Outlier

ordo

These bedfords might be a bit overrated in terms of actual waterproofability because if the sole is just the same as any other vans shoe, water's just going to leak through the bottom after the shoe's been worn and the glue comes loose.  Tbh I've never really had trouble with the uppers of my shoes getting wet.  It's always been the sole that's been the problem.

I had a bit of a surprising/frustrating Outlier experience a little while ago. I've been hesitant about posting about it because I feel genuinely supportive of Outlier and don't want to talk shit, but decided that ultimately transparency trumps all.

I'd had a pair of the oldschool Workwear pants for a couple years which had stretched out (and I think I'd shrunk a bit), so when the email came out that they'd be raising prices, I decided it was time for a re-up. Being - as we all are - neurotic about sizing, I ordered two sizes of 60/30s and two sizes of New OGs, figuring I'd keep the pair that fit best.

I tried on all four when they arrived, and was leaning towards a pair of New OGs when I looked down while seated and discovered a half-dollar sized hole in the crotch seam. I'd done nothing more than stroll around my apartment so I was pretty surprised and disappointed. To make matters weirder, when I tried on one of the pair of 60/30s, I felt something prick my leg. Upon flipping the pants inside out after taking them off, I found a staple sewn into the outseam!

The person I corresponded with at Outlier was gracious enough to offer an 11% discount (I'm intrigued by why 11), but I haven't really been able to reconcile myself to purchasing again given what seem to me to be pretty glaring quality-control oversights.

These bedfords might be a bit overrated in terms of actual waterproofability because if the sole is just the same as any other vans shoe, water's just going to leak through the bottom after the shoe's been worn and the glue comes loose.  Tbh I've never really had trouble with the uppers of my shoes getting wet.  It's always been the sole that's been the problem.

i see what you mean; that default vans sole separation at the welt(???) is extremely water permeable. should have done something like a double stitch in ultramarine then seam taping on the inside of the shoe opposite the stitching just to be nitpicky about it haha

cool that vans would do that and i see the appeal but i'm not all that fond of the bedford as a silhouette.

should have been sk8 hi imho.

I got a pair. Will post reviews, it has rained like 80% of the summer so far, so shouldn't take too long to get an idea about them.

Anyone know what the return policy is on shoes for them? Same as pants or are these covered under the un-returnable experimental thing?

It's a standard online store shoe policy i.e. returnable if unworn (and still with tags, box etc). I don't see anything listed for the Bedfords but Outlier listed a 365 day return period for the Supermarines.

p.s. want to buy Outlier Climbers (Black, 29/30) if anyone has one to spare.

Ars Technica article - Women's riding pants.

Comment from BB.

lol.. $200.. even for women's designer pants thats a complete & utter joke.. seriously kids, if you're going to spend such a stupid amount of money on PANTS go get yourself some diesel's or something. 

just as a quick follow-up, i love the supermarine vans.  i got them to wear for actual bike riding, and they couldn't be better for it.  am psyched.  haven't worn them in downpour yet, so not sure how waterproof they will be (i am expecting much more resistant than proof) but they are perfect for when it's drizzly.  and they are pretty breathable so my feet don't get all sweaty.  

saw lots of people down on them, just wanted to share that i am loving them.

just as a quick follow-up, i love the supermarine vans.  i got them to wear for actual bike riding, and they couldn't be better for it.  am psyched.  haven't worn them in downpour yet, so not sure how waterproof they will be (i am expecting much more resistant than proof) but they are perfect for when it's drizzly.  and they are pretty breathable so my feet don't get all sweaty.  

saw lots of people down on them, just wanted to share that i am loving them.

Same here, I've had mine for about a week now, have worn them pretty much every day and loving them. Super comfy and look great on. Hopefully we'll see some more collabs like this from Outlier.

• 3 weeks later...

Well they did just completely redo the pivot shirts which are core items...

I'd also like to see a new pant design. The Acronym P13-CH/P13-E (riding pants) have those roomy thighs, with tapered legs, that we desire so much. The bar has been raised.

Did Outlier ever do the dungarees in blue? I want dungarees in a blue 'Jet Dyed Ombre' i.e. process they used for the metakhaki in the FSC Blazer and the cargo shorts...