Heavyweight Denim Championship 2011/13 Final Picture thread

beatle

Hello all.

It had been so long since this contest started that i had forgotten what i had offered up as prizes. Megatron reminded me of the prizes just now, here are my picks.

-A never before released jean from Self Edge that nobody will ever have, let's hope it's your size. (The "i destroyed my jeans beyond recognition" award)

Dingo

I will buy you lunch and get you super duper wasted (The "you're a drunk" award") [only available in SF, NY, LA, or Tokyo according to my schedule]

EvilCrayon (I know he didn't submit his photographs, but if you saw this jean you wouldn't believe it. He wore the flannel lined Iron Heart jeans for 2 years straight)

Now time for some explanation..

As much as i'm the guy that has stores selling some of these brands i am still first and foremost a fan of both denim and Superfuture. I have always liked a jean that fades in a unique way but what i have disliked is a jean that ages in such way that the aging is so dramatic that it looks artificial. This is becoming more and more prominent due to the wearers not washing their jeans as often as they should and manufacturers feeding into this by creating a fabric where the indigo falls off very easily. I have mixed feelings about this, especially once you get into heavier fabrics. The heavier the denim the more pronounced the fading will be because of how the fabric reacts to creases, this is only true though of a jean that has not been factory rinsed. We believe that a jean that is heavier than 20oz or so should be rinsed at the factory to soften the fabric, this also would nearly double the life of the jean and would avoid early crotch blow-outs and the dreaded "cuts" behind the knees. With the weight game being played now by nearly every Japanese (and even many western) brands we want to see denim that is interesting and functional, not just heavy.

Congrats to all the winners, contact me via email or PM and i'll get you sorted on your prize!

Edited by kiya

Massive thanks to Kiya for all his support for this contest.

The Champion, and second and third spots will be confirmed at the end of the month :)

Sorry, haven't been checking into the contest..

Iron heart x634sx

Started wearing on 01/01/2011 until now. First wash was at 6 months and every 3 months until September 2012 which was the last wash. I will be washing these today and putting up post wash photos.

4QUsyPD.jpg

LPldnd7.jpg?1

D5avuYo.jpg?1

I will put up post wash photos tomorrow.

Edited by Evilcrayon

-A never before released jean from Self Edge that nobody will ever have, let's hope it's your size. (The "i destroyed my jeans beyond recognition" award)

Dingo

Awesome! :D

Thanks so much, this really means a lot to me! Very much looking forward to that special pair, and quite curious too! ;)

Pictures will be posted!

• 4 weeks later...

Final Winners Announcement For Round 1 Of The Heavyweight Denim Championships Of The World.

And we have quite an amazing end to competition, with something that I doubt anyone could have predicted, a German 1,2,3 finish.

1st - Nietenhosen - Iron Heart 666S - 18oz Raw Denim

2nd - Dingo - Samurai S5000VX - 21oz Raw Denim

3rd - Beatle - Iron Heart Beatle Buster - 21oz Sanforised Denim

Congratulations to all our winners, please contact Kiya for your Self Edge gift certificate prizes. I will arrange to have the HWDC belt shipped to our first Heavyweight Champion Of The World..

Nietenhosen

Congratulations

did the final wash on my iron heart 666s 18oz (think it was the fifth?).

there is a lot of wear (but if I had worn these for the full two years, there were not much left..) in this pair, all in all I have to say that I would definitely get another pair of these. front pockets are still in full function. did a lot of repair, all cotton threads have been redone on the back pockets.

this is my first pair of iron heart and they are highly recommended!

here are my final pictures:

14120569.ae861050.1024.jpg

14120568.9f687476.1024.jpg

14120573.8fa3af9f.1024.jpg

14120564.1ea4b405.1024.jpg

14120562.f00f2761.1024.jpg

14120566.143b3605.1024.jpg

14120561.7322292b.1024.jpg

14120572.4be8cf19.1024.jpg

14120574.c025a693.1024.jpg

Edited by Megatron1505

Thanks for the journey, fellow denimheads! 2 years was a long time, but it was quite the experience.

Nietenhosen: I don't understand how all your denim turns out so beautifully! Your photos are always top notch too. Do you take photos in cloudy conditions with a prime lens? Looking forward to the live-action belt photos! ;)

2nd and 3rd place doesn't make full sense to me, but it's ultimately a win for the denim scene as a whole. Lots of pretty denim all around from all the different brands. Proud to hold down the fort for Naked and Famous in Round One!

Thanks for organizing this, Mega! Best of luck with Round Two. :D

Woah! Thanks Mega and the rest of the jury – I'm mighty happy with the 2nd place!

Grats to Nietenhosen and Beatle for 1st and 3rd place... I feel honoured to stand on the medalists podium with the two of you!

Yes, it's been a great two years, and I'll be following the next round closely - maybe/hopefully even participating! :-)

many thanks!

first thought was not to participate round two, but as defending champ there is no way out, I think.

problem is that I don't have an idea choosing a pair of heavyweight denim (no super heavyweight, please)...guessing it will be no problem starting a bit later, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Really awesome denim evolution seen on this thread. Congrats to all winners.

The pants from Nietenhosen, Dingo, Kybosh or (outside contest) Osmosis Jones have reached the Holy Grail Status by far.

I wish all those great denim evolution projects an eternal life at a safe place.

I myself can't stop watching those great fading results and have to watch them again and again

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!