WAYWT? [Denim Version] 2013

#GRAY

Really I'd say it's more of a mid length wool overcoat than a peacoat, you could call it either and AA calls it a peacoat but I think double breasted, bigger collar and shorter length when I think of a peacoat. The length, as most things are, is just personal preference really imo.

AA description says it has 'fitted shoulders' so I knew I'd need a L when just about every other shirt/coat I have is M or equivalent sizes. I assure you the shoulders fit nearly perfect, the seams are right on top of my shoulder just about a quarter inch in from the gap where the joint begins. The only thing was the sleeves seemed to be about a half inch longer than I would have liked.

I left the top button alone and moved the bottom 4 buttons over to form a straight diagonal line outward to make it fitted through the body also making it slightly asymmetrical/off-centered. It fits much tighter by my armpits/sides of chest now and that made the sleeves fit a bit shorter too. Where the buttons were gave it an A shape instead of the V it is now, and when laid flat the side seams weren't actually on the sides but in back. I pulled the front pieces over to where the side seams were the sides then and made sure to line everything up to make it smooth all over for a sleek fit with nothing weird happening with the fabric anywhere and the chest/shoulders are structured so that movement was not restricted in anyway. I took my time and I think it turned out pretty well, the shoulders/chest fit that of a L and the body is more of a S/M which is ideal for my body type.

I just have a rather large frame and broad squared off shoulders but I'm pretty skinny (6'3'' 150-60) so having it fitted through the chest and waist makes my shoulders look even wider by comparison and also the shoulders have a rather defined structure on this coat so that accentuates the shape but my shoulders fill it just right I'd say.

Edit - If you think I look like a jackass that's fine you're allowed to, but I have to say I disagree and there's my explanation as to why.

Edited by bargerhm

[...]

In that case, perhaps better lighting would make for a better photo? Poor lighting can make even the most perfect of fits look bad.

And I know this isn't exactly in alignment with the superdenim aesthetic, but perhaps some dressier tops (or just a knit tie/cardigan addition) than a flannel shirt would go better with the more formal aesthetic of your coat.

And possibly exchange the RWs for those brogue looking shoes on the floor, single cuff the jeans, don't wear a hat indoors, lose the fingerless gloves and maybe the peacoat looks a lot better in that context? Not criticising, just discussing

kansas - Yes, go to Mizzou, no couldn't care less about the sports. I hate the events, the town just floods with tons of people who look the same and it sucks to go anywhere.

I can see where you're both coming from there, it definitely is more of a formal coat than your typical peacoat, I wear ties with sweaters/cardigans with it a lot. But with slacks, ties and jeans don't happen in my book.

I would never wear my Allen Edmonds with denim but that's just me. Maybe with a slimmer cut but it just seems like those shouldn't go together. Also those AEs with that flannel would make me look like a dingus as it's basically a safari shirt.

I've been wanting some new gloves but those were cheap are made by 3M and I like 3M stuff and I need gloves cause it's cold. And of course I always take my hat off in most situations when I go indoors, just threw it on to take a picture before I left.

Edited by bargerhm

• sufu1 unpinned this topic