Superfuture Running Club

jackg

Go to a proper running store and have your gait checked out. They will be able to advise you as to what type of trainers you need, whether you need support etc. It's important to get a trainer that matches your running style, if not you run the risk of injury later down the line.

Wouldn't start off with a Nike Free run personally, they're more aimed at those transitioning from supportive trainers to running barefoot... bit much (or not enough) for a person just starting off.

Edited by rirawin

^^ 

this. my wife went to road runner last weekend and they were really thorough about checking her gait and explaining what everything meant and not pushy at all in terms of selling shoes, im planning on getting myself checked out soon..

I spent the weekend up in the Blue Mountains supporting my friend who was doing http://www.thenorthface100.com.au . It was a fantastic event and my friend absolutely smashed it coming in 17th overall and 2nd in juniors and beating his goal time of 12 hours by 53 minutes! On the downside to seeing all this great running was that im 99% sure i have a stress fracture again so thats me done with running for 3 months or so =(.

Go to a proper running store and have your gait checked out. They will be able to advise you as to what type of trainers you need, whether you need support etc. It's important to get a trainer that matches your running style, if not you run the risk of injury later down the line.

Wouldn't start off with a Nike Free run personally, they're more aimed at those transitioning from supportive trainers to running barefoot... bit much (or not enough) for a person just starting off.

Running in Free stuff just goddamn kills my achilles for some reason.

Running in Free stuff just goddamn kills my achilles for some reason.

Maybe slightly related, but I was reading a few running articles and it has been advised by Physios and other experts that interval training shouldn't be undertaken immediately by those who have just started running on a regular basis. They believe that you should take a year to develop your running i.e. increasing you distance as you run more, and to have accumulated at least 300 miles and/or running 16-26 miles a week, before even considering light interval training. They say this is to allow your body to get used to the "pounding and stress" it goes through when you are running - something your body may not be or isn't used to.

It makes sense to me... and that's why I'll be spending the next 6 months working on my distance before I start interval training to improve times.

Back to your statement, I guess it could be applied to Nike Frees, I know they're meant to improve your gait and strengthen the muscles you don't normally use etc., but if you aren't a seasoned runner, running in them could increase the stress on your body. I also read that they shouldn't replace your high-mileage trainer and realistically be used once a week for short runs - most definitely applicable to those running on concrete/hard surfaces.

interval training can totally be used in conjunction with distance training. it can help with distance and gait as one cannot really sprint all-out with an incorrect gait. you just have to ease into it and read up on it while listening to your body.

that advice being said, i totally botched my first marathon in Fargo last Saturday. Went out too fast, weather and humidity ramped up and i smashed face first into the wall around mile 18/19. so, my advice should be taken with a grain of salt.  :blink:

to those who have flyknits, has anyone ever had issues with the bottom black sole starting to rip off? i run maybe twice a week and tried to return em to nike, but they declared it as regular wear and tear. kinda disappointed. i don't think chunks of the sole are supposed to rip off

which flyknits do you have? i've had durability issues with my flyknit lunar 1s with the black rubber pods on the sole wearing out very fast. i've emailed nike about them, and they said that if you purchased them from an authorized nike retailer (footlocker etc), it would be more convenient to deal with the retailer for returns/exchanges due to issues

i have the trainers. yeah i went to niketown (where i bought them) and the manager said "yeah i have these too and i see the same type of wear." she sounded so fake and seemed like she just didn't wanna deal with it considering nike has a 2 year warranty

I'm tinkering around with the idea of making my own pair of running shorts.

Other than the Niike Undercover shorts, I'm having trouble finding a pair that have at least 2 zipper pockets to comfortably keep my phone and keys secure without flopping around. I like the styling and functionality of the Nike Undercover shorts, but not the price.

Would any of you be interested? I'm thinking of something with a 6-7 inch inseam in a breathable water resistant fabric with ~3 zipper pockets to hold essentials.

completely unscientific observation Ive had when ive handled flyknits that they totally look and feel like theyre not made to last, they still seem gimmicky to me i dunno.

Phrost3: Curious to see what you can come up with, ive toyed with the idea of trying to make some basic work out clothes (shorts/tights) for myself or at least with alot of help with friends and family who are familiar with garment making etc.

Chinesegold:  more of a general answer but Ive been watching alot of youtube videos regarding this and there seems to be a decent amount of good info on it.  Also, I use Zite and have a section for running, most of the time the articles have been just good for my general running knowledge.

So I ran another 10k today, and managed to shave off a couple minutes off of my best time.  I was pretty stoked about that but never the less, Im still painfully slow and have to work on my form more.  

About a mile and a half into the race i decided to run without my headphones in and for whatever reason, i feel like it helped me out, i think more because instead of using it to pace myself, it was distracting me because im still at a point where Im trying to make sure my running form isnt too sloppy and i found myself talking outloud to remind myself. hah. wow sorry i totally rambled on..

9Z37pQm.jpg

after run to top of treasure island! (10, jk 500m above sea level ;___; )

bwEYRYd.jpg

instead just did a casual run along seaside. B)

Edited by sarang hae

just got back from my longest, fastest run to date, stopped endomondo on my phone when i finished, only to have the stupid app shut down and lose my workout info...

oh well, have to just go further & faster next time!

Hey guys - I have basically given up trying to track my runs with my iphone - the GPS is just not fine enough or accurate enough for trail running (though I still use my Garmon watch which is much better). I actually completely forgot to track last night's run.  Last week I ran a couple of 13+km trails and one came out as 9.8 and the other also under 10km (that is after it stopped in the middle of the run). It was explained to me that the accuracy of the GPS tracking depends on how often it takes samples. It doesn't seem to like switchbacks or circling about as it just picks certain points and then plots the distance between them which leaves a lot of distance out.

Anyway, still out there running and doing a lot of uphill training - I haven't forgotten my fellow #sufurunningclub members.

i can no longer run with my iphone. it seriously annoying during long runs.

I need the most ballin gps watch money can buy!!!!

garmin forerunner 610 is what jack and i have and it's pretty damn nice. think it's one of their top end models as well.

damn that was exhausting/exciting. bad time but there were very long waiting times on the obstacles. so spartan sprint finished 1:44 (1523/2560 place). need to train more for next year!! AROOOO!