Heavyweight Denim Championships 2013 - 2015 - Official Thread

Megatron1505

Variety is the spice of life, I want to try as many different kinds of denim as I possibly can.  I got photos of my one year wash and I am going to take some quick and sleazy ones in a moment.  I am honestly super happy with my turn out on the one year mark and I am already super pumped to see what another year can do.

Have not posted any photos in awhile.  I have the MBB's in getting some repairs done.  I had some left over Ande Whall Denim that I figured would be good for crotch and misc tears repairs.

Anyways, here they are:

My 2 yr old and I hamming it up after skating

5CCCB71C-859C-4B0F-BA8D-51098DE53ABA_zps

Token Zamboni Shot

599CD9AB-A5FC-48A3-A4AE-E5573D693358_zps

This is what we got for our first day of spring!!!  MBB's tucked into a Cold weather staple the Sorel Boot.

D59FBB67-F8F1-43B2-B4B2-EC7A6E752E6A_zps

Toured our recently built Art Gallery/ Fine Arts facility CASA - Wondered if I could get these producing a 50/50 blend Hemp & Cotton

8F96335B-1B16-40FA-85B3-4FF2CFDB4690_zps

After the visit hit up a local coffee shop for some Lunch.

A788C9BC-E30C-4683-8644-E9AD0A688BDA_zps

1748399C-1B2F-4494-91A9-15290B60455F_zps

Hope you like?!? I'm not much of a photographer so the quality of the photos is suspect.  iPhone or multi focus digital for this guy. 

As I said before MBB's are in for repairs.  Will post 1 year update once I get them back.  April 14th is my 1 yr of wear anniversary.

Sorry for bombing the thread

photo3-1.jpg

this photo below is a good representation of the color.

photo1-3.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo5.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Have not been wearing my jeans for a while now, they wasn't ready from repair in time before I left to Florida, but it didn't matter because it was way too hot to wear them there anyway. But I got them today, now we'll just see if I dare to throw them in the washer!

x444Thm.jpg

iOVK5Cu.jpg

Edited by Slowitchu

Hey Heavy Champs, I'm still being a lame-ass with updates on here but I'm still hoping you'll share some information with me if you have it. I'm about to head for Japan and was wondering if there are any good shops to hit up in Hiroshima or Kanazawa. I'll also be going to Tokyo and Kyoto but have my plans for those spots sorted. Any ideas or abuse welcome.  :blink:

unfortunately i haven't been to those hiroshima and kanazawa. what you could do though is have a search on any specific brands youre looking for and see if they have shops in the area. from there you'll work your way through other brands.

Yeah, that's a good plan, that's how I got sorted for Kyoto and Tokyo on my first trip. Strike Gold don't seem to list their domestic stockists any more (just online), will have a look at the other usual suspects.

I spent a year in Kanazawa around 7 years ago. Wasn't crazy into denim at the time, so can't comment on that, but I do remember that on Tatemachi walking street (a cobblestone street that juts out from the main drag next to the McDonalds downtown) there are a number of vintage and clothing shops. Not much help, I know. If you want food recommendations I have plenty of those though!

I spent a year in Kanazawa around 7 years ago. Wasn't crazy into denim at the time, so can't comment on that, but I do remember that on Tatemachi walking street (a cobblestone street that juts out from the main drag next to the McDonalds downtown) there are a number of vintage and clothing shops. Not much help, I know. If you want food recommendations I have plenty of those though!

Awesome, thanks man...food recommendations would be gratefully received

Randomly I know that Shinichi Haraki (the founder of Iron Heart) was born in Hiroshima...... not sure how this helps you though  :unsure:

Yebbut...you were going to mail me some addresses dude

EVO update:

D6EF8F1B-D9E7-45E8-9316-5BA06CEE41AC_zps

1C2D7643-303A-435E-B6F7-8E6DC16522FF_zps

23B0CA85-DDF9-481D-8D24-4517EF27958D_zps

A41F5355-F7D7-468A-9498-28F37CB06FEB_zps

8D526049-D3C1-44D6-9FA7-732E402CFD3F_zps

Crotch repair

F6E0BEBA-2ED7-4E55-ACCF-43D5859F4CC4_zps

Scenery shot - Our High Level Bridge in the Snow

B0FD740D-4F50-4FE4-BFCA-F793BB2874F6_zps

So I will post more later.  I had asked the seamstress to use some Ande Whall denim I had and put the denim inside to inside (light to light).  So cuffing the jeans now will produce fading on both sides.  In my head it sounded neat?  Will see.

So it is later.  Here are some more update pics.  I treated my patch with Beeswax and was sort of happy with the result.  After the 3rd soak before sending them to the seamstress I felt it needed something more than Obenaufs.  I had been playing around with a heat gun, beeswax and some other leather, trying to see if I could make something similar to leather armor but without the vats of chemical emulsifiers.  Was rather labor intensive as too much heat will damage the leather and not enough doesn't melt the wax.  Anyways here is the result.

3E723269-A05B-4CF6-BDBB-2DB6CB334569_zps

Here are some pics of the damage cuffing was causing.  Repair stitching visible

45BBBAD8-8B79-4996-94D8-A541650ACD3B_zps

9D643DA7-BEE5-41D1-AF73-ECBFA4A4F2F1_zps

And finally the inside to inside patch showing at the bottom of the cuff.  Figure it will protect the denim from further wear and fade when rubbing against boots etc. 

BED22990-E174-41B6-900D-85250B3DA192_zps

Yebbut...you were going to mail me some addresses dude

And then I started drinking...... Addresses will be with you very shortly dude.

Challenge 5 update...

While I am from Philadelphia, PA...I currently live in the middle of nowhere Ohio. The prison where Shawshank Redemption was filmed is like 25 mins away from me. The girlfriend and I went to a murder mystery dinner there....I made a guess who the murderer was and won a few items...one being this patch....the girlfriend is in front of the prison.

P1020051_zps21475a30.jpg

P1020042_zps5cbff561.jpg

Edited by JHC76

Have not been wearing my jeans for a while now, they wasn't ready from repair in time before I left to Florida, but it didn't matter because it was way too hot to wear them there anyway. But I got them today, now we'll just see if I dare to throw them in the washer!

IMG_3654_zps8269fe61.jpg?t=1395785427

Great patina on them!!

So I will post more later.  I had asked the seamstress to use some Ande Whall denim I had and put the denim inside to inside (light to light).  So cuffing the jeans now will produce fading on both sides.  In my head it sounded neat?  Will see.

Impressing denim evos seen here as a sample from thisamazing contest!!!

I'll try to be there at B&B next July in Berlin

on this note - anyone else going to Berlin around Bread&Butter?

12 months (soon) - No wash

Just a few days now until i've worn these 365 days, just took a few pics now before I leave them for repair and as soon as a get them back they'll get their first wash. You can really see the patina on the thighs now.

8526c2ca-3dca-4a64-bba7-a205abc9692b_zps

This is just one hardcore dry denim evolution I have seen here, I'm wondering, if there is anybody is planning to go this very seldom seen dry way until to the real end,....

As a judge I have been invisible behind the contest to not disturb you too much. Now tomorrow is half time of the contest..

I just will post some pics from my out of the contest MBB 25 oz jeans tomorrow.

And as a little goodie I'll combine my updates with a little half way contest price

The first person, who can answer me, why my ????? have a ?????   ???? somewhere in the ?????? , I'll pay immediately a little price of US 200. To pay the money I just need the confirmation from Megatron that you're still in the contest and you have to send me your payp acc.

I'll  try my best to give everybody a chance to answer this question.

So I decided that I'll post my full contest question tomorrow at 8 pm middle europe daylight saving time that's 24 hours from now

Do't try to answer the question before. You can't have a clue about my question. Good luck tomorrow.

is this fill in the blank or answering the question its self, also that is extremely nice of you like Mega said.

Edited by FLDenim211

Just a little teaser pic for my bigger update of my 25 oz out of contest IH jeans. Can't wait to do my little question tomorrow. I can only say, that it will have to do something with the cuffs of my jeans!

But just take it easy and relax, You still have plenty of time until the question will be completed in 21 hours

ha ha ha

And don't forget: Only people who are in the contest will have a chance of winning this price. This has to be confirmed by Mega

2014-03-31IH-25oz-cuff-inside.JPG

Thanks for the word Ruedi! But a disappointment for you is that I've made my first wash :)

Yes, so first wash after 365 days of wear, did a quick cold machine wash and I'm really happy with the result. They shrank 2 inches in the waist, witch isn't really a surprise since they are two sizes too small in the waist. But they stretched out fast again though. 

Since I was about to wash them I could at least get them even dirtier so I wore them while I was sanding a lot of polyester.

Before wash:

lOkPkAv.jpg?1

hIaeM1P.jpg?1

qaYTNxD.jpg?1

zVnOALU.jpg?1

GKOS6qC.jpg?2

i8FkOTE.jpg

The light disappeared when I was about to picture the back and fit pics after wash, I'll get them tomorrow.

After Wash:

YyDrGUo.jpg?1

i79pj3c.jpg

Edited by Slowitchu

Thanks for the word Ruedi! But a disappointment for you is that I've made my first wash :)

Yes, so first wash after 365 days of wear, did a quick cold machine wash and I'm really happy with the result. They shrank 2 inches in the waist, witch isn't really a surprise since they are two sizes too small in the waist. But they stretched out fast again though. 

Since I was about to wash them I could at least get them even dirtier so I wore them while I was sanding a lot of polyester.

Wow, amazing update. I love the strong patina on your before wash pic but the outcome is also very nice. Keep go rock them hard

Ok, challenge 5!  Instead of introducing my country, I'm introducing my state of Utah, beyond all of the mountains that I normally show!  My old college roommate just visited and we had a lot of fun in Salt Lake and Park City.

Local Beers that we consumed in a couple days (bonus jawnz + skis + dog in the back).  All very strong (up to 11.9%), and all 22 oz except the Devastator:

13554545253_b062ce7625_c.jpg

Wasatch Devastator Doppelock x 2 (good, not great)

Epic Smoked and Oaked (incredible)

Epic Spiral Jetty IPA (not an IPA fan myself, but most people like it)

Epic Sour Apple Saison (first half was good, then got overwhelmed by hops)

Epic Doubleskull Doppelbock (great)

Epic Midmountain Mild Ale (haven't had yet)

Epic Copper Cone Pale Ale (haven't had yet)

Epic Sage Saison (incredible, awesome spices)

Epic Rio's Rompin Rye (incredible)

Epic Brainless Raspberries (incredible)

Uinta Tinder Rauschbier (the best of the bunch.  Holy crap.)

13554427355_5850fd35d3_c.jpg

Jawnz + dog + state capital

13554545733_5aba07d7cd_c.jpg

Dog + Water near state capital

13554545073_045faa9735_c.jpg

Rather underwhelming downtown + dog + jawnz + still on my phone

13554764094_051a9feae6_b.jpg

Capital again

13554765884_0daed1b5da_c.jpg

My neighborhood (the avenues)

13554767274_68612baa4c_c.jpg

Still on my cell phone (I think I was on every single photo taken here... hah...)

Started with alcohol, will finish with alcohol:

13554546743_d8ac4ba88b_c.jpg

Some whiskeys we sampled at High West in Park City.

Silver, Double Rye, Son of Bourye, Campfire.  All good, but Campfire was the best.

Edited by cander49