Best laptop

swapnakarna

^ u wont get any respect with dat at starbux tho

if the op is asking about best laptop then that's all i need to kno what he needs it for.

get 13' Macbook Air for everyday use. the 13retinaMbp had a recent price drop as well if u have the funds.

Edited by Phongables

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have an MBair. It is my favorite possession. I can't believe i used a PC for so many years. The transition has been great, and honestly, if you max out the specs for an additional 200 it's as powerful as a pro, and it's about as light as an ipad. I use mine for work, recording music and media related things. 

• 3 months later...

planning on getting this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-W530-i7-3740QM-FHD-16GB-512GB-SSD-K2000M-/171156169925?

thoughts? i'll use it for architectural work + surf and the occasional gameing

on one right now

its pretty heavy, but fast/powerful

not like the old IBM ones, thermoplastic can crack/chip (happened to me) + keyboard is diff. if that's important to you

not recommended for gaming, much cheaper options (it uses "Nvidia Quadro K2000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory")

prob good for architecture stuff tho i'd assume

My 13" 2008 MBP is on its last legs so I'm looking to upgrade to one of the newer MBPs. I'll probably go for the retina, but I'm not sure weather the 15" is worth the extra $500. I program for a living and the 13" has been a bit limiting in Eclipse/Xcode, but I don't know if scaling on the 13" Retina will give me the space I need, or whether the 15" is the way to go. Anyone have some insight?

Edited by dimmak

Programming on MBP? Where dey do dat at?

But I'd suggest a 15" if you feel limited on workspace. I use a 15" now after previously having a 13" for photo/video editing and the increase in screen size is much more helpful than you'd expect it to be.

Oh no I've seen it before, I just work in IT and the majority of my coworkers are very into programming and their consensus has been that Windows provided a more ideal programming environment haha. Personally, I'm not huge into programming and coding outside of the basics so I don't really have an opinion on which is better.

Most of the developers where I work use Macs or custom machines, usually running OS X or some flavor of Linux. I know a few who use Macs and have Windows on Boot Camp, but not many. The main reason I want to stick with Mac is the form factor and that I get a pretty substantial discount through my company.

Isn't there a new Macbook Pro launching pretty soon? Damn. I'm so out of the loop on what's coming out. The MB Pro I got back in 2012 is already slowing itself down. WTF. It's only been a year (almost two). How long do Macbooks usually last you guys? I use mine a lot for Photoshop and Dreamweaver and I'm always on it. I don't think I've even ever really shut it down much unless I'm travelling, maybe that's why it's getting all whack.  

• 7 months later...

Isn't there a new Macbook Pro launching pretty soon? Damn. I'm so out of the loop on what's coming out. The MB Pro I got back in 2012 is already slowing itself down. WTF. It's only been a year (almost two). How long do Macbooks usually last you guys? I use mine a lot for Photoshop and Dreamweaver and I'm always on it. I don't think I've even ever really shut it down much unless I'm travelling, maybe that's why it's getting all whack.  

working with photoshop and dreamweaver will tax your RAM pretty heavily especially if you aren't emptying it by power cycling your laptop. often times a fresh install of your OS will really speed things up again as well. I have a 2012 macbook air that's still running beautifully.

working with photoshop and dreamweaver will tax your RAM pretty heavily especially if you aren't emptying it by power cycling your laptop.

wat

My desktop at work runs 24/7 no sleep, I'm sure a laptop would run just as fine if not for some potential heat issues

Fwiw, os x runs maintenance scripts daily, weekly, and monthly. You don't have to restart the machine to "clear RAM" nor should you rarely ever need to reinstall the OS for a clean slate like a lot of Windows folks do

If you want to run the os x maintenance scripts manually, open the terminal and type "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly"

Edited by jayrock

• 7 months later...

if you only care about gigawhatevers per dollar then sure, but might as well get a desktop at that point

if you care about portability, noise, heat, battery life, ie the things laptops are for, theyre kinda by far the worst for any of those things

2010 macbook air is still running fine for me, but will probably get whatever looks the most appealing in the next set of apple laptop releases.

Edited by ProfMonnitoff