DenimProject - The Deviants 2013 Contest

drapygo

^ironheartfan123, think of Taichi-san's goods as less of a "brand", and more of a denimhead and group of friends that decided to try their hand at this whole repro game (about 7 years ago on a forum ala sufu). They do things on a lower production run and aren't a gigantic manufacturer; just people who want to make the most accurate repro as possible and that's ultimately what the contest is about, supporting Taichi-san and Denim Project and joining in on the fun! Please contact drapygo for being added to the list, more details will be released as things solidify.

Hope I'm not spamming the thread here.... ;)

So we all know there are tons of variations within Levi models even of the same era due to differences in factories, what was on hand and what changes they were aware of (perhaps Paul T can add to this?). No one knows for sure (other than Yawara Miura and Taichi-san's team) what 1946 model this pair will be based on so far, but I've been having some fun speculating what will be in store for us. "Green Stamp" is also a phrase I hadn't heard about before; is anyone able to elaborate or is this possibly knowledge specific to the Japanese crowd? Regardless, here are some things to think about...

(the following are courtesy of Marvin's)

WWII style hidden rivets:

dp3235.jpg

single sided tab:

dp3233.jpg

v-stich at sharper angle: doesn't "loop" through top button

dp7213.jpg

and here too:

dp11733.jpg

All of these details seem standard throughout the 1946 pairs I've seen:

http://www.marvins-j...323/dp-323.html

http://www.marvins-j...18)/dp-1173.htm

http://www.marvins-j...721/dp-721.html

But what's with the white tab on the second one? And what about these intriguing details Taichi-san sent to me during my conversations with him?

the infamous "green stamp" (is it actually green, or just an effect of the ink aging?):

8308883467_feb8c4a145_z.jpg

and what's this?!

8309933134_b6b8deddc6_z.jpg

Your guess is as good as mine, but it'll be interesting to see what direction this project will take!

Edited by aho

As a denimhead, I am pretty ignorant about the history of Levi's (and Lee's). When I was getting into denim on SuFu (and probably still now), all of the hype was towards the Japanese brands - repro or not. I wouldn't really consider any of the denim I own as true repros, and I had never really considered getting a pair of LVC 1947 501's. I have fancied a pair of Sugar Cane 1947's, especially the older pairs with arc's and tabs.

^Thanks aho for the summary of the vintage details on these jeans. I think I shall have a read of the LVC thread while this contest shapes up to get educated about some Levi's history.

I'm curious to hear more about the denim for these jeans. I'm assuming the denim will be vintage correct as well, i.e. lighter, lower contrast, less hairy than say, Flat Head, Eternal denim.

Are there any details about the new fabric for this lot of jeans? Is the "new edition" shown on the Denim Project site the denim to be used for the jeans?

^It's definitely a fascinating subject and to think of why one change was made one year and why it was considered standard another is even more convoluted. The denim community has made a good effort to generalize these standard set "years", but as we all know change is more fluid and constant and certainly all the originals detailed on Marvin's proves variations abound.

Regarding the "new edition" shown on the Denim Project site, that is actually the current version of the D00XX. Please know that ours will be new denim (custom ordered by Taichi to match his specs via an Okayama mill, I believe) and tweaked details (think thread, buttons, silhouette etc.) all of which is yet to be relayed to us soon by drapygo.

As far as that "white tab" model in my previous post, I think I found the answer on another pair...

dp5395.jpg

the infamous "green stamp" (is it actually green, or just an effect of the ink aging?):

8308883467_feb8c4a145_z.jpg

hope i'm not disrupting the thread :)

that is actually an effect of the ink aging, i guess it is most commonly seen on old tattoos... the ink contains a metallic compound which will actually 'stain' the leather permanently while the rest fades/flakes off

thanks for holding this and including me in drapygo and aho, wouldn't have realised the existence of this thread otherwise... looking forward to seeing things happen especially so since we haven't had a particularly good repro brand contest in a while.

if anything i personally would like to keep customisations as minimal as possible since i like what i see in devis and their attention to detail. anything extra would probably seem "wrong"...

great pool of contestants btw, some old faces i haven't seen around the forum for a while.

as I'm a 34 in nearly everything I'm fine :D 90cm post wash is quite big though. The thighs measurements look also rather big although the fit pics shown in the first post are just great!

Contest details look more and more intriguing!

@BOF: tbh, those straight cuts would look better on you than bootcuts ;)

edit: about the timelines. Ordering in January also means paying in January?

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

I assume we will get them raw, not one-wash?

That way i will have more control over the shrinkage since i'm considering going with a 32, the 34 post wash measurements do look rather big indeed, ideally i would have needed a 33 waist in these i think.

Does Devi's offer a hemming service btw, or do those who want that need to take care of it after receival?

I'm really liking the attention to detail being put into these jeans, green stamp will look very nice imo.

The double red tab detail on the vintage pair Aho posted looks very interesting.

good to read all the new info!

sizing does seem rather generous; i usually take a size 29 but according to the sizing chart the size 28 will still measure larger after a wash. I do hope the hemming service will be available (and possibly free of charge?)

payment in march leaves me some time to get the funds organised to pay for them (and devote myself another 3 months fulltime to my ooe's. After that it will be rotating time