Hedi Slimane/Saint Laurent/Dior Homme general discussion thread

bill

I want the light blue jeans, but not sure if the length and fit is gonna be good. Luisaviaroma's pics arent helping at all. So is it safe to assume that the sizing is exactly like DH?

Any idea when the FW items are hitting the stores?

The SLP jeans have a lower rise than DH denim and the inseam is a little bit shorter as well. I sized up one from a 30, in DH, to a 31 for SLP. Because they have a lower rise they will sit on the hips. The 'slim' cut(17.5) is the way to go IMO. The 'straight'(19) actually seems a touch wider than DH 19cm cuts and the 'skinny'(16) is really really slim. Gotta have a rockstar build to wear those.

Edited by dzynr78

I've been to the SLP store on Rodeo a few times now and I've been able to walk right in every time. I don't think it's by appointment anymore.

The merchandise is quite nice but unfortunately the tops(jackets, tees, jumpers) are REALLY cropped in length. I'm 6'2" and there's no way that I could wear any of the tops. They sit above the waistband of my jeans which looked absolutely ridiculous. I felt the quality of the denim was pretty solid. Nice weights and finishes to them.

The sales associates are really nice and very helpful.

took a second look at the collection again.

the styling is horrible and doesn't make much sense, just as in the men's collection (for the house and for a collection as a whole)

however, the detail shots offer a glimpse of hope (for some of the nicer individual pieces)...

for me, the crystal-studded tights, the sequin mini-skirt, and combat boots are pretty damn cool

i'm sure these will sell and style well on their own.

SX3Yp5u.jpg

h8aw08S.jpg

hopefully looking forward to a tasteful magazine shoot where they can highlight some of the more elegant pieces, and not make the clothes like they came from some shitty corner of hollywood

I have been a Slimane die hard for a very long time, but damn, he just about killed me with this most recent collection. I liked the rough look in the mens line, but here, it is just not working for me. I lamented the lack of heels, but more than that: the big clunky boots could not be further from sexy. I also disliked the goofy charm chains; that shit just looks tacky. More generally, I found that there was little 'fit' to the outfits. That is to say that the words 'form flattering' could not be used to describe any aspect of the collection. Finally, I was put off by the borderline homely models. Call me harsh, but damn. The hair was the worst part (even worse than the awful eye liner), for me, because it looks like the careless mops that surround me everyday in my fine arts studies. Flopped up out the beeeed, turn my swag off, Don't own a mirror so I say 'whatevs, whatevs, whatevs,' Uggghhh, my hair's greasy . . .

Fashion is a personal thing. I'm sure some people are going to dig this, but not me. I like glam. I loved his previous collection for SLP. Sure, I'll give Slimane credit for the details — there is a lot of detail — but I don't find them to be particularly desirable ones. Crystal encrusted fishnets? I cannot conceive an outfit those would 'belong' to, in my own aesthetic.

I was a bit disgusted by the detail shot of the chunky green aran sweater. His obsession with sequin during these last few collections needs to be toned down.

I'm usually quite fond of grunge influences. I really loved Dries' women's collection for SS13, I like the way Raf used the famous Kurt Cobain dress at the back of the coats in his summer collection, Number (N)ine was always one of my favorites, but this just seems so incredibly lazy and devoid of any sort of humor or second thought. It looks like he took the lookbook posts that got the most hype and recreated them with YSL's funds. The closing look is literally just a copy of the Cobain dress Raf used as well coated in some glittery shit and put on a girl with the same haircut Kurt had. It's almost the antithesis to grunge.

I was a bit disgusted by the detail shot of the chunky green aran sweater. His obsession with sequin during these last few collections needs to be toned down.

Funny, that was one the few looks that I just tolerate. It reminds me a bit of a less flashy, ill-fitting version of this thing Anja Rubik wore for Balmain f/w 11 — a look I rather liked for it textural complexity. Just saying

7ZlpF5g.jpg

GkUZnga.png

https://twitter.com/...832926437634048

^it's fitting that courtney would approve of the recent collection, ha.

the words 'form flattering' could not be used to describe any aspect of the collection

yeah... too many loosey-casual silhouettes

anyway, bonus backstage pic:

mMQKXlR.jpg

by the way, does anyone have other detail shots of the black leather dresses finale?

WxIFvTW.jpg

this is the only image i've been able to find

Edited by Vampyrvargfesten

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the light blue western shirt, fit is not DH slim, surprisingly, and the arm sleeves are kinda short compared to my other DH shirts. I'm an average build (5,9) and the end of the sleeves are hitting on my wrist bone, so I'm not sure the sleeves will look good to anyone taller than me.

That said, I really like the small details like the metal chain links, and the tags have this amazing texture. Shirt is MIJ and in case anyone wanna cop it, I bought it from DSM. It retailed for 390 quids, but its 320 + 25 shipping if sent to the US. Way cheaper than YSL.com price.

What size are those leather pants?

Can't see leather pants fitting better on anyone who wears at least a size 46. 48 is pushing it.

still reeling about the fact that the problem with hedi slimane is really when people just talk shit about him and his work and cant shut the fuck up. people are literally obsessed about him. its no wonder he doesn't want to take interviews. he was partially revered at dior homme and he obviously knows that everybody's fucking crazy. i cant stand how people feel offended and let down by a person's artwork, its immature. if you dont wish to consume his work, just say so, and then please stop posting shitty pointless comments. if you dont like it, move onto the next, dont whine and project dumb shit onto everything. venting hard. flip side to the coin is that you can describe what you dont like about things, but the mindless comments about hedi and slp that i see everywhere are just hecklers getting the morons all hot and bothered. saw one comment somewhere that read "hedi slimane has clearly got NO talent." says....who?

Edited by quedateluna

Calm down.

We know Hedi has talent. He also has the funds, resources and the full control of SLP. People are disappointed because they wanted strong, "forward-thinking" collections. A 2013 version of what Dior Homme was. FW13 was too literal.

I don't doubt the quality of the clothes is great and I am not saying the clothes look bad.

but those are the clothes that are sold at "highstreets" stores, made by Hedi.

he was brought in to the house to "change things up" and appeal to a younger client and he has done just that.

many of the popular and fashion houses today have done similar things to shake things up... it's nothing we haven't seen before.

givenchy for example, has benefited enormously from bringing on tisci, and the brand is more popular than ever with young people. could the same level of public interest have existed before his arrival? i don't think so.

i have handled many slp pieces and own a couple of pieces as well... the stuff is good quality, and is exactly what i'm looking for personally. obviously it's not for everyone.

i respect his consistency in his vision, even if a lot of people will bitch and moan that he isn't progressive or stepping out of his comfort zone. at this moment, his voice is unique to what he is presenting... and in a wave of supermodern minimalist shit, having someone who stands out on his own is refreshing to see.

the saint laurent brand is whatever it is. it's no longer ysl, so might as well with marilyn mason.

one of the reasons why people are so disappointed is they were expecting hedi to have a fresh take on ysl and bring something new to the table, different from what tom and stefano did. they just werent expecting a rehash of dh. they're disappointed because it's not yves saint laurent anymore, it's just saint laurent by hedi.

saint laurent is very much like givenchy, in regards to targeting an entirely different and younger market, as vampyrvargfesten mentioned. what riccardo is doing at givenchy has very little to do with the heritage of the label. hedi seems to be following similar footsteps with the rebranding of saint laurent.