visvim s/s 2013

Yom

The bag in question is fake.  Visvim never had a "made in xxx" tag, even for 2005 models.  Also, there has been fakes like the Northern Isle Backpack which came out in 2005.

If that's the case, I'll be very surprised.  This means HUF has sold me a counterfeit backpack.  I will follow up with Visvim to verify the legitimacy of HUF as an official dealer.  All this sounds very bizarre to me.

The bag in question is fake.  Visvim never had a "made in xxx" tag, even for 2005 models.  Also, there has been fakes like the Northern Isle Backpack which came out in 2005.

No, you're wrong.  If he bought the bag from Huf there is no way its fake.  I know (and currently employ) multiple 6+ year Huf employees, nobody ever at that company stocked a fake product.  It would have been detrimental to the brand and entire retail mini-chain.  Visvim was doing so many different things with very little focus ten years ago.  You remember the G-Line?  That shit was so confusing, i have t-shirts, bags, sneakers, and shorts from that line, they were made in Japan, China, Korea, Vietman, it didn't matter.  The shit was awesome and the quality was good.  They were using so many factories back then that there was no constant form of branding on the products.

The backpack is real. 

My 2004 Trekker (now known as the Ballistic 20L), their first ever backpack, has the inside label "Made In - Fabriquea China". This backpack was purchased from F.I.L. and has the original box and tags. Kiya's is from F/W 05-06 where they stopped putting the "Made in xxx" tags in. Shakers, are from S/S collections, yours in particular S/S 2005. Additionally my S/S 2006 Cordu 22L (now known as the Ballistic/Lamina 22L) omits the "Made in xxx" tag as well.

However, in recent years the tag has made a reappearence and is in form of your usual "garment care label". For example, my Homer tote from F/W 11-12 has a "Made in China" tag. As Kiya mentioned Visvim has utilised many factories over the decade, a lot of the original footwear, such as my Kiefer Lo's from 2006 were made in Korea before shifting to China.

Edited by rirawin

if im not mistaken, a 'made in' tag is necessarily for import-export purposes. custom needs to know where the item was made and their materials. regarding with visvim, i dont have anything from pre 2010 but my 2011 backpack and 2012 tote has 'made in china' tag in form of 'garment care label' just like rirawin mentioned. 

Edited by seven.homme

^ you are right, it is madtaory to have a made in label on products for export, but my ballistic from FW08 has no made in tags either (and for some reason the Grizzly also has no made in printed inside the shoe)

Update: I have established email communication from contacting Visvim.

Hopefully they can clear up the "made in xxx" label confusion.  But I'm not sure if they'll be able to provide info on their tagging practices from an early collection.  I'll wait to hear from them on the matter.

I'm also confident in HUF will never allow counterfeit products to be sold through their store.

To complicate matters, the buyer just sent me this link for a counterfeit item: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.145.Jva7Ft&id=25325092889

- This counterfeit bag shows a horizontal label, placed inside the laptop compartment, though I'm unable to figure out what it reads from that distance.

- The "made in China" label on mine was also horizontal, but was placed inside the main compartment: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/LAFINIA/are%20u%20kidding%20me/IMG_9548_zps564da520.jpg

- The buyer also insists that authentic Visvim backpacks should not have a "made in xxx" tag: http://m.hypebeast.com/2008/6/visvim-ballistic-20-patchwork-backpack

By the way, has there been a variation in the material weight/thickness of leather and ballistic nylon used by Visvim on their bags over the years?  The buyer insists that the material on the backpack is lighter weight than other packs he has owned.

The counterfeit item from taobao is nothing like the real thing, exterior shape, side pockets, interior pockets etc.

Also the link he's referring to on Hypebeast is the S/S 2008 shaker backpack, the one you sold him is from 2005!

Another surefire way of knowing if it's legit is the inside label and the keyring clip attachment, if it has "Duraflex" on the reverse side of "VISVIM" it's legitimate, fakes do not have this. Also fake backpacks do not come with box and tags, just tags.

The buyer is an idiot and doesn't have a clue. Seriously, as someone else pointed out, get him to ship the backpack back to you and refund him. Sounds all way too much hassle.

^^ yeah .. wish they still give them to normal customer. but i think it has been discussed here before, that hiroki doesnt want them to end at auction sites, so now they limited the distribution to stores and close friends/vip etc ..

Edited by seven.homme

Does this video rub anybody the wrong way? the guy sewing the soles is wearing a s.s. shirt of some kind and a visvim branded apron. I would love to think hiroki hooks his contractors up with his goods but lets face it thats not happening. I think thats kinda horseshit, and most of the chinese factories where his shoes are sewn are not that quiet or serene. I get its a marketing thing but its kinda odd...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IAssOhx10Gk

Edited by Fycus

^^ yeah I would like to think like you but he told me once he has a bunch of experienced men working in the shoe facility. Now I doubt there wearing visvim daily but I'm sure he has tossed everybody some things. Especially if they have been sewing shoes for him for years. But yes I agree there is a marketing aspect to the video to some degree

if you've been to the factories, even the higher end ones, its not a lone man in a room stitching these shoes with a hand carved box full of tools and threads. Its done on an assembly line, in a factory environment, where other shoes are being made for other brands, and each component being added at a station (no matter the quality). I understand if he wants to pull a line worker off and have him do a demo with some nice samples in a quiet environment, but the image being portrayed here is misleading...

Cannot see the videao - fuckin VPN is broken. Anyway I may be wrong but I think, the handmade process means that one man will make the shoe from A to Z, so there is no line of production as you mentioned (which is the case in factories producing "normal" shoes - I have been to several shoes factories in China so I know what it looks like)

Edited by emixam

I live in a world where japanese grannies, after the crops, somewhere in a remote village near the mountains, weave the linen of my Noragi and hand-dye it in a wooden bucket. I refuse to believe otherwise.

if you've been to the factories, even the higher end ones, its not a lone man in a room stitching these shoes with a hand carved box full of tools and threads. Its done on an assembly line, in a factory environment, where other shoes are being made for other brands, and each component being added at a station (no matter the quality). I understand if he wants to pull a line worker off and have him do a demo with some nice samples in a quiet environment, but the image being portrayed here is misleading...

Does anyone know the deal with those crummy buttons that randomly appear on Visvim shirts / pants? The one that are like chrome plated plastic eg lhamo cuffs. Think the one wash / damaged also come with paint chipping from the distressing process.

Also have seen these on uniqlo military shirts so thought there might be a story there?