Outlier

ordo

Got some new gear... Reviews:

Northeast pivot shirt:

The pivot sleeve design actually does allow for better range of movement, quite impressed with it. However, I went tts and found the shirt to be awkwardly cut -- a bit short on the sides for my taste and a bit wide overall i.e. the shirt is baggier than any of my other oxfords in the torso, but shorter.

three way shorts (not longs, not trunks)

Not used to wearing shorts this high on my legs. Def prefer the long version of these, which still hit right on/above the knee. I don't really understand how anyone can wear these without deliberately wearing a shorter fitting shirt, as my normal athletic fitting shirts hang over the pockets if I don't bunch it up. Since the shorts are so, well, short, and the shirt covers up about half the length of the short, it tends to look awkward. Same great quality though, so I might just keep them to swim/hike in

OG's (first gen)

Went TTS and was surprised at how slim they were. They fit fine in the waist and conform to my body due to the fabric, but they straight up look like yoga pants on me. Again, comfort and quality rule everything around me so ill prob keep them for exclusive use as activewear.

Side note: I have a pair of climbers on their way that I sized up one on, wondering if they're gonna be even tighter than these!

dae get outlier pants, went tts, and then get pants that are too baggy? I got a pair of sz 32 black slim dungs and that happened to me.

I actually just went back and ordered a size down on the Keirin Cuts I got in earlier this week. They did seem to stretch out just a tad after the first day or so and are borderline too loose now. I originally ordered a 34, which is the size I have my Three Ways in (oddly enough they seem like they are closer to needing a size up than down) but I have a pair of 33's on the way now. Gonna compare and send back whichever fits worst.

Edited by brooks_

i like the look of the 60/30 more. it's probably not as water resistant as the og's, but they look like regular pants with a ton of stretch. there shouldn't be a problem with tailoring. ask your tailor. I have had them taken in before with no troubles.

^the OG pant should get restocked soon, has been out of stock for a bit. think I saw them mention on twitter as well, but don't think they gave a date for restock.

I think I saw the same mention, small reup soon, full reup in 8 weeks (end of March/April)

three way shorts (not longs, not trunks)

Not used to wearing shorts this high on my legs. Def prefer the long version of these, which still hit right on/above the knee. I don't really understand how anyone can wear these without deliberately wearing a shorter fitting shirt, as my normal athletic fitting shirts hang over the pockets if I don't bunch it up. Since the shorts are so, well, short, and the shirt covers up about half the length of the short, it tends to look awkward. Same great quality though, so I might just keep them to swim/hike in

Glad to see more reviews. I sleep and swim in the three way shorts but also can't imagine wearing them out.

Update:

Climbers in 35 fit just about the same as OG's in 34 (other than the waist, obv). Something worth noting, the climbers feel a little thicker than the OG's and definitely have better ROM. I prefer the climbers over the OG's for sure.

Also, I have a theory regarding the as is sale. Thinking perhaps that the first day was first quality, second day was a little lesser, etc. The reason for this theory being that my first day climbers are in great condition and my third day OG's had a button missing, several holes, etc. Could be wrong though as my other third day items were all virtually fine other than some loose threads here and there. Either way--totally worth it as the repairs were not difficult to complete and thus the value was definitely there

Thanks again Stacks, truly appreciate it!

Edited by crucialkc

just got my stuff from the as is sale, thanks again to Stacks! I got all of this stuff for riding/commuting/bikecamping in VT, couldn't be happier.

60/30 chinos - these have a small hole and some staining on them, may turn them into shorts. i think that the chinos are probably my favorite pant from outlier, as they look the most 'normal' non-tech, but still do the job.

ultralight pants - first impression on these is "wow, these are superlight and stretchy". these will probably get a ton of use during summertime. my pair is a super light blue/grey, not sure the name, but would prob opt for a darker color in these as the lightness of the color shows the lightness of the fabric pretty clearly. like wearing super light/thin sweatpants.

new works - i much prefer the old workwear pants, as they had the supersoft brushed inside lining. didn't realize they did away with that in the new works, as the old workwear pants are probably my favorite pants on earth. was planning to swap these out for the old workwears which i have had for the past 3 years and are starting to need repairs, but i am definitely just going to get the old workwears repaired, they are much nicer.

OG pants - these are sweet, love the stretch. they look a little techy, moreso than the chinos, but not too bad. i can see wearing these all the time. my pair has a little snag in the fabric. nothing to worry about, but noticeable.

ultralight shorts - nice addition to my shorts, i have the workwears and the three ways already. not a huge fan of the pleats, but feel like they look different enough to wear instead of my other shorts.

Also a note about the three way shorts - i am not sure what the big deal is about the inseam, i don't think it's ludicrously short or anything. They aren't magnum PI shorts. They are perfect for being on the bike, and i like that they are a tiny bit shorter than most other shorts, looks much better. Shorts are too long these days. They are much longer than the patagonia standup shorts which used to be my go-to summer shorts. Anywho, i have a pair and love them. There is no better pair of shorts to wear on the bike for a ride to a swimming hole, then return to town for a lunch. Just total perfection.

Damn not sure if I am a 31 or 32, can someone post some measurements? I am worried about the seat area (thigh, waist, ass, rise). I tuck in shirt so I am thinking a 32 will give in some extra room.

Goal is to pickup a pair of OG and Chino for the office and rotate them. Should hold up well seeing how my current rotations of Uniqlo wool trousers are doing fine.

Appreciate the sizing advice!

edit 1:

FWIW the OG's look very similar to the Chino in the action and stock photos. I sort of like the OG look more since it looks smoother comparable to wool trousers. The Chino seem to wrinkle a lot. The 3 colors of the OG's also don't seem like a bad idea covering the gray and navy color spectrum.

edit2:

just read Hang the DJ post...going to wait for the size 32's to pop up. Noticed the navy is not stocked...just for now or has that been like this a while now?

Edited by gettoasty

My only beef with Outlier stuff is that the fabric is super thin. Had a pair of Keirin Cuts and OGs, and they're both definitely thinner than any non-tech fabric stuff (jawnz, UVCs) I live in. Aside from that gusseted crotch, darted knees etc are definitely amazing.

^try the Nyco Slims

Thick fabric, seems really sturdy. Went TTS (34) and they're pretty tight, more restricting than UVC's. Gonna keep em around to see if they fit better after I cut down a little bit.

Also grabbed a pair of 36's and they're rad. Wish I didn't have to wear em with a belt because they fit nice and roomy, yet still fitted. Quite comfortable and they're definitely superior to UVC's. I bet 35's would fit perfect.

It seems like most outlier gear in my size is good in the waist and tight/slim everywhere else. If I size up I end up really liking the fit, but the waist is huge. Anyone ever get just the waist taken in?

I'd been casually in the softshell market for a while waiting for a cheaper TNF or mainline Arc'teryx hooded jacket to pop up somewhere, but couldn't really find anything that wasn't bright orange in my size. Thankfully SuE hooked it up with a Freeshell (thanks man!) and I've had it on all week, and figured I'd share some thoughts on it, since I don't think anyone else has mentioned it in here yet.

FREESHELL

5'9", 130lbs

Size: XS

dzrwrsQ.jpg

Core 4Season fabric is as great as ever. Essentially no movement restriction, and while I haven't gone through any rain with it yet, I'm sure it will react just as well as my Climbers do.

This is the Slate Grey color, which like all grey/black Outlier fabrics, really seems like more of a navy.

Fit:

Pretty true to size, taking into account this is supposed to be an outer layer, so there's a little bit of space for a thinner fleece layer and base layer. Even despite this, it still has a relatively trim fit overall, which makes it pretty dynamic and easy to wear with anything.

The hood is probably my favorite part. Covers my head as if it was tailored to my specifications all while not creating any blind spots to peripheral vision.

Cons:

The main thing that bothers me about this piece are the pockets. They're HUGE, which is ok, but for whatever reason, Outlier decided not to give them zip closures. Combine super stretchy fabric with lots of space, and anything you put in the pockets with any weight to them bounce around like they're on a trampoline. So far, only one close encounter with losing my iPod, but honestly, this seems like a major/silly oversight for something you're supposed to be active and moving around in.

Other Thoughts:

Super breathable? Yes

Absolutely zero wind resistance? Also yes. Of course, I didn't expect it to either so that's perfectly fine, just figured I'd mention.

The giant ass-pocket doesn't zip closed either. Not really sure what you'd put in it other than maybe a pair of fresh socks or something.

Cuffs don't have any kind of velcro closure, but the opening is a pretty good median size which works well for most situations.

Also, main zip isn't waterproof, but neither is the jacket so no quarrels here..

BDqhxpy.jpg

Aside from the pockets, I'm extremely pleased with this shell. Looks great, fits great, and performs well.

Think they'll make a windshell soon?

How do you guys find the overall construction of Outlier products, in terms of durability? I admired the brand for being decent quality at their previous price point, but since the hike, I'm not sure...

Now this is something worth discussing. I am a big proponent of having products made where you live, but the belt loops on my Outlier climbers are sub-par. As pants, they are outstanding, but having loose threads on what seems like every loop is disappointing.

Button on the slim dunagrees feels like it could have been made .5-1 cm shorter as it sticks out too much and ends up leaning to the side oddly.

However, my experience with their merino t-shirt and henley are made up of happiness. Only the pants have room for improvement in the quality control/design department.

On the flip side of that, I have worn my original works for about 3 years at least weekly if not more, and I just had the first issue with them, the stitching around the zipper started coming undone. easy enough fix.

I think that the price is worth it. I also ride all the time, so the little things that make their clothes super comfortable (like the stretch or the knees/crotch) make them just killer for riding.

Went hiking in my climbers the other day. They fared well in the snow and were great for climbing trees and boulders, but I came out of the wilderness with quite a few snags/loose threads. A bit disappointing to say the least. I wish outlier would come out with a more durable solution while maintaining the same level of functionality.

I took my OG pants out climbing and hiking around through brush and they're still in the same condition they were in before, just a bit dirtier and chalked up. I kinda wish for a pair of pants with slightly more padding on the knees but I love the mobility in the pants

Went hiking in my climbers the other day. They fared well in the snow and were great for climbing trees and boulders, but I came out of the wilderness with quite a few snags/loose threads. A bit disappointing to say the least. I wish outlier would come out with a more durable solution while maintaining the same level of functionality.

i wear my climbers only ever to work and i have a loose thread from a snag somewhere too. and the right inseam always curves outwards so the seam runs down the front of my right leg. a little weird but they'll still great.

Edited by lotek01

Now, to be fair, I am having a hard time thinking of a pair of tech-style pants that cost anywhere similar to Outlier that would be worth comparing. Outlier's pant cut is flattering for a lot of people, which is why their nyco slims have sold well and been a good entry level Outlier Pant. Despite not having their signature four way stretch, you see them pop up a ton with people being quite happy with them.

Outlier also has done a good job of making tech fabrics in office friendly cuts. The only way another person would know its not just another pair of slacks is if they saw the 4 way stretch in action, were observant enough to notice a different cut on the pants (applies to the climbers), of if they physically touch them.