Superfuture Running Club

jackg

been running everyday the last week except the weekend and ran today but my muscle pain is killing me. Any tips?

make sure you are warming up and cooling down properly that is super important. also days off are vital, as it gives your body a chance to recover and thats when your body actually starts getting fitter/stronger.

also try and use the 10% rule in terms of workload increases, only increase the weekly kms but 10%.

Just joined the group, thanks for adding me Jack. Been running for a year and a half, trying to get ready for the Vancouver Half on May 5th but struggling with plantar fasciitis currently. Would definitely be down for a t-shirt but don't know if I would wear "SHITS", bad case of foreshadowing?.

yeah not sure I love the SHITS acroynm to be honest, i feel we can do better.

What sort of heart rate monitor set up are you running with andrew?

What sort of heart rate monitor set up are you running with andrew?

I'm using the Garmin heart rate monitor with the 305 watch. The HRM is sort of fickle as it won't provide an accurate reading unless the conditions are ideal, mostly not too windy nor too cold

I think the general consensus is if you have a mild cold or allergies it's totally fine. But if you have the flu, a fever, any kind of infection (sinus, throat, bronchial) or any digestive problem, it's better to rest and take it easy until you kick it.

Also I know that certain medications like decongestants can increase your heart rate, which might not be great if you're exercising extensively.

-Dr. Timber.

I think the general consensus is if you have a mild cold or allergies it's totally fine. But if you have the flu, a fever, any kind of infection (sinus, throat, bronchial) or any digestive problem, it's better to rest and take it easy until you kick it.

Also I know that certain medications like decongestants can increase your heart rate, which might not be great if you're exercising extensively.

-Dr. Timber.

As a resident sufu Medical Professional (unemployed newgrad). DO IT! yolo.

- Man Nurse

thank you doctor timber and man nurse!

Edited by valdizno

Getting training going again, for Utah Valley Marathon this time, so I just uploaded everything for the past month, which has been quite light, up until a few days ago. Looking for sub-2:46, I think (we'll see how I feel about training right before the race). I'm already pretty fit (just ran 2:50:00 with a bad cold in early March), so I have 8 weeks to fine-tune things and run a lot of miles before tapering. Should be good timing. After 4 days, I'm on track for a good 80 this week and am hoping for 6 of the remaining 7 weeks to be at least 80, maybe with one backed down to around 70 halfway through.

Edited by cander49

Getting training going again, for Utah Valley Marathon this time, so I just uploaded everything for the past month, which has been quite light, up until a few days ago. Looking for sub-2:46, I think (we'll see how I feel about training right before the race). I'm already pretty fit (just ran 2:50:00 with a bad cold in early March), so I have 8 weeks to fine-tune things and run a lot of miles before tapering. Should be good timing. After 4 days, I'm on track for a good 80 this week and am hoping for 6 of the remaining 7 weeks to be at least 80, maybe with one backed down to around 70 halfway through.

How long did it take you to get to a position where you're running sub 4 minute KMs over that kind of distance?

How long did it take you to get to a position where you're running sub 4 minute KMs over that kind of distance?

I ran my first marathon in Fall '06 in 3:52 on a few weeks' training after being an average high school XC/track runner for 2 years and a very mediocre D3 college runner for a year (so 3 years total half-assed running). After another 5 weeks of just running a moderate bit of miles, I ran 3:38. I trained hard for the next year and got it down to 3:00:10 in Fall '07 (lots and lots of mileage, as I did a few longer races, up to 100 miles, in between). I snuck under 3:00 the next Spring and then in Spring of '09, I ran 2:53 and 2:52 a month apart (just above 4:00/km). Actually, after that, I had an injury prior to my Fall marathon and then I got mono, which prevented a Spring one. I tried to train through mono and got really really sick, so I didn't run at all from Summer '10 to Summer '11. When I started running again in Summer '11, I had to drop 30 pounds, which took a little while, and I had no speed, so I didn't do a road marathon again until this past March, when I ran 2:50:00.1 (I wanted sub-2:50... hah...) with a bad cold. I figure I was good for 2:47 if healthy, so I'm going to train a little harder and try to run a little faster early summer.

If you want to run a good marathon (and I'm not there yet, but I'll get there), these are the keys, in my opinion:

1. Mileage. You can't run fast for a long distance without training a lot of distance. My highest week of training I've ever recorded was 164 miles, and that was actually with a day off. This many miles isn't necessary, but 70mpw should be typically be pretty comfortable.

2. Being well-rested for workouts. Seriously, easy days have to be easy or the days that count won't be at their full potential. This is really really important. For example, Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya (2:03 marathoner) does a couple easy runs every week at 8:00/mile (ie 3:30 marathon pace), which is obscenely slow for someone that talented.

3. Hammering really hard long workouts frequently. Tempo runs (60 minutes at a pace that would kill if you if you ran it for 70-75 minutes), wave workouts (alternating just over and just over marathon pace for 15-18 miles), and 15-18 miles of marathon pace with tempo surges mixed in for a mile here and there are my favorites. At the beginning of a training cycle, I can't hit these workouts, but by the end, I do something like this at least once a week.

4. Consistency. This is way more important than most people realize.

5. Staying healthy. When I did stupid things to my body and tried to train through serious illness, I literally set myself back a few years. Listening to your body helps you avoid injury and long term illness and then you won't waste time in getting faster.

I think most younger men should be capable of close to 3:00 flat off a couple years of very focused training (if reasonably active before running), but it will take dedication and the willingness to put in miles when you don't want to.

Edited by cander49

Started running in conjunction with school starting again. Ran a short neighborhood loop then ran sprints around my lock. Heading out again this morning, and trying to get my neighbor to start running with me. Probably getting an iPhone in the next few weeks so I'll get the Edmondo app and start running with the big boys.

Wow I haven't been SUFU in a hot minute and just came to this. Very intrigued. I run a 5k every other day as part of my workout before strength training and am interested in trying for my first half marathon. My bestfriend completed one and was out of work for four days after, so I'm naturally nervous.

Is there anyone from Miami?

had a newton rep come out for our latest track practice to give people a nice lesson on forefoot striking and let people demo the shoes. had no idea the guy was going to be there but showed up in my newtons and got some free socks because i was already a newton runner. the socks are bright enough to burn your retinas if you look at them too long.

to the seasoned runners here,

am planning to run a full marathon at the end of the year

any tips on how should i do my conditioning runs?

furthest i've ever tried is a half marathon 21k and it was real tiring for me

Edited by huatzai

My left leg feels like it needs to get amputated. Attempted an ultra today (31 miles) and bitched out like a peasant loser on the 24th mile. Took the subway back in shame (BR HQ) The first 15 miles was fun... high fives,chest bumps etc. Then reality kicks you in the face at Mile 18+. The whole time I had to take a massive shit. I think we only had 2 breaks about 2 minutes each. My body was not ready.

On a sidenote. Ran thru Brighton Beach on the outlands of BK. It was like running thru Russia near a dirty beach. sketchy as fck.

Edited by TruMoo

One thing that I do that helps with improving my recovery and overall running performance is Bikram Yoga. Strengthens my knees a lot and helps with my pace of breathing. Highly recommended.

The whole time I had to take a massive shit.

funny. this is one thing i always worry about before/during a race because races are so early in the morning that i don't get to take my morning shit. during the worst race of my life i had to stop at a portapotty when i was running at PR pace... but that was the least of my worries. after mile 10 i started throwing up and kept throwing up every 5-10 minutes and couldn't keep any fluids down. walked the last 3 miles in a daze, dry heaving here and there and got taken away in an ambulance and stayed in the hospital, nauseous and with an IV in my arm until late at night because i was so dehydrated. never felt so horrible in my life.

Edited by Rob060

warmup, ~2miles, sprint, cooldown. Miserable weather for someone with mild asthma. :/

@Rob

I think if I had my usual morning coffee and shits I could of finished the 31 miles. I felt extremely bloated during the entire run. Btw the entire week I went carb-less. Read some stupid online article where carb depletion makes you a stronger runner (so that you can deal with stress a lot better in an actual marathon). Not sure what effect it had on me but watever. This morning I felt like death. Couldn't get outta bed. Should of iced my knee prior to bed but fell asleep.

Edited by TruMoo

First truly specific workout for Utah Valley Marathon today. Since it's early in the training cycle (2nd week), this is on the easier side of things, but they'll keep picking up.

Workout was 12 miles, with 9 at marathon pace, 2 at tempo pace, and 1 at 10k pace, so basically a progression with an emphasis on quality after a number of miles at marathon pace.

9 miles at 6:22/mile (MP goal pace is more like 6:18, but it's my first serious workout back!), 2 miles at 5:56/mile (tempo is probably more like 5:50 when I'm really fit), 1 mile at 5:33. The marathon pace was riding a nice line of feeling fast but remaining pretty relaxed, the 2 tempo miles felt relatively hard, and the 5:33 12th mile nearly killed me. This is very in line with what I expected, so I'm pretty pleased.

I'll do another workout like this in the not so distant future, except that I'll just be running 3 tempo miles instead of adding on a 10k pace mile, and then I'll attach another (hopefully) 4 marathon pace miles at the end. It will be a really really hard, but it will force my body into developing efficiency at low-6:00/mile pace when my legs are feeling pretty dead.

Workouts with this sort of emphasis (especially the longer one that I'm planning for next time) are really great, and they're recommended pretty heavily in the Daniels Running Formula.

Edited by cander49