Yamane Jeans

jubei

this this only pair I have seen online, and they dont seem cheap. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kobori/10000364/

whow, that's very odd.

those are the exact jeans i own which i was referring to above at the top of the page.

Okay. So I needed to procrastinate -- I finally got around to translating some more pages from Lightning Denim Style Book 2.

I must preface this by noting that the original writer loosely wrote "made in China" when the Yamane Jeans are made, more specifically, in Hong Kong. The following exerpt also deals more with the stereotype of jeans made in China, rather than discussing the specifics of the products. I'll try to get to the product descriptions in the near future, but it's a bit too much for me right now.

The original writer is correct. The jeans are made in China rather than Hong Kong. The sewing factory pictured in Lightning magazine is in China. (I wonder why they chose to print a photo with a guy riding a bike loaded full of toilet rolls?) And the denim, except when specificied otherwise, is also Chinese.

Yamane's operation is run from Hong Kong, but the jeans are made in China.

Thanks for the translation

The original writer is correct. The jeans are made in China rather than Hong Kong. The sewing factory pictured in Lightning magazine is in China. (I wonder why they chose to print a photo with a guy riding a bike loaded full of toilet rolls?) And the denim, except when specificied otherwise, is also Chinese.

Yamane's operation is run from Hong Kong, but the jeans are made in China.

Thanks for the translation

Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I was confused because Yamane Jeans patches said, "Lan Kwai Fong, Central Hong Kong" but their tags said, "Made in China." And also the store they featured later in the book was also in Hong Kong. Thought maybe it was because Hong Kong is now part of China.

(Perhaps there's a subtle connection between the toilet papers and the guy showing off his ass on the top left.)

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to add that the quality and workmanship from China can be very very high and many their textile industry is fast catching up due to investment and know how from foreign companies.

Many Japanese labels manfacture in China and demand the highest standards so "Made in China" is as good as.

• 3 months later...

This post poses some interesting denim dilemmas.

Would you prefer Chinese selvage denim produced on shuttle looms, or Japanese regular denim produced on projectile looms?

I think that because Japan has become synonymous with selvage that it has also become synonymous with quality, but it turns out the actual selvage production in Japan is very limited. I wonder if China is producing more selvage these days.

Bought a pair during my last trip to HK. Compared the Japanese made ones and the Chinese made in the shop. Texture and construction, Japan. The Chinese's workmanship is a bit of a let down, but it's not that bad. For the price, the denim is better than a lot of other labels on the market now. Plus, you can choose your own back pocket designs and colours (cost a some extra $). Not to everyone's tastes but it's fun and interesting. :)

Overall, I think it's very worth it.

if anyone's taking a holiday to bangkok, you can get these at not-too-expensive prices there--there's a store which carries a pretty wide range of evisu and yamane, i think because they are personal friends of yamane.

just saying...because quite a few members have dropped by bangkok in the past.

Ok so I think I have heard just about enough of all your secret denim encounters with this elusive brand without having anyone show any pics!!! Show me some pics!!! I am curious enough I want to see some of these guys. :D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Would you prefer Chinese selvage denim produced on shuttle looms, or Japanese regular denim produced on projectile looms?

I think that because Japan has become synonymous with selvage that it has also become synonymous with quality, but it turns out the actual selvage production in Japan is very limited. I wonder if China is producing more selvage these days.

i think thankfully the market hasn't (yet) become saturated with chinese selvedge or simply high quality denim goods, that that choice hasn't become readily available. although i think i would prefer chinese selvedge, only if i knew more about their mills and had seen for myself the quality of their products.

• 1 month later...

i was wondering about the yamane line what are these like, slub factor and what not. i am pretty close to getting a new pair and i am considering getting either some duckdiggers or some basic yamanes http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kobori/10001143/

if someone could give me some insight i would really appreciate it as i have never seen yamanes in real life but i have handled duckdiggers before.

you were one of the people i was hoping would respond, cause i know that you, hap, and kiya own a pair. could you please post your pic of them again, ill try to avoid any creepy comments :). expect a pm soon.

• 2 weeks later...

this article is actually kinda interesting, its google translated but you can get the jist of it.

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=zh%7Cen&u=http://www5.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php%3Ftid%3D2535696&prev=/language_tools

edit

i just noticed when you click on it it doesnt translate so do it yourself, http://www5.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=2535696

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

• 4 weeks later...

Unless there is some other reason for choosing one nation over another other than quality (ie. economic, import taxes, quota, marketing etc), then I think the pick would be the best quality or value for money, regardless of it's origins or being woven on a shuttle loom or not.

China is indeed weaving a lot of selvedge denim. There's at least one Chinese mill that has the capacity to produce 1 million yards a month.

Unfortunately, not all Chinese selvedge is good. Some is terrible. But, as Yamane is proving, there is some very good denim being made too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I am breaking in some yamane evisu lot 0013 that i bought in december in Tokyo from the Evisu Golf Store..

http://flickr.com/photos/gamachan/3087483670/in/set-72157610746795291/

The pockets all have inner liners, the hardware is good, the buttons have details, all rivets have writing on them, triple stitched, very nice.

But they are still very new.

Is anyone currently breaking in a pair of Yamachan jeans? In particular the 1930 evisu japan model??

• 2 years later...