Bangkok+Manila

Cynlix

Hey guys, I'm going to be flying to bangkok sat. and needed some quick info on the best area to stay in the city. Any recomendations on hotels? Cost dosen't matter when it comes to hotels. Someone close to everything (mostly shopping). I'm only going to be there for a few days before shipping out to Manila, so I want to take advantage of the little time there.

Also, what are some good stores in Bangkok/Manila. Any cool places to see/shop? I've already got APC and Viktor jeans on my check list in Manila.

Thanks for the help!

Well, if you want the best counterfeit item shopping/craziest nightlife then Patpong is your place.....I always stay there whilst in Bangkok.........unfortunately alot of the hotels cater almost exclusively to gay men bringing in their young Thai hooker boyfriends.

Wow. Definite monger places.

As far as accomodation goes, try any of the hotels in the Sukhumvit Area, which is pretty central to the bigger department stores and go go bars. Some of these places might charge joiner fees so just inquire prior to the booking if thats your thing.

Not much to buy in Bangkok though as premium good are quite expensive and tons of knock off goods roaming the streets - I always seem to notice a lot of fake Diesel and North Face bags.

Other than that the food is fucking great and the people are really nice! Should you want to discover the nightlife, make sure you try the bars on Soi 8 and avoid them ladyboys!

There is a massive market which has a lot of stuff (most of it useless to be quite honest, but interesting nevertheless)...can't recall the exact name at the moment but it truly is massive. I actually got lost and I'm pretty sure I only saw approx 1/3 of it before my friend's constant complaints about the heat got to me and I gave up and went back to the city. It takes about 20 min. by train/tram thingy to get there from the city.

I should note that there are a number of other markets closer to the city which have essentially the same product but if you want the biggest and are looking for a truly unique object, that's the one to go for. When I recall the name I'll post it here.

As for accomodation, I found Bangkok to be super cheap as opposed to other major cities. As you mentioned money is no object, if you're staying with one or more people you can pretty much take your pick of the hotels. I'm pretty sure you could get a really top range hotel for about AUD$125-150 per person...probably less. The hotel I stayed in was one of/if not the tallest in Bangkok and I'm pretty sure it set me back less than AUD$100 per night. Go to any travel agent and pick up a brochure...there should be more than enough options in there.