Outlier

ordo

Anyone here recently ordered to the UK? Did you get done for duties and taxes? - looking to guage how much 'extra' some Keirin cuts are going to set me back. Alternatively, anyone have any they want to sell in a 32 waist?

I've got a size 33 keirin blacks from chari&co if you're interested. haven't been worn, just stuck in closet too busy to move.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rarely happens, but Outlier is clearing out some stuff that isn't selling too well.

https://twitter.com/Outlier (click through the links)

I think the 60/30s are selling pretty well haha. Some interesting reasons are given for why the items are being discontinued/cleared out.

I wanted to like the Cali cotton shirt (and I'm still tempted to buy it at that price) but my body is too used to merino now :P

Edit: when did the 4x4 scarves sell out? Did anyone grab those and have a black to spare for a reasonable (or unreasonable) fee?

Edited by SuE

Can't believe I missed the sale yesterday!

What exactly went on sale? I checked their twitter and it looks like they deleted it

here:

p.s. too bad they delete the tweets. iirc the reasons for the clearout given were:

Blazed dress pivot — deadstock

60/30 Chino — new batch coming soon

Supermarine Shell — didn't sell as well as hoped because wasn't explained/marketed well

Three Way Trunks — never sold well (although a fave of the Outlier writer)

Cali Pivot Shirt — was made because fabric and process was from the NY garment district but in retrospect should have stuck with 'Outlier' tech fabrics

Ultralight Blazer — out of season?

Ultralight shorts — sold alright but not a blockbuster, out of season?

Edited by SuE

Duuude. Just got my 60/30 loosies. Having never worn the regular 60/30s and the keirins, workwears, and nycos being my usual go to choices, these loosies are fucking awesome! Perfect fit. Fabric looks great. What a steal for $98. Sell me all your 35's.

Only regret is just getting the navy ones. Would buy every color if I had the chance again.

• 2 weeks later...

http://shop.outlier.cc/retail/ultramerinosuede/?utm_source=Outlier+Tailored+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=f29e0e383a-Ultramerinosuede1_13_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_72ea599fc4-f29e0e383a-390392497

Ultramerinosuede.

The shorts look like the best of the lot, although the price is steep.

Edited by brooks_

I'm a 29" waist now and I would definitely advise buying true to size. I can fit into mine but I just ends up being uncomfortable if I wear them all day, especially if I have to tuck a shirt in. That said, they are my favorite pants I own, narrowly beating out the climbers. I highly recommend a pair if you are interested, but do buy true to size.

^ go try them on?

I sized down 1.5-2 on my slim dungarees and they fit snug and comfy

(true waist ~31, usually wear 32's, took 30 in SD)

I'm a 29" in 511 Commuters, which is a tiny bit loose. They're local but online, so unfortunately the likelyhood of me trying them on is pretty low.ø

I'm a 29" waist now and I would definitely advise buying true to size. I can fit into mine but I just ends up being uncomfortable if I wear them all day, especially if I have to tuck a shirt in. That said, they are my favorite pants I own, narrowly beating out the climbers. I highly recommend a pair if you are interested, but do buy true to size.

Damn, that'll put a damper on things. I'm not jumping to spend 200 on a pair of pants without trying them on, for the price I'd have tried it out if I thought it would work but I don't want to be trying to resell them if they don't fit.

Definitely could have been clearer in my post. I am a size 29 waist and I currently own/wear the 28" slim dungarees in black. For me, a size down feels too tight and I'd prefer to wear true to size.

As far as purchasing from Outlier goes, they've made a conscious choice to be an online retailer and they are much more reasonable with returns than many other companies. They have a 45 day return policy (just click on info on the top right of their website to see for yourself) and I've returned items before without issue. Being someone who is just getting started on a company/higher end clothing I definitely understand the hesitation to spend a chunk of cash on a pair of pants you've never handled before, but the Outlier dungaree fabric is something that gets a lot of positive reviews from members of the board from what I have seen.

I pay a pile on import tax into Canada though and return shipping is a pain. I think if they're true to size then 28" is simply going to be too slim for me. Ah well, I may end up moving to Hawaii soon and if that happens I'll just buy shorts from Outlier en masse before I go.

My immediate problem with the cuff is that it's just shock cord, nothing more. Which means, at least in my experience, zero abrasion resistance and tons of fuzzing and fraying. Why it's made to be exposed like that on a high contact area is beyond me.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Dumb question for sure, but how does that cuff work?

Not a dumb question at all. If any SuFu member buys one (or is in NY for the Open Studio), please post an explanation and review

How does Outlier measure their pants? BIG-style?

Outlier FAQ: I don't understand the waist sizing and technical waistband, can you explain it?

The most important thing to know about our pants sizing is that you probably should buy the size you normally buy. If you usually buy size 30 pants, you probably are a size 30 in our sizing.

If you want a more detailed explanation here it is: You might notice that the waist band actually measures 2 inches more than the named size. This is an industry standard, most pants sold as size 30 waist actually have a waistband that measures 32" and sometimes it'll even measure as much as 34". There are a few reasons for this. For one, no one actually wears pants at their actual waist anymore, so if you measure 30" at your real waist you will likely measure around 32" where you wear your pants. It's also a vanity thing, as men in the US got bigger clothes started getting bigger, mediums are bigger than they used to be and so are size 30s. We tried fighting it for a second but it was too confusing, so we rolled with the standard, but we also felt the need to be honest on our sizing, so there it is above.

I'm a 29" in 511 Commuters, which is a tiny bit loose. They're local but online, so unfortunately the likelyhood of me trying them on is pretty low.ø

Ask the seller to post measurements with pictures and compare those with the measurements of your 511s.