Superfuture Running Club

jackg

Companies that produce trail runners tend to hire elite racers to consult on their shoes, ie: Kilian Jornet with the Salomon S-Lab Sense and Scott Jurek on the Brooks Cascadias - possibly due to the fact that the shoes are less fashion-driven? Or maybe ultra runners are just a bunch of groupies who will buy whatever their heroes sell.

design is not only about the looks of the things but also about functionality. designers are beign taught anathomy and ergonomics. even a good looking shoe can be good for running. how does jun takahashi or mark ong look like they run and not this guy?

Companies that produce trail runners tend to hire elite racers to consult on their shoes, ie: Kilian Jornet with the Salomon S-Lab Sense and Scott Jurek on the Brooks Cascadias - possibly due to the fact that the shoes are less fashion-driven? Or maybe ultra runners are just a bunch of groupies who will buy whatever their heroes sell.

after trying several trail running shoes I followed a friend's advice and got myself a pair of cascadia8. Quite fuckin ugly shoes actually but they do their duty on the trails. I run much better now

• 2 weeks later...

Ran the Sapper Joe "Generous 15k" on Saturday.  I haven't been training much as it has taken a long time to totally kick that hip issue (I've finally been upping my mileage the last few weeks without issue, back to almost 50 miles this past week, hoping to be back at 80 or so within a month).  Anyway, I managed to have a pretty decent run, doing the 11 mile course with 2400' gain on single track and jeep trail in 1:21:45 (or so I thought), compared to the old course record of 1:28:xx.  Of course, a former top level D1 guy who ran 4:01 in the mile back in college beat me out for the win by a minute.  Anyway, I looked up the results online and saw that my time was listed as 1:22:45, even though my Garmin says 1:21:43.  It wasn't chip timed and some guy was just writing down times at the finish, so I initially thought that they had just made a mistake.  However, on closer analysis of my Garmin, it says time: 1:21:43, moving time: 1:21:30, elapsed time: 1:22:51.  Moving time being different from time makes sense as I passed under a bridge twice and probably lost coverage briefly, but I don't know what the difference between time and elapsed time is.  I don't think I stopped my watch the instance I finished, but I doubt I stopped it a minute later.  I had clocked the winner as being only 30 seconds in front of me a quarter mile from the finish, but I lost ~30 seconds on him when I missed the 2nd to last turn and had to backtrack just a bit.  I didn't stop my watch during the race, so I have no idea how the time and elapsed time are different.  There are no gaps in my Garmin's pace data or anything that indicate that it just accidentally shut off for a minute at some point en route (plus the buttons are pretty beefy, so it would take some serious pressure to depress them).  You guys are all into gear it seems, so do any of you have any idea as to how this could have happened?

Edited by cander49

@cander nice run pal. very impressive. I am almost ready to get back onto the track after almost a month sans running, motivation has suffered to say the least. 

In terms of garmin times, there is almost always a disparity in the "time vs moving time vs elapsed time" and sometimes its a little hard to pin down exactly why. This is what the faq section of the website says:

Time

Time is the recording time reported by the device. For Fitness devices, this should equal the Time value reported on the device. For other devices, this should equal the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity.

Avg Speed/Pace is based off the Time value.

Moving Time

Garmin Connect calculates Moving Time by removing the amount of time when the user is stopped. This is helpful for customers who upload activities with a Garmin device that either don't have AutoPause or have AutoPause turned off. For those who have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity, the Moving Time should be very close or equal to Time.

Avg Moving Speed/Pace is based off the Moving Time value.

Elapsed Time

Garmin Connect calculates the Elapsed Time by the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity. This is helpful for customers with a Garmin device that have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity. For those who don't have AutoPause or have that feature turned off on their device, Elapsed time should be very close or equal to Time.

I run on Brookes pureconnect, amazing shoes for any kind of surface. But looks? Super ugly. Only shoes that are designed with some taste are the New Balance Minimus, some editions. Too bad there hasn't been a company yet to combine good minimalist shoes with proper aesthetics.

Did you read about Jornet breaking the Matterhorn ascent and descent record? Crazy..

Edited by ordo

They are quiet nice indeed. I'd love to own these but more for the fact Kilian designed them technically, not so much for the visual. There's already a second edition if im correct, more ugly. What I just dont get is that all running shoes have to be bright and multi colored. It's impossible to find just a simple black or grey running shoe these days.

did my first 10k this morning, endomondo crashed and I can't combine workouts =( so actually shows as 2 workouts, total time of 1:00:38

happy with that, my goal was the city to bay this year which is 12k and that's in 2 weeks time, had a month off with a sore hip and only been back running for a week or so, should be OK now I guess

I really wanted to crack an hour for that one but I guess under 70 is more feasible, pretty sure this is under the average time for my age group anyway though, lol

yeahhh sufu running thread

I decided to start running in early june, I was a complete couch potato and I started getting disgusted with my gelatinous,inactive self.

Starting out (from complete zero) was tough, my body hurt like a muthafucka and I kept feeling out of breath and clumsy every time i went out.

I kept at it, going out 3x per week, trying to stay out for at least a half hour/40mins even though a lot of the time I was doing walking intervals. My goal wasn't to train for competitions or anything, just to keep fit. I bought a cardio meter and that helped me a lot to pace myself and not burn myself out.

Fast forward to today, I did my first 10km (in 60mins) !!!! whoo

Now I'm kind of hooked and want to participate in events and stuff though I'm still total beginner material

group hug everyone!

Ran another 14k fun run today, bit of undulation but got it done in 55:30. pretty stoked, bonked and spewed with 500m to go a few dudes overtook me as i kinda deliriously stumbled over the line and spewed again but feels good to be achieving some goals.

stopped running for about 2 and a half weeks.  then i realized i have to run a 50 miler in december, so I'm back to running again.  can't be lazy anymore.  what keeps everyone else motivated?

not wanting to get lazy and fat. and to keep improving my half marathon time.

it's about time to replace my shoes but they're newtons and expensive as fuck. i'll probably get another pair. they lasted me over a year when i was replacing previous shoes after 5-6 months.probably the best road running shoes i've owned and also the ugliest.