your perfect sandwich

Vampyrvargfesten

top sandwiches you've ever eaten?

your favorite sandwich to make at home?

best sandwich in a city?

-best sandwich ever used to be in Pacific Palisades at Mort's Deli; the juicy pastrami was stacked bigger than my head, the bread was house-made... it's a pitty the place closed down a few years ago since Mort moved from L.A.

then I used to go to a torta stand when I lived in Tijuana, made by some 80 year old master named Chuy-- carnitas, pierna, chorizo, etc. maybe it was the dirt on his fingers, but something in those sandwiches were magic.

finally, in Puerto Penasco (rocky point), Sonora, Mexico, there used to be a cuban restaurant hidden in the maze of dirt roads (hence why it closed down), and they made the BEST ropa vieja in the world; I got ballsy and asked them to make a jibalito (a puerto rican dish where instead of bread, they mash and fry plantains into patty-buns)-- they obliged, and, dulce bebe de dios, that saucy bastard was on par with Mort's pastrami (though they're different kinds of amazing, imo).

-my favorite sandwich TO MAKE is a french baguette, pesto spread, mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes, capicola, prosciutto

get that shit from trader joes.

-if you're ever in Chicago, the beef at Al's is delicious; The Bourgeois Pig has a sandwich called The Sun Also Rises (yes, after Hemingway), which is a minimalist masterpiece; Cemitas Puebla is incredible. Yo, if anyone has some suggestions in Chicago, feel free to suggest-- I've only been here for a year.

u dudes ever had a legit cemitas with that herbal leaf thing in it? it makes a pretty big difference. that and the cheese. they must pasturize cheese different or something cuz the cheese is a million times better on el otra lado. even if u get mexican cheese stateside, its never the same.

and dude that mentioned banh mi my tho. thats my joint! definitely the best on valley. bread is usually pretty good. the secret is the peanuts!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

top sandwiches you've ever eaten?

your favorite sandwich to make at home?

best sandwich in a city?

for me, the perfect sandwich is from roma deli in pasadena

this is a classic example of simplicity- the perfect italian sandwich in my opinion...

just meat (salami, coppa, mortadella), cheese (provolone), and really good olive oil.

made by this old italian guy, and only he is allowed to make them.

Yo so I had this in the morning on my drive back to SF and I have to say it was quite good. The sandwich was dry as hell but the saltiness/oiliness of the meats and the olive oil really curbed it from being too dry. I can't say it was the best ever, but the meats on it were fantastic. Also, the old man wasn't making them today, he was just sitting in a chair surveying customers as they came and left. Would probably buy again though, very unique but simple. Good recc!

Edited by Fycus

Yo so I had this in the morning on my drive back to SF and I have to say it was quite good. The sandwich was dry as hell but the saltiness/oiliness of the meats and the olive oil really curbed it from being too dry. I can't say it was the best ever, but the meats on it were fantastic. Also, the old man wasn't making them today, he was just sitting in a chair surveying customers as they came and left. Would probably buy again though, very unique but simple. Good recc!

i'm glad you enjoyed...  

bummer that you didn't get the old man treatment though.  

i usually pair the sandwich with the sweet peppers they have at the sandwich station (i think they are peppadews?)

1bhbE7P.jpg

in my opinion, the sweet pepper juice pairs very nicely

i've ordered a variation of this sandwich at different sandwich shops... but none seem to come close.

here are some of my pics:

the roma deli one.  still in my eyes, simplicity at its finest.  i think the olive oil at roma brings out some secret magic flavor.  

VkQdwNf.jpg?1

i ordered a similar sandwich at mario's deli in glendale, where they make 'em double-decker style.  it was alright, but the proportions and overall flavor didn't translate completely.  

NE5Bv8c.jpg?1

this one is from a cafe in beverly hills called ferrarini.  they have really good olive oil that they sell in their shop, as well as a very tasty "cream of balsamic".  wish they served this on a roll, but oh well.

4KxLFUC.jpg?1

and, as a bonus...

here's a godmother sandwich (with peppers) from the ever-popular bay cities.  it's a fully-loaded italian sandwich... very classic and tasty, but obviously in a totally different way (compared to the roma one). 

s2ro1Z0.jpg?1

• 2 months later...

There was this amazing local place that closed down recently that made the best sandwiches I've ever had. My regular sandwich there was:

-Whole grain bread

-2x slices Muenster cheese

-Bacon

-Jalapeno

-Garlic-herb spread

and toasted on a panini press

So simple, but the best sandwich I've ever had. I miss that place so much.