about remedying this? I used to experience this infrequently before but this time it's much more apparent. I run mostly on roads/pavement if that means anything (I'm assuming it may be the cause). Thanks for any insight~ 

got the sizing for the altras just right, which is a relief. took them out for 3 miles and they felt really good. enough cushion for half marathons but not too firm or too cushy feeling. the foot shaped last looks funky at first but gives your toes plenty of room and didn't make the shoe feel like a paddle. the cushioning and the rubber on the sole make the shoes super silent while running which is a nice change from my newtons, which make a considerable clacking sound from the lugs on the bottom. 

the saucony virrata and type A5 are also good options for zero drop, forefoot strike oriented shoes and i considered them but i wanted a little more cushioning than the A5 and the lack of rubber on the sole of the viratta might save some weight but it made me think the shoes would waste away in a few months. i don't know if the altras will last me over a year like the newtons, but they look more built to last than the sauconys.

Edited by Rob060

Maybe you buds in here can help me out:

Recently started running again (after about 6 months of inactivity due to moving/find work/losing gf/etc.) and I am getting massive headaches after about 10 minutes. The headaches stop after about 5 minutes of inactivity though. Anyone know how I should go about remedying this? I used to experience this infrequently before but this time it's much more apparent. I run mostly on roads/pavement if that means anything (I'm assuming it may be the cause). Thanks for any insight~ 

Do you were glasses? I guess you do from your symptoms, I did a total re-education of my eyes with my ophtalmologist and it's not better it could help a lot.

But if you are not, do you drink enough water (at least 2L per day), do you hit the pavement like a berserk when you run? Maybe try to be smoother when you run, it could be due to a really high pressure coming up to your head from the trust you put from each step, so if you are smoother in your step and have a more curvy foot each time, you may feel the difference (and I hope you have some running shoes at least).

I don't know if you get everything but if not, ask me i'll try to explain it better!

Yeah I do wear glasses! Used to wear contacts frequently but in the last year switched over to full time glasses. So should I go to my optometrist and ask for a re-education of my eyes? That sounds kind of funny haha, but it's worth a shot. Thanks for the clarification! 

Yeah I do wear glasses! Used to wear contacts frequently but in the last year switched over to full time glasses. So should I go to my optometrist and ask for a re-education of my eyes? That sounds kind of funny haha, but it's worth a shot. Thanks for the clarification! 

Does it only occur when you are running? Or maybe when you are in a state of fatigue? 

Mine were like hell, my eyes were burning, my vision was like a kaleidoscope my vision was all distorted and I always ended up vomiting then sleeping for a day … but since my re-education I never got that a single time, so at least it worths a try!

well the physio told me i have to stop running for 2 weeks (so from last week - so no running for 14 days, i'm dying) and I've done exercises twice a day to re-enforce some weird muscles that I lake of (really strange as I used them for like nearly 12 years and i just took a 2 years break from all sporty activity) - but near the end hopefully I will do my first 20km early December! Small amount but a worthy challenge for me!

so this might be a weird question but can anyone comment as to when they really started to love running? IE was it something you always loved doing and you hated it when you couldn't get out for whatever reason or did you have to train for a while to get to a point where you really enjoyed it rather than it being exercise/something you did bc it was good for you?

I only ask because I couldn't imagine it being so bad that I couldn't run for a couple weeks (though I wouldn't dig the feeling of losing fitness, progress etc). There are definitely parts of it I like, such as being fit(ish) and the ability to spontaneously run through other interesting spots/alter your route on the fly to do some exploring  which you don't really get in a car, but it's still something of a chore which I'm doing mainly for the fitness...

I'm wondering if it'll get to the point of being a passion of mine - like climbing (a physio telling me I could never climb again would be shit), or if I'll always be like "doc said I shouldn't run... oh well *TV*"

TL;DR - was running something you guys intuitively loved from the start or did it develop into a passion after a while of doing it?

Edited by philosophiliac

TL;DR - was running something you guys intuitively loved from the start or did it develop into a passion after a while of doing it?

I always loved pushing myself, and running even at the beginning was such a feeling of freedom that even if at the beginning it was only pain I was so excited as soon as I get back from a run to go on my next run two days later. 

After few weeks, no more pain, just freedom and joy, but if you start running just because you have to, for example for health issue or something or because its trendy (who knows!) I can understand that it may be harder to feel what I/we feel ! 

Yeah pretty much.

People staring and occasionally honking horns, etc.

Man I just wanna do my thing in peace.

I regularly run with women on both trails and roads - in fact I am almost always outnumbered by them. Maybe it is because we are in a mixed group but they are never bothered. If you really want to be left alone hit the trails and the mountains (with another person if you are really concerned about safety). There won't be anyone around to bother you.

i always played soccer and ran cross country and track in school and was good at it but i never just went running on my own. i guess i've always loved running but i don't think i really appreciated it until i had to lose 50lb and get back into shape after slacking off post-college. i realized how easy it is to just let yourself go and get fat like so many 25-35 year olds. diet change and running helped me lose the weight and get back into my high school/college shape. feeling myself getting faster and faster was pretty nice and developing a better running style helped make running fun and made me want to keep at it.

Edited by Rob060

I regularly run with women on both trails and roads - in fact I am almost always outnumbered by them. Maybe it is because we are in a mixed group but they are never bothered. If you really want to be left alone hit the trails and the mountains (with another person if you are really concerned about safety). There won't be anyone around to bother you.

don't get me wrong - I like running when there are other lots of other runners present but in the winter it seems that everyone disappears :(

also since my usual summer park is abandoned and also poorly lit during the winter (when I get off work it is already very dark) - I run on a lit bike lane close to my house

I am usually the only one running so non-runners sometimes try to talk to me and stuff

I don't know how some people are still running in shorts and t-shirts in November. It's getting pretty cold here in NY (low to mid 40s at night with wind chill) and I'm still cold wearing 3-plus layers. 

What are you guys wearing to stay warm?

Also, where are you guys keeping your keys and phones while running? The velcro arm bands are a pain in the ass - the get sweaty and throw me off balance. 

i need to worry about rain more than the cold in california and that's a little ways off still. i actually like running in the rain. once i get warmed up i really don't need many layers at all and wear shorts year round.

keys stay in my hand. phone stays in my car.

Edited by Rob060

beach runs argh

can anyone recommend solutions for carrying a galaxy s3 while running (music/endomondo)? pocket feels weird. just hold it normally but wanted to try something else

edit: armbands is probably the best/only other option (of course) but was wondering if there was any other kooky products out there

Edited by philosophiliac

I don't know how some people are still running in shorts and t-shirts in November. It's getting pretty cold here in NY (low to mid 40s at night with wind chill) and I'm still cold wearing 3-plus layers. 

What are you guys wearing to stay warm?

Also, where are you guys keeping your keys and phones while running? The velcro arm bands are a pain in the ass - the get sweaty and throw me off balance. 

im wondering the same thing.  Ive been using a nike half zip with a l/s compression underneath and nike running tights.  Went running today and the wind was just too much for just that. i used my torrentshell to deal with the wind but that thing does not breath at all, so im thinking about maybe some sort of fill vest but am open to suggestions for a shell/jacket

Don't tell me you do run without a thermal top?

Keys in my right pocket, phone in my left hand atm.

november's good in the southern hemisphere  :P

keys in either back or right pockets, I try and alternate phone between hands each km but generally left hand

Do you hold your phone out of habit or convenience to check your time/pace or is it because you have no where else to really put it? How are you keeping your keys in your pockets without them jingling the entire time? I know most of the running shorts/pants out there only have small key pockets made for 1-2 keys, which is a pain in the ass for me since I live in an apartment in the city.

im wondering the same thing.  Ive been using a nike half zip with a l/s compression underneath and nike running tights.  Went running today and the wind was just too much for just that. i used my torrentshell to deal with the wind but that thing does not breath at all, so im thinking about maybe some sort of fill vest but am open to suggestions for a shell/jacket

When I saw little flurries this morning, I knew it was going to be freezing today. I ran at night wearing my usual 3 layers - a short sleeve compression shirt, long sleeve waffle knit thermal, and a half zip mock neck fleece - and was still freezing. It was low-mid 30s - with wind chill it was below freezing tonight.

Do you hold your phone out of habit or convenience to check your time/pace or is it because you have no where else to really put it?

All of the above, lol

How are you keeping your keys in your pockets without them jingling the entire time? I know most of the running shorts/pants out there only have small key pockets made for 1-2 keys, which is a pain in the ass for me since I live in an apartment in the city.

Small keypockets ftw!

Here's a pic of my housekeys, I just take them off my main keyring when I go out running, jingle-free!!

got it from here -----> http://www.trueutility.com/pocket-tools-store/true-utility-tu45-keyring-system.html

photo.jpg