Post Your Leather Creations.

Lotus Cowboy

Thanks, and yeah, haha. I like how it looks kind of off center...

Yeah, that's a different look, and cool. I like the way that your stitching looks. Can I ask...what tools are you using to create your holes, and what kind of thread are you using? I've been trying different combinations trying to find the results that I like.

Yeah, that's a different look, and cool. I like the way that your stitching looks. Can I ask...what tools are you using to create your holes, and what kind of thread are you using? I've been trying different combinations trying to find the results that I like.

I use a 2.5mm pricking iron from Craftsha Japan and artificial sinew that I split and spun.

Hi folks. I've been following this thread since the beginning (and read through the old one) and I have been so inspired by all the amazing leather artisans here. I'm still a beginner at leather work. Here are pics of my newest creation, a female wallet. Measurements folded up: Ca. 6 x 9,5 cm.

8485951059_8435b1ca2e.jpg

8485952197_2690672f47.jpg

8486576868_a6a159bccc.jpg

Edited by latterdue

I use a 2.5mm pricking iron from Craftsha Japan and artificial sinew that I split and spun.

Just posted a pricking iron basics on our blog for anyone interested in seeing a step by step. There's of course a lot more to it in terms of fine tuning than what we covered but this will hopefully get you through basic use and avoid dulling the tool teeth.

Using Pricking Irons

Dear all I've been using several artificial cow tendon, and Couldn't decide which one is actually better, is there any suggestion where did I could find better supplier for artificial cow tendon?...

Thanks in advance

Hey Guys,

I made few business card cases recently and I wanted to post them. They hold up to 35 business cards and are held together with 4 rivets. The 1st was a prototype made from some cool “quilted†leather I have and the last 2 are the “Natehate Silver/Gold Packâ€. I made these for him and his boss, with the idea that he gets the silver and his boss gets the gold! Anyway, here they are…

5AEE93D0-E974-4984-B4F9-2983D9A6E330-3264-0000038E2BDD551F_zps58e5b2b9.jpg

74254041-A061-4ED8-BBFF-6CFA7B8E741B-3264-0000038E27455312_zps667310ba.jpg

65D3B5BB-955D-4933-B29F-C574692F863C-3264-0000038E1D85735B_zpsa5361a48.jpg

0BF17EA5-3902-45CF-BAB0-992128B691DD-3264-0000038E180C2300_zps4e42d61d.jpg

FE88086A-E443-4489-8AD0-1F16194BAA6A-7636-000007B4B2419F57_zps18ad2ed5.jpg

B5FFADF2-A5F6-4441-B607-30EFE2BE8F78-7636-000007B4AD498F62_zpsa1ad8c2b.jpg

1DD8BE2D-F289-45DE-A97B-BB551F16F168-7636-000007B4A7F31D8B_zps90a43ec9.jpg

Just posted a pricking iron basics on our blog for anyone interested in seeing a step by step. There's of course a lot more to it in terms of fine tuning than what we covered but this will hopefully get you through basic use and avoid dulling the tool teeth.

Using Pricking Irons

Hey Sean,

That's a nice write up. That's how pricking irons should be used. However, there is an error in your write up. You mentioned that the pricking iron is also referred to as the pinking irons. Pinking irons are actually different tools. They are used to decorate leather by cutting different shapes into the leather.

If you haven't purchased the "Dictionary of Leather-working Tools, c.1700-1950" by R.A. Salaman, I highly recommend it. That book is suited for leather workers like yourself and I. Most tools in there are from English makers, but it also mentions French and American tool makers as well.

Also, if you want to see some pinking irons for sale, check out Bruce Johnson Leather. He's probably the most well known reseller of vintage leather tools. I always check there for Blanchard, Dixon, Barnsley, or Mayer-Flamery tools.

You mentioned that the pricking iron is also referred to as the pinking irons. Pinking irons are actually different tools. They are used to decorate leather by cutting different shapes into the leather.

Thanks!! I'll edit the post to make the correction. Will also check out that book too, sounds interesting.

Up until now I've been working mostly with veg tan. I'm doing some work right now with Chromexcel for the first time. I'm curious if any of you have suggestions for burnishing Chromexcel...or any general advice for working with this type of leather? Thanks!

Up until now I've been working mostly with veg tan. I'm doing some work right now with Chromexcel for the first time. I'm curious if any of you have suggestions for burnishing Chromexcel...or any general advice for working with this type of leather? Thanks!

General advice. Chromexcel scratches very easily so watch awl placement and fingernails. Burnishing is mostly the same just takes more patience. Ive had great luck burnishing with wood instead of plastic bone folder or canvas.

Edited by howler

General advice. Chromexcel scratches very easily so watch awl placement and fingernails. Burnishing is mostly the same just takes more patience. Ive had great luck burnishing with wood instead of plastic bone folder or canvas.

Thanks for the response, Howler. I have some natural chromexcel and plan to make a purse for my wife. She's been asking me to make one for her for a while. I'll do a little test with a cocobolo burnisher and see how that turns out. Thank you!

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Loving all stuff posted, awesome stuff!

I have a quick question, I'm sure some of you guys can help me out.

When making wallet inside pockets, do you stack the leather pieces atop of each other, or are they cut to fit next to each other down the side seam to reduce bulkiness...??

Sorry dudes, complete rookie in this game.

Cheers.

I came up with this idea to make the wallet with minimum seams. But then, when I was browsing online, someone else already made it....

You'll never not run into that. It also sucks needing to check every relevant maker's site before placing a hardware order, or arbitrarily ordering something else just to avoid stepping on toes. But in the same way, it's also relieving. You don't need to be original, you're entering something beyond your own construct of "originality," frees you to focus on craft, not senseless "innovation."