Outlier

ordo

Just received some Slim Dungarees I bought off eBay in indigo, 32 and I've decided they're not quite for me (bit slim) - anyone want them before I send the back eBay's way? Condition 9/10 (no wear or fraying), £90 shipped worldwide, will make sure import duties are avoided if you're overseas.

Drop me a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Got thick thighs and it bums me out that Outlier will not be continuing the larger sizes. Anyone got a pair of 60/30 loosies in blue, waist 32 they'd be willing to get rid of? Got one pair of the dust olive and love'em... but wouldn't mind another. Also lookin for size 32 keirin dungarees.

Long shot but; anyone want to swap a pair of Climbers (29" / Charcoal) for 30" Climbers (Any colour bar Deep Indigo) 

Took a gamble but unfortunately are a little bit tight - want them to be perfect as I will wear them constantly.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it the general consensus to size up on the new way shorts? I've got larger/more muscular thighs.

Also, this is probably a stupid question but what underwear does everyone wear with their outlier stuff.  I was thinking of getting some icebreaker briefs and trying out the airism briefs as well. 

I went TTS on the New Ways and they may have shrunk a hair on first wash, but they certainly aren't too small. I have pretty big legs as well and although they fit slimmer, they aren't too tight. They definitely look more fitted than the three ways, so if you want the look of the three ways, then yeah, maybe size up.

I mostly wear ExOfficio these days. I used to swear by Icebreaker and Smartwool, but I just wasn't impressed by the durability when they're $40+ a pair. I can get 3 ExOfficios for about the same price when they go on sale on Amazon.

I'm feeling a little bit like Outlier's offerings are losing my interest. I still love my climbers and, in fact, just went on a weekend trip with two pair of them. However, I can't shake the feeling that when I go on their website I would have to force myself to buy something because it's a well-made, basic product rather than something that would pull me to their website.

Is this just Outlier's niche and I am outgrowing them, and do other people want to see more experimental (which, of course, probably means less profitable) offerings from them?

I went TTS on the New Ways and they may have shrunk a hair on first wash, but they certainly aren't too small. I have pretty big legs as well and although they fit slimmer, they aren't too tight. They definitely look more fitted than the three ways, so if you want the look of the three ways, then yeah, maybe size up.

I mostly wear ExOfficio these days. I used to swear by Icebreaker and Smartwool, but I just wasn't impressed by the durability when they're $40+ a pair. I can get 3 ExOfficios for about the same price when they go on sale on Amazon.

just ordered some new ways despite hearing quite a few negative reviews so its nice to see you enjoy yours. i feel like most of them were just bitching about the leg opening however. dont have mine yet but I can't imagine the flair is THAT bad. I mean I wouldnt want jorts anyways if you actually plan on doing shit in em.

waist shrinkage might be a concern for me though as I did not take this into account when sizing.

as far as outlier being more experimental I would like to see that but I think their style is definitely experimental in technology rather than design. the shank jacket was something pretty new I guess but definitely the same basic design (classic denim jacket). I think they are trying to be more experimental but I don't think it will ever be acronym style stuff or anything even close for that matter. they even limit the amount items shown on the page even if they aren't sold out. I can't see their minimalist style ever getting wild in design. I mean if they are too minimalist to provide chest measurements because it would clutter the page why would they design something more intricate!

it would be cool though for sure. someone could ask on their reddit forum to get some personal answers 

Edited by Ecotrons

On the futureworks they state that it may shrink half a size but they don't do it on the new ways. It's the same fabric so it should also shrink, right? 

Anyway, I got a pair of futureworks yesterday, I washed them and put them in the drier before hemming and didn't notice any shrinkage. As stated on the info they fit small in the waist, the 32 is the same size as dungarees 31 or new ways 31.

The new ways feel tighter than the dungarees but almost the same as the 3-way-shorts, I would size up if the dungarees or other outlier pants are a bit tight.

RE Outlier getting more experimental: The more experimental and more taped seamed stuff you get into, the more expensive they're going to be and I don't think Outlier's facilities are really set up for working with those materials/full production style, if that makes sense.

Outlier has had their niche as the "You can ride your bike wearing these clothes and look like a normal office-wear ready person" vs. hyper-tech stuff that dominated cycling wear before they came around. It's kind of funny how it's swung around and all the companies are doing bike to work stuff, but now we want more tech stuff.

Is it the general consensus to size up on the new way shorts? I've got larger/more muscular thighs.

Also, this is probably a stupid question but what underwear does everyone wear with their outlier stuff.  I was thinking of getting some icebreaker briefs and trying out the airism briefs as well. 

Check out Adidas Climalite underwear. 

Comparable to the Exofficio joints...and half the price

• 2 weeks later...

Not getting the lasting appeal from the New Ways I got with the Three Ways. I really liked the New Ways at first, but I've already got a good bit of pilling in the seat and thighs after just a few months (my almost two year old Three Ways still look brand new by comparison). F. Cloth also wrinkles fairly easily as well as being a lint / pet hair magnet. 

I also wish they had a bit more colour to them, I've got the olive and the purple and they're both kind of washed out in terms of colour, and something with a little less of a dark feel to it would be pretty great.

• 2 weeks later...

I e-mailed outlier and they aren't re-stocking the new ways.  Been stalking bet and eBay for a pair of 3 ways or new ways in my size for a while with no luck.  Any other places I should look?

Also, are the swrve shorts probably the best alternative?

• 2 weeks later...

What's the current sizing consensus on the slim dungarees? Up/down/tts?

I actually sized down on a second pair because my TTS didn't hug my waist. both fit fine but I prefer it to gently hug my waist than sag a bit. 

Edited by Ecotrons