visvim s/s 2013

Yom

Can I just ask... coming from someone who doesn't hold much knowledge on Visvim, why are the products insanely expensive, such as the ballistic backpack costing like £500+

Do they last for decades or something?

goes into the quality materials and quality construction argument. vis: quality material, sometimes not so quality construction. sometimes the stuff breaks down because of the construction, but it depends on the piece. for example: ballistics hold up nice, lamina...different story

goes into the quality materials and quality construction argument. vis: quality material, sometimes not so quality construction. sometimes the stuff breaks down because of the construction, but it depends on the piece. for example: ballistics hold up nice, lamina...different story

Yep, I have the Nez Perce Ballistic Backpack from 2007 that still in pretty okay condition.

visvim's long lasting product is an internet myth. They use nice fabrics with usually nice handfeel and beautiful dyes but it doesn't mean they will last longer, on the contrary. The finishings and patterns are very neat though.

Edited by emixam

Lamina backpacks are of shitty quality, so are the social sculpture jeans (at least what is being released nowadays). Lamina backpack shoulder straps rip with time, jeans fade too easily and rip as well, not to mention the seams that rip everywhere (there are threads only for decoration and regular threads that "build" the jeans, the decoration seams rip very easily). Also there are a lot of bleeding issues when you wash V stuff (even if you handwash with mild detergent in cold water.

The fact is that V stuff is NOT build to last, these things age nicely despite the issues mentioned above. The washes are beautiful, so are the color dyes, but the problem is that the nicer the colors, the less permanent they are.

As you can see at the photos, the tongue is attached (by means of leather-like tape thing) to a piece of leather that goes between the shoelaces and the tongue, so basically there are two layers of thick leather between your feet and shoelaces. Hope this helps. (a sidenote: Moncler V hiking boots have more traditional construction with two 'flaps, that cover the tongue and go between the shoelaces and the tongue, so there are 3 layers):

-edit- ps. I have a pair of brand new FW11 Serra lt Blue for sale, size US9.5, in a very good price.

visvim_serra.jpg

Edited by kodziru

Master- the guys who own companies say many things :)

But seriously, if these items were built to last, they wouldn't be selling shoes with crepe soles ot at least they would make sure that their sole swap procedures work efficiently and fast (as things are now, if you order a sole swap you will wait a few months and pay a small fortune- you can just try to grab another pair of the same shoes; it's a broken system, it simply doesn't work), they would care more about fading/bleeding of their garments when washed and alter the dyeing proccess to make the colors a bit more permanent- I do understand the concept that their stuff is more about aging nicely than preventing the aging altogether, however it's not neccassarily nice if a certain garment after 20-30 washes is totally faded.

Not to mention weak build quality of Visvim denim, lamina backpacks, etc..

I love Visvim and it's my go-to brand for pretty much anything nowadays, but I definitely don't expect these items to last for many years. You just need to get enough of their stuff to NOT wear out particular pieces

oh and remember about economy and the world we currently live in, everything becomes obsolete or wears out very quickly. Cars designed to last about 8-9 years and everything falls apart, mobile phones becoming obsolete/irrelevant/"not good enough" each year, clothes.. they want us to buy more and more stuff, why would a clothing brand want to create stuff that lasts 20 years? It's not a good move business-wise and I'm sure Hiroki is aware of that. His PR and image are another story of course.

It's you patch things and fix rips as they happen things can last a very long time. Now if your one of those people that says this shirt sucks it faded after 30 washes, then I cant help you there. Personally I don't give a shit if a shirt fades

The sole swop procedure is a pain cause the shoes are a pain to make. Go watch the video on the website. Takes the guy 4 min to do a stitch, what I herd they will do now is send you the sole and you can have your on cobbler do it. The shoe process is a nightmare but they have so many handmade shoe styles and no other brand really does that to that extent I should say

Another question about Visvim sizing. Does anybody know how the Visvim x Sophnet FBTs fit? I've got the chance to get my hands on a pair in size 9. In regular FBTs I'm also a size 9. Do the Sophs fit more like a regular 10 or 9.5 (I think 9.5 would be still okay for me… but 10 is too big)?

i got vis x sophnet americana from couple of seasons back and they run big. But I heard the recent released fabro run tts ..

Nah I don't give that much of a fuck either, I just don't see Visvim stuff build to last. Although I wouldn't mind all these beautiful colors being a bit more permanent.

Btw master, do they need a receipt from Visvim store to give you the sole or you just name the model and size and they will ship the soles no questions asked? Did you do it/ do you know anybody who did it?

Edited by kodziru

In case anyone is interested.  These are both size 3.  The scout shorts are a FIL exclusive.  And the chino shorts are available worldwide it seems.  I take a size 3 in all pants and shorts I own, but the scout's were too small.

wvadls.jpg

I think HN's vision is really to make long lasting and well-built products, in this way he is not lying when he explains his brand concept. But Visvim remains a fashion brand and fashion by essence isn't really compatible with that concept. However their aim is really to challenge this by trying not to compromise the design and comfort with quality. Not an easy task, but definitey an interesting process.

HN wants to involve more artisans doing his products, but if you want to make things really good it takes time and focus. Vis is a young brand, only 13 years old, and doing many different products : how can you compare their shoes with Viberg or Whites for example ? Viberg has been making shoes only for more than 80 years and with limited models : this is how they mastered the art of making life lasting boots, that Visvim cannot really compete with at the moment. Visvim realeases new models each seasons and the recurrent ones use new materials or washes each season : this leads to bad surprise sometimes. The time they can spend on R&D is limited compared to specialized brands like Viberg again. So they don't always have time to experiment the proto on the long term before final products reach the customers : some materials may not suit one particular model  and the customers will discover it after some wear/use (such as the lamina packs : I am sure if they had done futher R&D they would have realized the problem earlier, but now we are sure never to see this iteration again).

I like the fact the brand is trying to really combine design, comfort and quality and we can see that with so many followers they are succeeding - some may call us blind but I like to think otherwise. HN hasn't achieved half of his goal, because crafting the perfect product takes time, but we can say after only13 years the level is already quite high on many levels.

Edited by emixam

Here's the problem. If your like me in the states shipping the shoes there and back is $80 and then the soles are like 15,000 yen. So it's pretty much $200 per shoe. So it's costly, but like I would only do it again with certain styles or colorways I know I would never get again. Like I did it to my kngr Virgil's , and for that it would of made more sense to sell them and buy a new pair, now for the olive 73 first release, ill keep that thing for life so it makes sense to keep re placing that sole as needed. I sent my shoes to union and I was the first US customer to do this that I know of. Union at the time did not know how much it was or anything like that. I pretty much sent them blindly and had to pay what ever visvim charged

image-3_zps69b866c9.jpeg

image-4_zpscc4eb95f.jpeg

a customer's 73 folk after resoling. he was delighted and commented that these boots will be able to last forever as long as he resole them. which is true, the leather looks better than ever after being 'abused'. polished with visvim's shoe care kit. he remembers the stain at the toe box from his 30th bday cake. yes these shoes do last.

and yeah with the whole concept of item being made to last but they are supposed to age nicely, indigo dye tees fades and stains everything, but I've seen how good an indigo dye tee evolve its beautiful and it ages according to how the owner wears and wash it therefore making it personal.

It's probably the photo, but the biggest difference is that the thigh area is narrower on the scouts.

scout shorts this season fits more than a size smaller in comparison with the slub and kano cord shorts. but they are both of a diff cut tho the waist is pretty much the same.