Post Your Leather Creations.

Lotus Cowboy

I made a few of those standard card wallets that I've seen around for some family and friends. They're cut from a nice roll of cognac Dublin I picked up from Maverick Leather over in California.

tumblr_mjel366nC81s0yncjo1_1280.jpg

This is very nice. What type of thread do you use if you don't mind my asking?

This is very nice. What type of thread do you use if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks

It's Maine Thread Co. waxed .035" polyester. Mocha and Denim, if I recall correctly.

These two were made with the next size down: the .030". I'm still not sure which I prefer.

tumblr_mik3fnwixe1s0yncjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by EricIsaiah

Love this. Did you have a hard time with the fabric/leather combo at the edges?

Thanks! The fabric is glued to the leather and the edges are trimmed flush. Ideally there would be some type of edging to protect the fabric from fraying, but I'm not that good! Since the owner of the case knows where at least 3 razor-sharp "knives" are at all times the frayed edges can simply be trimmed when/if they happen!

Some of the stuff in this thread is amazing. I want to make a shaving bag myself. As a complete noob - where should I start off? any good websites?

I am in the UK and assume that I can get plenty of nice leathers here?

There's plenty of places to get leather. You're only problem is that there is usually a minimum order of 15 sqft. You could make stuff to sell though...

Jim n

Goods Japan is a cool web site. The books they offer are really cool for inspiration and adding to your personal library but they don't contain too many patterns. They have great pictures! If you are a visual learner they could really help you out. If your the kind of learner that likes to read and look at pictures(unless you read japanese) I would say look for a book in your own language. I really like the books though...they are pretty cool.

The japanese books are a great way to learn about a different perspective. The japanese have their own style of doing things that are not covered in most of the english books. Knowing the different styles help you appreciate why certain things are done the way they are done which I feel helps you develop your own style of leather crafting.

Some simple stuff done recently

A lightweight, skinny belt for my sister

skinnybelt_zps1b00d7e2.jpg

And a bike chain inspired bracelet

bikechainbracelet-1_zpsbf8e7f2a.jpg

I have one of the Japanese Leathercraft books and it is great if you are a visual learner (unless you can read it). I think its great to examine other people's processes and possible work parts into your own. They dont come with patterns but they do give you a breakdown of what pieces are in a project and their sizes in mm.

Question for anyone who has read those books -- Do you know what the leather conditioner they always apply in the beginning is?

Edited by howler

I have one of the Japanese Leathercraft books and it is great if you are a visual learner (unless you can read it). I think its great to examine other people's processes and possible work parts into your own. They dont come with patterns but they do give you a breakdown of what pieces are in a project and their sizes in mm.

Question for anyone who has read those books -- Do you know what the leather conditioner they always apply in the beginning is?

Are you talking about what they put on the flesh side and then rub with the glass burnisher? Isn't that gum tragacanth to smooth the texture of the flesh?

Are you talking about what they put on the flesh side and then rub with the glass burnisher? Isn't that gum tragacanth to smooth the texture of the flesh?

Ive seen them do that but if I remember correctly after they cut their pieces they coat the grain side with some goopy looking conditioner that doesnt look like anything Ive seen before. I could be completely wrong though and it actually is gum trag on the flesh side.

Lazy - really nice work as usual.

My short lanyard wallet obsession continues. Made this one for a buddy of mine that wanted black pockets and matching lanyard binding detail.

Friday_and_River_Custom_Slim_wallet_Lanyard__Closed.jpg

Friday_and_River_Custom_Slim_wallet_Lanyard_Open.jpg

love your work. awesome stuff.

@jbanger, it's 3-4oz outside and then 3 layers of 2-3oz, so not particularly thin, but I'd rather go thick and durable.

@JanC, It's usually around 7-8mm, but it can vary depending on the thickness of the leather you're working with, so I prefer to cut the inside piece the same size as the outside, then mock it up and trim accordingly.

Edited by hollowsleather