Outlier

ordo

Outlier restocked New OGs, prices are going up in mid February to $240 (from $198) so if you want to get a pair, I would get cracking.

I picked up a slate gray pair

^ Ouch. I saw the email about the price hike, but was hoping for some details or breakdown on each item before it actually took effect. Climbers jumped from $188 to $225 :(.

Oh they've increased the price on some items already?! Not too bad; I was fearing a 50% price hike across the board. They're still selling the NYCOs at an entry level $98 so that's a plus.

Hmm... earlier this month Outlier tweeted a link to this WellSpent article: Why Clothes Cost What They Do. It's a bit hard to reconcile Abe's sentiments reported in that article with his hypothesis in this amazing talk he presented later in the year:

mTsJzgol.png

eK9UulQl.jpg

vqErFEpl.png

EIY8zL8l.png

Indeed I justified my leap from Everlane to Outlier with the assumption that they were doing the same thing except Outlier was just using more expensive fabrics. That said, the Outlier pants are still cheaper than some of their counterpants, like Rapha or Veilance. On the other hand, Veilance has stockists who reliably go on sale twice a year at 50% off (or more) so the items can be snagged at prices cheaper than Outlier's. In my particular case though, few stockists actually get any Veilance in my size so I'm stuck with the official website's prices. Oh well, I had my fill of Outlier last year and will be saving up for ACRMN next season — which has higher prices and yet is kept exempt from almost all sales that finding a 20% discount is a lucky day.

Edited by SuE

Outlier was the first company that I made the choice to save up and purchase a garment of theirs with my job, and each piece I have purchased from them has been easily incorporated into my wardrobe. Quickie reviews on items I own, by order of time purchased:

Outlier Climbers: Slim but not too slim cut, these pants are my favorites. If you are in between sizes, I would size down due to the 4 way stretch, but I like my pants to fit tight on my hips. Dry quickly, definitely water-resistant as advertised, and immensely comfortable.

Outlier Merino Socks: These were a somewhat informed impulse buy. I got three pairs so that they ended up $20.00 a piece, but these socks are a simple joy. Kept my feet warm, definitely resist odor, have stretch in the right places and never feel like they slip down, and Outlier's merino wool is the greatest material I have felt thus far in my life.

Outlier Merino Henley: Such a great layering piece. Mentioned somewhere in the tech thread but it fits quite slim. My small fits my torso and arms like a second skin. The merino is, again, so wonderful. Warm, odor resistant, and easily layered under a button up for colder days. Construction overall feels great, and the buttons show no sign of coming loose from the fabric at any time during its life unless I wanted them too.

Outlier Slim Dungarees: When they say slim, they aren't kidding. My pair fit tighter on me than the climbers (comparable to a levis 510 instead of a 511 if that helps). However, I have grown to love them none the less. The texture of the fabric used is so different from the climbers, but comes with the water resistance and quick drying nature of Outlier pants that people grow to love. While not offering the same range of movement, they are great casual pants that I find myself wearing more and more often.

Outlier Ultrafine Merino T-Shirt: Unf. When I get home from work I take off the tie, the button up, and put this on. Small fits me perfectly, the shirt is soft and warm, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has t-shirts in their rotation.

Tigerprawn -

So which would you recommend for those with big legs, the climbers (sized up) or the Keirin cut? Having a time deciding between the two.

Was leaning towards the climbers hoping that if I sized up it'd give me a fit similar to sized up samurai 710's but as I haven't seen/tried on either cut I'm unsure. Thanks!

I'll jump on the review train as well.

(For reference, I'm 5'9", 130lbs, everything is a size 28)

Climbers (black):

IMG_9722copy.jpg

These are my favorite of the 2 pants I own (slim dungarees). Just can't beat the 4-way stretch. I've used them to bike, hike, and climb and have felt little to no resistance from the fabric. Liquid repellancy is quite nice as well. Most water usually just rolls off, or falls off with a quick wipe. When they get dirty over time water begins to stick, but a wash and quick dry makes them feel new again. Wear these at least 3-4 times a week.

As far as cons, the pocket bag material has started to pill a bit. Also, since I have these rolled, the inner face fabric has started to wear and fall off. I really should just hem them, but have been too lazy. While these are black pants, they're not totally black. It doesn't actually bother me at all, but figured it's worth mentioning.

Fit:

Pretty true 28 waist, granted they stretch some. I'm a pretty skinny dude, so the cut works pretty well for me. The inseam is rather long on these, I have the hem rolled 3 times in the picture.

Slim Dungarees (indigo):

sbdrP.jpg

A more coarse feel than the climbers, and much less range of movement with only a slight 2-way stretch. Good repellancy and quick drying, though I would say the climbers repel moisture a bit better. I find these get dirty much easier as well. The pocket bag material in these is much more substantial and has a smooth hand that I don't foresee ever pilling. Wish they used it in the climbers.

Fit:

They should really call these Skinny Dungarees. Work well enough for biking, but not the best for other activities since they're so slim. These also fit smaller in the waist than my other Outlier pants. In hindsight, I probably would have gone up a size.

Three Way Shorts (slate grey):

1-24.jpg

Same fabric as the climbers, so pretty much everything I said above applies here. Pocket bag material is nice and smooth with mesh at the bottom to allow water to pass through. Went camping in Yosemite last Summer and didn't take them off the whole week. Climbed in them, slid down rocks, swam in the river, and they came out pretty much unscathed. A dip in the river and they were dry again in 10 minutes (can't say the same for my boxers...) I don't find the drawstring particularly useful and haven't bothered with it.

While these are "slate grey" they're really more of a dark dark navy, which goes for pretty much all of their pants using this material.

Fit:

As far as the waist goes, these fit the largest out of all of them. A good .5" bigger. They're quite short. Great for moving around and doing whatever you're doing, but I think another .5" - .75" would be nice. I feel like a Jcrew model walking around normally with them (lame fit pic doesn't help either...)

Three Way Longs

Fit: At 6', 205lbs, a pair of 34's hit right above my knee. The 4 way stretch fabric leaves little to no resistance in terms of movement and the shorts fit nice and close without being too tight (however, after a wash i did notice that they seemed to shrink a bit, esp around the waist).

Water Resistance: I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I was a bit let down with the touted water/grime resistance. Right out of the packaging I could put the shorts under a faucet and watch the water bead off. After just a couple of wears (not doing anything more extreme than just walking around out and about), the water resistance greatly decreased. The water lightly beads off in some areas and absorbs in others; the treatment doesn't seem nearly as strong as before. Also, at no point did my shorts repel dirt, it was always kind of a pain to get off and required more effort than just getting a wet cloth and wiping it off. Even after washing and drying the water/dirt resistance isn't all that great in my experience.

Disclaimer: my shorts have only been washed and dried twice and haven't been worn more than 10 times total

Also: Grey actually looks blueish, while black looks almost like a dark navy blue.

All in all I really do enjoy the shorts as they are very comfortable, but I feel like the price isn't justified (ESP the raised price) if the treatment doesn't even work well...although my experience could be a one off thing. Who knows.

Edited by crucialkc

I'll jump on the review train as well.

(For reference, I'm 5'9", 130lbs, everything is a size 28)

Climbers (black):

IMG_9722copy.jpg

i fucking love this fit, really makes me want to get some climbers. if they're not really black, what are they? dark grey?

i fucking love this fit, really makes me want to get some climbers. if they're not really black, what are they? dark grey?

They're black, but not like a black denim would be... Words escape me right now, but I'd say this picture is pretty accurate, especially comparing them against those black shoes.:

0040000011323.jpg

@Mixture

From memory, the measurements are pretty accurate but I can measure/report back later when I'm home. If they're the fit you're looking for, definitely hop on them.

Have black urban slims, favourite pair of pants. The fit, cut and tech aspect are all really great. Hiked in em, rode in em and just everyday pants. They aren't super breathable for warm days but that's not a big deal. Really wanted a grey pair but they aren't doing any more grey runs. i guess ill get climbers instead after all the positive reviews in here.

Really great brand.

chiming to show support! I'm a reallY skinny kid (5-7, 129.99999) and size s/w28 fit pretty ideally. I wear the slim dungarees pretty much 7 days straight every other week and they've been great in terms of fit/durability/easy to clean. the henley is cool, like hangthedj said a bit long but my monkey-ass arms are okay with that. lastly, the socks!! I love these babies, they make my feet feel great no matter what, even in nasty-ass beater kicks.

Got my Nyco Slims size 31 in the mail today. First off, I just wanted to mention that the measurements on their site isn't quite accurate the 31 waist is 32" instead of 33" also the inseam was 33" instead of 34" as listed.

For reference I'm 5'9 160lbs (what do you guys think of the fit?)

8449388726_12df42fc07_z.jpg

These pants are not flimsy and hold it's shape well like raw denim does. Tested the water resistant on these works great, water just beads right off. Wind resistant is cool but gets kinda toasty doe. Pants are comfy. Is restricting at times.

Fit:

Fit is fairly slim - not ball hugging tight. At first i felt that they were to slim for my taste as i began to break it in the fit kinda grew on me. These pants make my ass pop (no homo) the ladies will be miring for days to come (10). I can actually size up on these if i wanted too; might get another pair in a 32. Overall, satisfied with them can't beat the price tag.

edit: not sure if i want to pull the trigger on the climbers. i'm eyeing the slim dungarees doe

Edited by Mixture

Here are some very large fit pics of keirin cut dungarees size 30. I am around 155 5' 10".. They fit really nice, just a little snug around the waist and crotch. I think a full size up will be too large though. Second opinions are welcome...and yea, I probably didn't need to pull my shirt up that much..

keirincutfront.jpg

9324d410-f909-46e2-a1fd-07c9fdaf0514.jpg

Edited by Originatek

originatex your upper thighs are too skinny for keirin cuts. notice how the line of the pant sort of "juts out" in that area. i had the same problem, ended up returning.

funny, my comment was going to be to size up one. i doubt these are meant to be worn near the actual waist so the hip flare would look less awkward lower down.

full disclosure: i am not a size nazi in my personal wardrobe choices. horses for courses etc

Thanks for the responses. I emailed asking if returning is an option after wearing them for a day. I feel as though an entire 1" would be too much room in the waist. I think I may order a 30+31 in the reg. dungarees and see how they fit. Again, I appreciate your fit pics, Tiger. Could I ask you to do me a favor and give the bicep measurement on that shirt? I am also planning on ordering some of those striped ones they have, but sometimes have trouble wearing fitted shirts due to my relatively large arms..