Hedi Slimane/Saint Laurent/Dior Homme general discussion thread

bill

imo yes. the custom items i saw, which appear to be identically the same, have never been labeled 'slp'. the guys just use the exact same measurements and materials, thats what they say. they even got the herringbone chains on them, just no label. ive never ordered from them yet, but would be interested to see the quality compared to an original item

Wait, I'm sorry, this is a little confusingly worded. You're saying that normally the fake stuff doesn't have labels, but since these do they are probably real, right?

Wait, I'm sorry, this is a little confusingly worded. You're saying that normally the fake stuff doesn't have labels, but since these do they are probably real, right?

my bad, ill just link the seller:  www.dontlinktofakesandrepros.com

his items look exactly like the legit stuff, except for the tag. theres no tag in them. he seems to exactly copy the original items, but without having the intention to sell 'fake' stuff. it simply looks like the original but his prices are modest.

still i have no clue if there is actual fake slp already around, but id never buy it off of any random ebay seller anyways. If youre looking for legit slp on ebay, go check out boombayeh, though his prices hardly differ from retail

Edited by wild bill

I love how something so historically situated (as far as fashion is concerned) as silver rocker boots get re-released twice in the span of 10 yrs (by the same designer but two diff labels) and some people still wanna KOP. These guys are either 16 y/o or were clueless the last time around. Ultimate irony would be some Diorbeast reselling his DH to buy SLP.

Obviously there's a demand. Dude must be doing something right. Fashion is still a business, if it'll sell it will be produced. What's wrong with rereleasing an item? If undercover rereleased those ethnic riders I would cop in a heartbeat as would many people. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean other people don't. By your logic no designer should make the same thing twice.

I can see where fuuma is coming from but by in large, the clothing for SLP is pretty simple and basic just done in ridiculously lux materials. Honestly, I still dress the same way I did back in the early 2000's for the most part, so it works out just fine for me. But then again, I like jeans, t-shirts, and leather jackets. 

my bad, ill just link the seller:  www.dontlinktofakesandrepros.com

his items look exactly like the legit stuff, except for the tag. theres no tag in them. he seems to exactly copy the original items, but without having the intention to sell 'fake' stuff. it simply looks like the original but his prices are modest.

still i have no clue if there is actual fake slp already around, but id never buy it off of any random ebay seller anyways. If youre looking for legit slp on ebay, go check out boombayeh, though his prices hardly differ from retail

But what about something like this?

http://page14.auctio...tion/s332651577

Edited by wild bill

Obviously there's a demand. Dude must be doing something right. Fashion is still a business, if it'll sell it will be produced. What's wrong with rereleasing an item? If undercover rereleased those ethnic riders I would cop in a heartbeat as would many people. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean other people don't. By your logic no designer should make the same thing twice.

yea

fashion is sometimes a business

...a very lucrative business 2 sell "Cruella de Vil" fur coats

KY3rX6k.jpg

How would I go about bidding on this if I don't know Japanese? Would I use Buyee, or is that just a scam?

And is the general consensus that all the SLP stuff for sale is legit?

Use a proxy. Like suto or sharpservice. Though its been a while since i used any of those.

What do you think about SLP t-shirts?

I don´t like even if they cost 40€, but 250€ for a cotton white t-short???!!!!

I don't like for €40 but I like much for €250, much so better the tee, yes?

Kim Kardashian makes a lot of reality tv money so she must be doing something right, WTF is that shit? Making money is not a criteria for appreciating aesthetics.

There are several problems with SLP:

1) Slimane hasn't successfully grappled with the YSL legacy, something he didn't have to do at Dior because there was no great, original Dior menswear legacy. At SLP he does womenswear and was preceded by someone who did a pretty good job at menswear. A good fashion house designer has to find a creative space that is at once removed from it's original designs and still referencing it's spirit and certain classical design cues, usually adding bold gestures the designer is remembered for. Slimane either picks up outdated cues from SLP (floppy hats and bows, WTF!!) with none of the spirit or trust of the original or discards them entirely to create his own universe.

2) Because of 1) it should be self-evident that you cannot create the same thing at DH and YSL and he is mainly attempting to do Slimane at both.

3) Slimane DH yrs were accompanying a wider-reaching cultural movement and had thus relevance, that movement is now dead and a caricature and it is definitely too early for revival. He should discard the girly rock elements and stick to tailoring and harsh, purely fashion looks if he wants to keep something from his earlier days. His few seasons at YSL menswear could be a good start, he had some great pieces that don't look dated. I don't deny you can find some pretty good individual pieces at SLP (I know people who did buy some good stuff), however most garments aren't very cool and the styling/total look/website is atrocious.

4) LA has very little to do with SLP even though the dude is there. Yeah he finds inspiration there blablabla but he's a global designer and is definitely not bound to the style of a specific place.

5) Those stupid silver booties are pretty much the embodiment of all these SLP problems and thus suck dick.

6) SLP clientele makes me want to buy an AK

I think it's quite evident that Hedi had no intention of continuing the ysl legacy closely from the very beginning. One of the reasons he was brought into the house was so that it can once again become relevant 'commercially', and less about reinvigorating and reinterpretating ysl's design codes.

Unfortunately this seems to be the trend many design houses are following. It's become more important to be commercially successful than to be a creative force. Just look at Wang being brought into Balenciaga.

The name change was a very significant factor. That set the tone of what was to follow and Hedi's approach to design. Clearly, Hedi realizes that there is still a void that needs to be filled after he left DH and now he is capitalizing on this at Saint Laurent. From what we have seen so far, Hedi's design philosophy is simply designing whatever he wants and then injecting a few minor ysl references here and there. One thing he is following though, is creating controversies.

Hedi is not here to offer anything aesthetically new. Saint Laurent is all about gaining publicity and making a profit. PPR is getting exactly what they wanted. Stefano was never able to achieve this.

There's an article from the New York Times entitled Mr. Provocative and it's an interesting read. Saint Laurent is the 2nd most viewed collection on Style.com since Hedi's arrival. Before, it wasn't even in the top 10. One thing is for sure, Hedi knows how to generate strong reactions and it's working to his advantage.

Jealous. Post a pic with the varsity?

sure thing, can do that tomorrow

boots look good. also good with the jeans.

what are the jeans? balenciaga? which ones?

thanks

theyre indeed balenciagas but theyre about 1 year old, gotta check if i can find them again

Kim Kardashian makes a lot of reality tv money so she must be doing something right, WTF is that shit? Making money is not a criteria for appreciating aesthetics.

Nor did I say so. It doesn't deny there is a demand for the boots, and as a result they will be produced. Investors don't care if he sells a sack of shit as long as it makes them money. Yes, some of the pieces are ridiculous, over the top, or just plain retarded. He also has many subtle pieces that are made from quality materials and fit well. I have a pair of the denim that fits me better than anything else. They are amazing. Look at the f/w season the duffle jacket and boots look amazing. I think we can both agree that there are some quality individual pieces. Overall styling doesn't do old ysl justice or fit within its heritage. However, I think that was precisely why he was brought on. Older seasons did not sell. Heidi for better or worse has put saint laurent back on the map.

Investors don't care if he sells a sack of shit as long as it makes them money. [..] Heidi for better or worse has put saint laurent back on the map.

That's really all there is to say on the matter. Obviously YSL and Hedi spoke about where he was going before he was hired because he was given a ton of responsibility. If people think it's rehashed, then they won't buy it. But something has been stirred up and SLP seems like it's on its way to recovery.

few more close ups and a fit pic, excuse its horrible quality but lighting was terrible and i had to use the front facing camera so i could get myself on the pic without having to use the phone in front of my head and thus get a bad angle. so its basically just about the silhouette

H6Li3gm.jpg

CXxshRW.jpg

s8RUBmW.jpg0KUosXS.jpg

That's really all there is to say on the matter. Obviously YSL and Hedi spoke about where he was going before he was hired because he was given a ton of responsibility. If people think it's rehashed, then they won't buy it. But something has been stirred up and SLP seems like it's on its way to recovery.

Once again don't see how this is relevant to the discussion. It is self-evident that someone, somewhere think it will sell cause, hey, the company produced it. It doesn't tell us if it is good, hell sales themselves don't tell us if it is good design.

Pilati and YSL's management brought YSL back from the red to making profits, took him a few yrs but the primary work has been done. Hedi Slimane is indeed a big name and he is gathering attention and this is partly why we are talking about him: his output is very feeble compared to his reputation and past collections.

Nor did I say so. It doesn't deny there is a demand for the boots, and as a result they will be produced. Investors don't care if he sells a sack of shit as long as it makes them money. Yes, some of the pieces are ridiculous, over the top, or just plain retarded. He also has many subtle pieces that are made from quality materials and fit well. I have a pair of the denim that fits me better than anything else. They are amazing. Look at the f/w season the duffle jacket and boots look amazing. I think we can both agree that there are some quality individual pieces. Overall styling doesn't do old ysl justice or fit within its heritage. However, I think that was precisely why he was brought on. Older seasons did not sell. Heidi for better or worse has put saint laurent back on the map.

heidi.jpg

Edited by Fuuma

Thanks for the pics, Glitch, the boots and jacket look great! The texture is very interesting and different than what I had imagined. I tried to get into the SLP store in Beverly a few weeks ago to try those two pieces but it wasn't open because the workers refurbishing the interior were protesting or something. D'oh! I was so bummed because that was the only thing I really felt like seeing on Rodeo. 

Once again don't see how this is relevant to the discussion. It is self-evident that someone, somewhere think it will sell cause, hey, the company produced it. [...]

Pilati and YSL's management brought YSL back from the red to making profits, took him a few yrs but the primary work has been done. Hedi Slimane is indeed a big name and he is gathering attention and this is partly why we are talking about him: his output is very feeble compared to his reputation and past collections.

Not sure how that seemed irrelevant to you, but I was basically trying to say the same as you just did and kinda put the matter to rest. 

Looking good glitch. Are those boots pretty slim fitting? 

one might think so but theyre indeed really forgiving, especially around the ankle due to the adjustable strap. the rest of the shoe really does feel like a second skin, though in a positive way. the shoe itself is kinda 'stretchable'

Thanks for the pics, Glitch, the boots and jacket look great! The texture is very interesting and different than what I had imagined. I tried to get into the SLP store in Beverly a few weeks ago to try those two pieces but it wasn't open because the workers refurbishing the interior were protesting or something. D'oh! I was so bummed because that was the only thing I really felt like seeing on Rodeo. 

thanks! And yes, same for me. i was surprised in a good way

Once again don't see how this is relevant to the discussion. It is self-evident that someone, somewhere think it will sell cause, hey, the company produced it. It doesn't tell us if it is good, hell sales themselves don't tell us if it is good design.

You seem to forget Slimane started at YSL in 96 and was there till 2001 when he left to start Dior Homme where he had carte blanche. There is simply no way Hedi was going to come out of retirement and go back to YSL without having the same kind of creative freedom he had at DH. besides Pilati & Slimane are polar opposites background & design wise. it's also already been explained the SLP concept is a reboot to the early spirit of YSL, which was more about rebellious youth & androginity rather then dressing rich housewives which is sort of what YSL had become.. That doesn't mean i'm giving Hedi a free pass.. the whole LA thing is getting a bit cliché.. i mean i like biker wear & vintage clothing but at the going prices i'm expecting a little more forward thinking approach.. still a few pieces i might cop when sales hit..