Superfuture Running Club

jackg

going to try to get more days in for repeats. my running schedule and locations are pretty packed and set in stone as it is, so i probably won't be able to do it once a week unfortunately.

going downhill too fast can be bad news though. maybe not as bad on dirt trails but i really screwed up my knee for a while from the impact of taking a downhill section too fast on asphalt. was my first running related injury. for months after that i couldn't run more than 3 miles without a debilitating sharp pain coming into the joint and forcing me to stop. i've always taken downhill sections pretty gingerly ever since.

Last paragraph has got me a little paranoid. Since being back in the UK and running a different route, a more "hilly" one, I've found a slight dull ache in my right knee the day after the run. I think it's stemming from a ligament or muscle as it's behind the knee cap itself to the left side. This never occurred before while I was out and about running on a flat tarmac in Taipei. The decline in my new route isn't that steep but as it is in the early part of my run (first 1km) I tend to "pound" at it at a fairly quick pace. Also as I'm running on pavement some areas of it dips at an angle as the roadside curb drops, meaning that I'm not always running on flat ground.

Apart from icing up my knee, which actually does help, and taking it slower/zigzagging it downhill, is it perhaps a sign of something else? wrong footwear? Bear in mind I dislocated this knee cap about 10 years ago from a sporting injury, had physio etc. haven't noticed anything wrong with it until recently.

Edited by rirawin

"TRUMOO" now THAT is a brand name

Oh and keep hearing about the virtues of foam rollers, I still can't work out exactly what a knot supposed to feel like though.

Isn't pre-run stretching more important when you're running in the cold?

http://running.about.com/b/2011/02/22/study-finds-pre-run-stretching-doesnt-prevent-injuries.htm

Edited by PAND

Envious of you guys already running in good weather.

Getting caught in a bit of snowstorm... I'll be singing the treadmill blues for the next month or two

yeah i generally go for dynamic stretching before, then a bit of dynamic and a more static after.

any suggestions for running specific headphones??

I got these water resistant Sennheiser. The frame around the back of the neck holds them in place very well, and I hardly feel them behind the ears even on longer runs. You can rinse them after use. The only drawback is the volume control, which is too heavy and bulky, but I usually detach it.

NQhKCRc.png

TruMoo reppin SFRC here. thx ordo :laugh2:

TIP OF THE DAY: Chugg about a 1/4 Gallon of TruMoo after a long run before bed. You will feel fine the next day. Guaranteed!

uphill running about a 2 mile stretch (Edgewater into Fort Lee) kicked my ass yesterday.

QN1VViw.png?1

oCvSCfg.jpg?1

Ehit7Q0.jpg?1

fkYWowC.jpg?1

tZQESQQ.jpg?1

Edited by TruMoo

Anyone have any experience with calf tension? I was doing a 10 k yesterday but half way through the muscle tensed so badly I had to walk the rest. Stretching helped a bit but it's still pretty bad.

I have this problem all the time. I make sure to do a bit of dynamic stretching of the calf before running which generally helps. One easy warm up is to stand with one leg forward and one leg back (in standard calf stretch position) - then slowly raise the back heel and then lower it again pushing it flat against the ground. Repeat at least 10 times then switch. That is usually enough to get my calves warmed up.

Calf-Stretch4.jpg

You can always use a foam roller between runs to work out any knots or tensions in the calf muscles which will help when you go to run.

EDIT: this is assuming you just need a quick warm up - if the problem persists or if you have pain you could have a strain or tear in which case stretching is not the best course of action. You should definitely ice after runs when you have pains such as this.

Also, there are two muscles in the calf - the Gastrocnemius and the Soleus - the stretch you do depends on where the tightness is that you are experiencing.

calf%20anatomy.jpg

Id be down with shirts.

I almost trod on one of these today. Was pretty awesome, little fella just scrambled off the trail and tried to dig down doin the whole "i cant see you so you dont exist" thing.

f_echid10.jpg

S.ufu

I.nternational

R.unning

A.ssociation

Yes this definitely needs to happen! We could just buy some dri-fit nike tops and get them screen printed? Unless anyone else has any ideas? Any inspiration over the design?

The guy I run with from work (who does trail marathons) and I started a "Running Monks" team and we want to get "Running Monks" inspired tattoos lol, yet to work out what they would look like exactly though. any ideas?

We are up to 24 members now in the group - not bad for a bunch of superbored shopping experts.

Very impressive indeed! helps keep you motivated having lots of people involved, although I sometimes struggle connecting the real name with the sufu user!!

also i have been a bit slack in the "challenges" department so i will try and create a few tonight for the group.

Went for a really nice run this morning, did part of the two bays track which is predominately through national park and lots of up and down to keep you working hard. i think next year I will try and do the full 56km race.

bXMMazQ.jpg

OEEDYhy.jpg

Edited by jackg

Yes this definitely needs to happen! We could just buy some dri-fit nike tops and get them screen printed? Unless anyone else has any ideas? Any inspiration over the design?

The guy I run with from work (who does trail marathons) and I started a "Running Monks" team and we want to get "Running Monks" inspired tattoos lol, yet to work out what they would look like exactly though. any ideas?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaih%C5%8Dgy%C5%8D

always found this interesting. I don't have a ton of experience with photoshop and the like but I'll ask a buddy.

Just need a Design. (black preferably)

http://www.6pm.com/n...r?zfcTest=mat:1

Gonna swing by 21mercer tomorrow to check these out.

Nike Free 4.0 V3 (Anthracite)

33e9a080971e11e2945c22000a1fb1eb_7.jpg

Edited by TruMoo