Behind the Swoosh - NIKE SWEATSHOPS

harkeemthedream

are these people being held against their will or...? and is it Nike's fault for giving them a job? no matter how shitty the conditions, aren't they free to make that choice for themselves? if not then i can see your point.

I won't pretend to understand third world economics, employment opportunities, etc. but surely you can understand that this in an over-simplification.

You can. Choose not to purchase goods made in unethical conditions. Nike will not learn its lesson until it feels it financially, and that will not happen if people continue to purchase their goods while believing that how their product is made is a sustainable business model. Each exploitation of countries that have lagged behind in modernization or have population problems can only last so long, and the presence of companies like Nike do not assist these countries in any great way.

It takes time and research to find companies that operate within ethical boundaries but such an environment creates similar products as well as jobs that allow people to support a family and have some left over if they live within their means. Better to create a product within your country's borders that is of a quality worth exporting. This method of production builds generational loyalties. Look at American Auto companies and the generations of ownership (especially in the Midwest), shoe companies like Allen Edmonds and Alden, and clothing/bag makers like Filson, Outlier, and Goruck.

no, no one makes dunks in the us. or jordans.

i know i can get the shit you listed... i own a ton of made in the us shit... but not nikes.

allen edmonds are cool, but you cant skate in em. same with red wings and alden.

anyways, im wearing made in the usa new balance right now.

i know i can get the shit you listed... i own a ton of made in the us shit... but not nikes.

allen edmonds are cool, but you cant skate in em. same with red wings and alden.

new balance makes skate shoes now ha

not sure if they will be made in their new england factory though

i hope that somewhere.... some nike employee reads this thread... and tells their boss to tell their boss to tell his boss that there is real demand for nike shoes made in the usa and that making shoes in the usa isn't some calculated trade-off. "heritage" brands have been making bank these past years, though a lot of it is slick marketing b.s. and "blogger" circlejerk

really though they could sell "made in usa" jordans for $1000 and people would still buy that shit up

Edited by Vampyrvargfesten

That makes sense to me. Its just too bad that no one with a head on their shoulders seem to start up new casual shoe brands that produce within the USA. But, of course, the casual/lifestyle audience (sneakerheads) are notoriously fickle. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense from the business side of things that there are so few companies that produce casual shoes in the USA. They are never guaranteed a market, with a few exceptions. I think Jordan should have produced its retros in America (the silhouettes were already very popular; materials and construction made the original Jordan a classic), and I think NSW could definitely try go get in on a slice of the American produced pie.

Fuck. I got up on my ethically produced/company loyalty tip only to have an epiphany that shoe customers are the hardest customers to hold on to. Designing shoes is an awful business the more I think about it. Tinker Hatfield is the only shoe designer I can think of that is held in esteem, and certainly the only shoe designer whose name I know. Jordan should have produced its retros in America, and I think NSW could definitely try go get in on a slice of the American produced pie.

I myself purchase more shoes than I should, and do not buy loyally from any company. Since I have been a student, there have been no good options for casual shoes that would allow me to walk long distances comfortably, are made in America, and maintain aesthetic appeal.