Heavyweight Denim Championships 2013 - 2015 - Official Thread

Megatron1505

Beautiful Oni's, BlueOctober! Those are easily my favourite fades.

Thanks! I felt like they would be an outside choice for a contest like this, but I just love the slubby denim.

On another note, sorry for not having a music pic up. When I realized that the challenge was coming to an end, my jeans were already away for a crotch reinforcement, so I guess I'll be taking care of both challenges with the same post.

Part 2 of my Challenge number 6 - the musical one:

For the last couple of years I've been a music journalist on the side of my studies; reviewing gigs, festivals and albums. I can't play for shit anymore, but music still plays an important part. So I thought I'd do my interpretation of this challenge and show five of my favorite records and why I still put them on quite often despite the easy access to new music via Spotify.

14863713603_8385f111dd_o.jpg

Bruce Springsteen - Born to run
I grew up with The Boss. He's very well loved in Sweden in general and by my mom and dad in particular. Together with The Beatles, Queen and Supertramp I'd say Bruce is the soundtrack of my childhood. This record though, is special to me in another sense aswell. It's one of the two albums (the other being Iggy Pop's Raw Power) back from when I lived in London. Plus it has an awsome list of tunes with great saxophone solo's of Clarence Clemmons. Mm, there's nothing that beats an awsome saxophone solo.

The Velvet Underground - The velvet Underground & Nico

Sunday morning is possibly the best hangover song of all the time. That's where it all kicked off. A few years later I read the book Please kill me: the uncensored oral history of punk and began to see The Velvet Underground in a new light with their important part in music history. Bloody great book by the way.

The Rolling Stones - Beggar's banquet
It's not easy to even choose my favorite Stones record. So among the greats, Beggar's banquet gets chosen for the awsome cover. My love for Stones began when we started partying. We were a crew that listened quite alot to old school rock'n'roll and spent endless nights playing, drinking beer and listening to some of the best music ever made. What I like the most about Stones is how you clearly can see the roots in their music, both the blues and the country - and then they evolved it. I'm very happy that I got to see them live.

Led Zeppelin - III
With a heart stemming from rock'n'roll it's more or less impossible to menting Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant have the most awsome vocals of all time if you ask me, it gives me the chill. Much like with the Stones it's all so good. Just going by the track list, perhaps I like the second record even more but hell this is still bloody great and perhaps my favorite cover, at least in my collection. Led Zeppelin also played a big part in those early years of partying and was the soundtrack to many funny annecdotes I hold dear. 

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Last but definitely not least we've got Bowie's Ziggy Stardust. It's one of those records that's crazy good from the first track to the last and it hits me every single time. I'm not that big of a Bowie-fan but it's good, really good all over. And I think that's the most epic credit you can give an album - a complete turnaround from "meh" to "this is awsome!" over 40 minutes. 

There you go, five of my favorite classic albums. Five very good reasons to not just scower for new music but also looking in the backmirror.

Very true, especially for that particular one.

On a sidenote, my love for Springsteen's music began in Sweden. I knew the popular songs with a lot of airpay like Born in the USA or Dancing in the dark before and they didn't appeal much to me. But I was 14 and eating in the Hard Rock Cafe Stockholm while they played a liveperformance of Born to run. I was mesmerized and it's been among my Top 3 songs of all times ever since.

Edited by Max Power

HWDC Challenges Round 7

1) Washing jeans is a controversial and emotive subject for some, share how you clean yours. What's your method and why does it work for you? Pictures please.

2) Don't wash your jeans, if your jeans remain unwashed give us some denim close ups and tell us why you believe that dirt is the way forward.

3) Running repairs. No doubt that some heavy champs jeans are getting pretty beat up, let's see those repairs and talk us through them.

Currently working in another province with no chance to take a picture, but even still I think I can take care of this challenge, even though I posted these photos a couple weeks ago.

I try and keep from washing my denim, it's just a personal thing. It's raw when I buy them and I want to keep them truly raw for as long as possible. When I am wearing my raw denim, I try to keep them clean and not go getting grim on them. I am pretty active in the outdoors, but I am okay with that kind of "natural dirt". If I do get muddy or whatever, I let it dry then use a damp cloth to remove as much as possible.

As long as the jeans don't look dirty and don't smell too bad I will continue to wear them unwashed. If they get a little stinky I will hang them up outside and let them air out or sprinkle talcum powder on the inside to help take some of the slight smell away.

Below, close up of the honeycombs, hard to tell I've been wearing these guys for 1 1/2 years.

[/url]10463947_10152133942485938_2092003624927935623_n by Netleyhunter, on Flickr">14665113572_e45ca5569d_c.jpg

Edited by Netleyhunter

I had to wash my jeans four times in 3 days because i left them in the wash and they soured.  I forget them 3 times and then 6AM two nights ago i just did it really quick watched it and made sure i got them out of the wash this time.

Don’t count me out!  I am fireburner (he-sf-123), a novice wearer of raw denim.  I joined this competition with a significant other ( :(  unfortunately that ended), but that shouldn’t mean the competition has ended.  The easy part is wearing the jeans.  Now, can someone please help me with posting pictures?

Wash Challenge pics part 1, and this is where I reveal my completely unscientific wash regime. This will be about the 10th wash for these jeans and I plan on washing them monthly between now and the end of the contest.

When jeans are new I am quite gentle with them, but after over a year I throw caution to the wind.

First, some pre wash shots.

192ec93e35af906edefa237ea3b0d2eb.jpg

6f004bf89eadfbf9b7cab1d27e694233.jpg

So first I remove the 2 things which I have carried constantly with these jeans, my HWDC belt and one of the removed hems from the jeans which I keep in the back pocket.

4bea9db54ddc09d27af3e6ca903575a0.jpg

af91fc0a99cfe1dac618180855dd9188.jpg

Then I turn them inside out.

eaf99e2f07885c9c630b6279a27dc77d.jpg

1d4cea6351fef9d57679ec1c511bbeb9.jpg

bebe8b5a4ad30d98e28117ffdf1a4474.jpg

The tools of the trade, nothing fancy just regular detergent and fabric conditioner.

004beac2c2b3d353eb2a31fe492bd723.jpg

Place in washing machine.

2802d96993e894e720d3f1b5a244d6db.jpg

Set to high temperature and high spin cycle, watch as denim heads all over the world pass out at the thought of an 800rpm spin.

1a012e04021d89557f24900772669d22.jpg

And await results in part 2.

And the results of my white knuckle ride of denim dirt removal look a little like this...

First a line dry...

5c4da30ca9b11b669643717e13258b69.jpg

After 4 or 5 hours on the line I commit another ultimate denim sin by throwing them in the tumble dryer ( I can hear the collective shock of a hundred denim heads passing out here).

2d848ce14dcdeb83d25ac1c2e9be1757.jpg

And this is the result....(bad lighting)

0a86d126be6c6f8c86fe6a9b65e27bc1.jpg

b62dd532a073afb9b4015326df911b42.jpg

a02648c93f709092bf04a52746a689c8.jpg

ea0159f37374afe4a079080334ca36a6.jpg

26844e13918302915f67de2fdc41c044.jpg

So that is how I clean my MBB's, just like normal folks clean their jeans, no magic here people. From here on in this will be happening at the end of every month.

I have a line like that going down my right leg too on my Gustins from the spin cycle too. Not going to lie I'm pretty jealous of those Spiral Galaxy knees!

They still look great, but was there considerable shrink? Or are they fine?

I tend to wear a size up from my actual size as I like a loose fit, much to the detriment of defined combs, but comfort always triumphs.

After a wash and a tumble dry they do become slightly more snug but nothing too extreme.

And the results of my white knuckle ride of denim dirt removal look a little like this...

First a line dry...

5c4da30ca9b11b669643717e13258b69.jpg

@Megatron - just curious - why did you not unroll the cuffs when washing? Lazy, or is there some effect you're trying to achieve? lol Cheers! 

Challenge post: repairs:

I've had a few minor repairs done, as well as some preventative reinforcing. It started with some minor problems with the crotch seam:

9DF15803-46BC-42E6-AF3B-D050EC5F0D34_zps

00A4BA9E-BB6B-4311-9B7C-EE1BF40A68C7_zps

I had Denim Therapy repair this problem before it developed into a real issue, and they did a great job. Unfortunately, I must have erased the pictures I took before uploading them to Photobucket.

Somewhere along the way, this spot had also developed:

3C6B29A3-C214-465E-BEC8-5A17DDBE2B3E_zps

I'm not sure how this happened, I've seen similar spots where people cuff their jeans, but I never cuff mine. I took a trip to LA a couple months ago, so I figured I'd stop by Self Edge and have them fix it:

4012D386-0473-4F84-B436-3C8D90376068_zps

And since they charge a flat fee, I figured I'd have them go ahead and reinforce the entire crotch area even though it didn't need it yet, since I'd love to still be wearing these 10 years from now:

95E81D71-6EE0-4AAD-B2A3-DA58A38CE404_zps

AF6E4C83-A81D-4FC6-AACB-9FB03CD1BD4A_zps

The reinforcement covered over the original work Denim Therapy did to fix the crotch seam. Self Edge did a great job, although they kinda got a bit over zealous with the darning machine on one inseam as can be seen above. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm guessing that maybe when Denim Therapy fixed the seam originally, they re-stitched it with one row of stitching instead of the double row that Iron Heart uses, this can be seen in the pic above. They also repaired some stitching on the front pocket that was coming loose:

E7BDD007-2CA0-4859-B574-E2EA031ADBF1_zps

78805B00-19D7-4DF9-8F41-8B11382E99D7_zps

Hopefully all this will result in me still breaking this pair out occasionally 10 years or more down the line. I love this denim.