1933 501s 555

airfrogusmc

Nice ...In that state they look so much heavier than the LVC 03 edition 33's I have.

One of these days I'll post pics of them ... they've had a lot of wear and after an intial dry clean at 9 or so months it almost feels like I've left it too long to give them a full wash ... maybe I should find a mine shaft and bury them somewhere ...

Not yet ... no real camera access and like I say I just keep on drawing out when I'm going to wash them. Got a nice pair of 37's going the same way.

Both pairs need repairs done where I've cuffed them and they've worn through. I'm not worried as it'll only add character, but I'm not sure whether to do it before or after washing.

Hey Airfrog! those jeans used to be mine. Glad you're enjoying them, they were much too big for me or I wouldn't have sold them. I really like the detailing on the pre 40's cuts, but for some reason they never fit me right and and end up residing in the back of the cupboard.

Yeah, they're from one of LVC's better periods. I have some from later collections that really haven't worn at all well.

My problem with LVC is their lack of attention to detail. They consistently use the wrong type of rivets for the back pocket. They use the wrong material for their leather patches -cowhide rather than deerhide. They miss obvious things such as the off-set belt loop on 55 501's, LVC Japan get this right as do most of the Japanese makers.

Then there's the mystery of the '47 cut, one would assume that it should be similar to a '55 but with a straighter leg, instead it resembles a '66 but with a straight leg.

I've also found the quality of the denim to be really inconsistent from season to season and have had terrible '47s that where so stretchy they felt as if they had lycra content. In contrast some of the early 555 Valencia made items have had fantastic tightly woven denim that develops an outstanding silky sheen with wear.

Yeah I search out the 555 stuff. I have a pair of 20s 201s 555 that are really nice. Also a couple of pairs of 37 201s redline from real early LVC. The denim is just incredible on those.

Did you catch the 1886s I just scored?

http://www.superfuture.com/city/supertalk/showthread.php?t=14376

They are awesome. Some of the best LVCs I've seen in recent offerings.

I've also wondered how acurate LVCs 1947 cut is. I have a friend that has some 40s and 50s originals some still with tags (larger budget than I've got) not a pair of 47s but they all have full cuts all around the 47s. Makes me wonder why Levis would trim up their cut for just one year. The 47s are probably my least favorite of all the LVCs.

I have a pair of 37 501s from a few years ago and they haven't been worn nears as much as the 201s I jave and they have faded allot more than the 201s from 97. That denim on those 37 201s is really nice. Heavy and very dark and they really stay that way.

One thing that's bizarre in retrospect is that back in 2000, Cinch would regularly sell off itesm like deadstock 33s at half price! I had a couple of pairs I sold on eBay at the end this spring cause I needed a nice watch. I kept my 2000 201s, which are still my favourite classic LVC. As has been mentioned before, they made a REAL mess of those when they reissued them in the spring.

When I have time, or when I do another denim project, I'm hoping to interview the LVC pattern-maker, she's in Belgium, to find the rationale for the cut. One thing that's always been significat about the 47 though is not the cut itself - it's the sizing. They're simply made smaller than the other, with a waist that's anything up to 2 inches slimmer than, say, a 1933.

The denim on the earlier 33 reissues is good, has a slight sheen. I don't think Cone have particularly reduced the quality for recent runs, I suspect it's random from one year to the next. That's the problem with 50-year old looms, I guess.

501bum.jpg

And this is how the tags should look...

501tags.jpg

When they first issued the '47s the staff in Cinch told me to size up because they came in so small. My theory is that it was a mistake, much like last seasons coming in with too long legs, but the cut proved popular so they kept them as is. Maybe to differentiate them from '44s or '55s.

If you watch period films, a good example being John Wayne in Three Godfathers which dates from 1948 you can see how Levis from the period are supposed to fit. To me they look fitted around the waist and hips but with a medium width stovepipe leg. Certainly not as tight as the LVCs. I think Sugar Cane's 47 is probably a more accurate cut.

I bought a pair of 1947 501xx yesterday, but had to return them because of quality issues. First I noticed, that they were stitched badly ( loose thread at the crotch seam, crooked stitching at the coin pocket double stitch), which would not have mattered to me, as I got 5% off price for that, and crooked stitching kind of makes them unique.

But then I noticed something I have never seen happening on another pair of jeans before: The left front pocket rivet came off just as I unpacked them!!!

Anyone else had quality issues???

I returned mine and I'm hesitating about getting another pair of LVCs now.

I bought a pair of 1947 501xx yesterday, but had to return them because of quality issues. First I noticed, that they were stitched badly ( loose thread at the crotch seam, crooked stitching at the coin pocket double stitch), which would not have mattered to me, as I got 5% off price for that, and crooked stitching kind of makes them unique.

But then I noticed something I have never seen happening on another pair of jeans before: The left front pocket rivet came off just as I unpacked them!!!

Anyone else had quality issues???

I returned mine and I'm hesitating about getting another pair of LVCs now.

Hi all, another newb here, but have been lurking for a while. Been a Levis wearer for many years and a fan of the LVC range. However the sizing issues with the 47s and 55s length have rather spoiled it recently. The staff in Cinch are incredibly patient in dealing with these size problems, just imagine trying to explain all this to customers who are not familiar with the 'shrink to fit' concept either. Anyway I agree with Will, the SC 1947 is the best 'Levi' repro that I've found, just got a pair and they are perfect in fit and quality.:)