Visvim F/W 2013

kiya

No, you can't "tackle" import duties in any way, neither when importing from Japan to US nor to Europe. In fact, in Europe youi have a Value Added Tax of 20-23% on top of custom fees and shipping fee (yes, VAT is calculated from the shipping fee as well). The only (legal) way to not being charged with import fees happens when the items are manufactued in "destination" countries. Maaaybe there are some exceptions when the company is registered in each and every country it imports the goods to but I'm not sure how it works (and most of fashion brands, especially "niche" ones like Visvim wouldn't do stuff like that because it's not worth the effort for them- their products will sell anyway). Also if a european shop is exporting goods outside of EU borders, it can of course subtract VAT (as long as they have proper export paperwork- that's why EU shops will rather use courier solutions like DHL / UPS rather than domestic post offices- these courier companies handle customs clearance). I really don't get it why people don't understand why EU or US prices are significantly higher than japanese ones... in EU we are speaking about around 10-20% custom fees depending on the item / country + 20-23 % on top of that + shipping. Not to mention additional fees like customs agents fees which handle the import.

Not a very good argument. The declared value on the package does not have to be the retail value you paid.

It can't however be lower then the value the retailer/manufacturer paid.

So the 30% import charges you correctly talk about can be greatly reduced to a 2.0 value.

Aso:

Yes it absolutely has to. Why? Because the export invoices / receipts cannot be incongruent with the actual sales numbers, for tax/bookkeeping reasons.. I owned a business which is mainly focussed on exporting for 3 years now, I'd know a thing or two about it...

Not a very good argument. The declared value on the package does not have to be the retail value you paid.

It can't however be lower then the value the retailer/manufacturer paid.

So the 30% import charges you correctly talk about can be greatly reduced to a 2.0 value.

Quick sizing help: I'm a 9 in Skagway, 9.5 in FBT Lhamo & Shaman JP. Would I be a 9 in Virgils?

My experience seems to be:

Virgil's fit TTS.

73 Folk fit 0.5 size larger (size down)

FBT fit about 0.5-1 size smaller. (size up)

Skagway fit 0.5-1 size larger (size down)