Outlier

ordo

Damn, I never got the email for the hoodies... Thanks for the heads up. Vented double hoodie ordered! :)

EDIT: and it looks like I got the last large  :ph34r:

Edited by jbob24

I need to get my new 60/30s hemmed and I want to put them through a laundry cycle first to get any shrinkage out of the way. I'll wash warm and would typically air dry flat, but what's the deal with machine drying to restore water repellancy? Should that be done on low/no heat?

It needs heat to reactivate. I usually give my Nanosphere stuff about 10 minutes in low or medium heat and pull them out and let them air dry the rest of the way. It seems to do the trick.

Cheers for that.

Wanted to provide some numbers on shrinkage for the 60/30 chino. As mentioned above I put them through a wash (warm), and then I dried them on medium heat for about 10 minutes after which time I pulled them out and let them air dry. Before/after shrinkage was:

waist (half): 1.5 cm

thigh (half): 0.5 cm

inseam: 1.0 cm

Obviously there's a bit of a margin for error but I'm pleased. By the numbers the waist seems to have shrunk a decent amount but fit seems to be the same, possibly due to the stretch in the waistband. I think it's fair to say to expect just a small bit of shrinkage, which is exactly what Outlier's CS told me when I asked.

I got my double vented hoodie today, it's a sick piece but a bit too small for me in the shoulders and sleeve.  I would've got an XL if it was an option. Should fit a slim large perfect or a medium if you're into baggy stuff.  I posted it in the urban techwear FS thread if anybody is interested before I send it back to Outlier in a week or so :)

I've been reading around about the different pants from Outliers, and I can't seem to find a definitive comparison between their different pants.  

Between the Climbers, Slim Dungarees and the 60/30 Chinos, can someone order them from slimiest to "baggiest"?  

According to their size guide (28), the Climbers seem to have the slimmest thigh, followed by the Slim Dungarees, then the 60/30 being the roomiest.  

The Climbers also seem to have the smallest leg opening, followed by the 60/30, with the Slim Dungarees having the largest leg opening of the three pants.

I just find it strange that the measurements aren't proportionate all the way through.  

I'm also a bit confused about the fabrics that are used.  What I'm getting from the website is this:  The Climbers are stretchy nylon pants.  Do they retain their original shape or do they get stretched out?  

The Slim Dungarees are jeans that have a slight stretch to them?  

The 60/30 are just slim stretchy chinos, but the baggiest of the three pants?  

Typically when I buy jeans I like them to be snug around my thighs, calves and I like a hard taper around my ankles.  If I don't have to point my feet to get my heel though the leg opening, then usually I consider the leg opening too loose.  I also like the pants to be sight around my hips.

I only own one pair of "stretchy" pants, but they're cheap ones from Urban Planet.  I also don't own any chinos because whenever I try on a pair, they're way to baggy for my liking, but I would love to own a pair that actually fit me.  I'm 5'10" and 132 pounds.  Which pants do you think will fit me the best?

Edited by I'm A Business Man

climbers > dungarees > chinos, I think is correct. I have a lot of pants by them but not the 60/30 chinos.  All of them retain shape, schoeller fabrics aren't just normal nylon, 

Climbers are the most comfortable of the pack, sized properly they are skinny.  The dungarees are stretchy slim jeans but much nicer than denim (the gusset and fabric in general).

You'd probably like the climbers or dungarees, go for the dungarees first as they are more versatile and you won't be disapointed. At 5'10" and 132lbs you are quite thin, I'm the same height but 30lbs heavier and wear a 31 in all of them.

Yesterday I managed to take pictures again of my whole wardrobe, this time with a nicer camera. I'm preparing the second version of the "casual techwear wardrobe" page. My outlier pants in a pile:

fec183Dl.jpg

Thanks!  That's very helpful.  The only reason I wanted to buy a pair of the 60/30 chinos was because they come in that incredibly cool "copper" colour.007-OUTLIER-6030Chinos-Cool.jpg

Can anyone explain what they mean when they say that their jet dried 60/30 fabric fades?  I really hope that start making climbers in this colour.

Thanks!  That's very helpful.  The only reason I wanted to buy a pair of the 60/30 chinos was because they come in that incredibly cool "copper" colour.007-OUTLIER-6030Chinos-Cool.jpg

Can anyone explain what they mean when they say that their jet dried 60/30 fabric fades?  I really hope that start making climbers in this colour.

I think the jet dried thing was just the lighter color blazer they did with FSC. They only made 25 total between all sizes and both colors, so probably not something you'll run into often. I ended up getting one of the midnight navy versions, but it seems like pretty standard 60/30 cloth.

• 2 weeks later...

opinions on the fit on these slim dungs?

MuRolts.jpg

8GaoApf.jpg?1?5420

i'm 5'10", 155lbs and got a size 31. fwiw i bought a pair early last year in size 29 - they fit like leggings on me now after i gained weight.

the waist is pretty loose on this, but i kinda like the slouchy fit. thoughts?

Although a stretch fabric, schoeller fabric is fairly easy to sew, especially with some tension adjustments and using paper as a stabilizer. I would think because it is a heavier weight than say spandex, which probably requires a serger. I assume most tailors would have a serger anyways, though. I made shorts on a home machine out of some OGs I burned on a campfire.

I believe Outlier sells them extra long under the presumption that you tailor them to your inseam.

Got my dungarees (black, sz 31, regular length) and figured i’d share some impressions.

On sizing: I usually wear a 30 but based on the outlier measurements chart, i got a 31, as their measurements for the top opening on a size 30 were significantly smaller than any of my other pants. However, the 31 is actually pretty much a 31 and a little too roomy on me. Not so much bigger that it warrants a return, but roomy enough to require a belt. So in short: stick to your regular size and don’t obsess over their measurements.

Inseam is 32.5 – sometimes this is more than enough for me (in case of a true 32 inseam) and sometimes this falls awkwardly short (some brands seem to think that a 32 inseam means the actual inseam is something like 30). The dungarees are a true 32.5 inseam and provide sufficient lenght for my 6’ frame.

As far as fit goes, they’re quite conservative, slim and straight with very little taper below the knee and a, to my taste, cavernous leg opening of over 7â€. I am probably going to get the hem taken in for a more streamlined and modern fit. For those who pore over the fit pics on the outlier site: these are either a different model with a significantly smaller leg opening, or just pinned to hell and back.

A lot of people have said the dungarees don’t stretch and are more restrictive than the climbers. I find that the dungarees have ample stretch, entirely unrestricted movement and basically wear like technical climbing pants. When bending a knee, the hem doesn’t rise an inch.  Absolutely perfect for bike riding and if you’re so inclined they’d make great hiking/general outdoors pants. The fabric itself has a very adequate DWR out of the box and is suprisingly lightweight. After outlier calling it “workcloth†and advertising these as a denim alternative, i expected something with a much beefier hand. However, the fabric’s light weight is comfortable and probably works very well in warmer temperatures.

Speaking of denim alternatives, the dungarees won’t fool anyone. They look nothing like jeans due to the hand and texture of the fabric, so if you’re looking to retire your APC’s or Acnes, look elsewhere. At conversation distance, the fabric actually kind of resembles a quality wool due to it’s soft hand and subtle sheen. Up close the open-ish weave has me worried about snags and pilling a little.

Construction is fine. You’re not getting arc’terxesquely tight stitching or anything, but it’s not sloppy and critical points seem stitched down quite well.

I’ll reserve my final judgment for after a couple of weeks of use in different weather conditions, but so far my feelings are that these are some cool pants, but probably not $200 cool.

Fit pic:

15057450841_b427e3a3d9.jpg

Edited by Inkinsurgent

Not really. I'm from spain and exchange stuff all the time.  You pay maybe 18-20 euros to ship the pants to NY, they ship the new size back for free, and the package is marked as a return/exchange with value to declare 0 (cause you already paid). 

Seize the chance and buy something else, tell them to hold the order cause you have a return on the way and they will ship both orders together with free shipping. You get cheaper shipping on your next order (20 euros instead of $42) and the proper size of pants.

Since you now your size (30) and like leaner pants, get a pair of climbers.

Edited by deadsunrise

I agree with deadsunrise. The fit I thought I was going to get with Slim Dungarees I ended up getting with the Climbers. Both pairs are less slim than you'd think. I have an older pair of Keirin Cuts in 33 that seem slimmer and have more taper than a pair of Slim Dungarees in 34 from last year. I never considered the Climbers for a long time because I thought I'd end up looking like I was wearing tights, but they really aren't that bad. 

Edited by brooks_

one thing to note about dungarees is that the fabric doesn't have a lot of structure.  It is a lot flimsier than denim so your folds and creases won't be as crisp.

Also, they don't pill but do pick up a lot of scuffs.  Just scratching your thigh can leave some light marks that are easily rubbed out.