Post Your Leather Creations.

Lotus Cowboy

I'm normally working with 3-4oz leather, so it's still possible to punch holes through 2 layers of leather :)

If it's too thick, you can punch the holes separately. 

Thanks. I think I just need more practice to get it as clean as most of you guys.

Here it is next to a card holder I made a while back:

tumblr_n1p3rh3h4K1ttbmtzo1_500.jpg

Noob question: How are you guys terminating the stitching? I'm simply trimming then burning, but surely there's a cleaner way?

Edit: Nevermind. Found some answers on Leatherworker.

Edited by JanC

On wallets, are you guys punching holes straight through the 2-3 layers of leather?

If it's thin enough, I'll just use pricking irons to go all the way through. But most of the time, I mark my holes with pricking irons and I awl each hole individually. If you've ever looked at the Al Stohlman guide to hand stitching, I follow that pretty staunchly. 

Thanks for the tips.

On another note- Has anyone tried Joseph Dixon pricking irons? Would love Vergez Blanchard, but $$$$

I've tried J.Dixon pricking irons. It's a 1/2" 8spi iron.

Just like you, I opted for J.Dixon pricking irons because Blanchard's are just too expensive. But guess what, even the J.Dixon pricking irons (supposedly cheaper but still a lot of money spent), is left somewhere at the bottom of my tool box. I've used it once or twice, and found that the slits that the tool makes is too broad for my liking using 18/3 linen threads.

I've gone back to the Japanese diamond pricking irons (~1.5mm between prongs, ~3mm per stitch) ever since. And it's way much cheaper than J.Dixon's.

I don't have any experience with Blanchard's though. From what I've read so far, the slits that Blanchard makes are supposed to be smaller and more suitable for 18/3 or even 25/3 threads. I've seen it somewhere lying around in one of the photos posted here. Maybe Nicholas Hollow or Jacques. I suppose they can provide a better comparison between J.Dixon and Blanchard.

Thanks for the tips.

On another note- Has anyone tried Joseph Dixon pricking irons? Would love Vergez Blanchard, but $$$$

I own both. 

Dixon's are more suitable for lacing. I don't lace shit. Complete waste of money. The tooth size is just way too wide.

Blanchard tools in general are pretty expensive, but their pricking irons have been, IMO, my best investment. The tooth size is pretty small. Definitely recommend dropping the money. 

I own both. 

Dixon's are more suitable for lacing. I don't lace shit. Complete waste of money. The tooth size is just way too wide.

Blanchard tools in general are pretty expensive, but their pricking irons have been, IMO, my best investment. The tooth size is pretty small. Definitely recommend dropping the money. 

Agreed. I have bought 3 items from Dixon and I am not using any of them at all. They're a bit too "crude" to use for small leather items. Either that or it's just me not knowing what I bought at the first place.

I've got a round knife, a diamond awl, and a pricking iron from Dixon. I've wasted money on those. It's just not suitable for the things I'm working on now. 

However, I'm not giving up on the pricking iron yet. I'm toying with the idea of narrowing down the size of the teeth manually. Either I spoil it in the process, or leave it unused; both are equally wasteful. At least if I try to narrow it down, I might have a chance to make it work the way I want it.

Let's just see when I'll really do it. 

Edit: to put into context it was bad judgement on my part, and not a problem with the tools itself :)

Edited by Leather/Denim

I've tried J.Dixon pricking irons. It's a 1/2" 8spi iron.

Just like you, I opted for J.Dixon pricking irons because Blanchard's are just too expensive. But guess what, even the J.Dixon pricking irons (supposedly cheaper but still a lot of money spent), is left somewhere at the bottom of my tool box. I've used it once or twice, and found that the slits that the tool makes is too broad for my liking using 18/3 linen threads.

I've gone back to the Japanese diamond pricking irons (~1.5mm between prongs, ~3mm per stitch) ever since. And it's way much cheaper than J.Dixon's.

I don't have any experience with Blanchard's though. From what I've read so far, the slits that Blanchard makes are supposed to be smaller and more suitable for 18/3 or even 25/3 threads. I've seen it somewhere lying around in one of the photos posted here. Maybe Nicholas Hollow or Jacques. I suppose they can provide a better comparison between J.Dixon and Blanchard.

Ive never used the Dixon's but have heard from multiple people that the holes they leave can be chunky. I scoffed at the Blanchard prices at first but after using them for a while now I could never go back to anything else. They are truly beautiful tools.

I'm a wrench by trade and only buy Snap-on tools (very expensive compared to other brands) for work.  So when i got into leather work i went for the 'best' tools i could find, Vergez Blanchard.

Although i have not used JD tools yet, I cant imagine using anything other than my VB stuff. The fact that they are forged and finished by hand really appeals to me.

my current irons are 9 tpi/spi with plans to exand to 7 and 12 eventully

If some of the finest leather houses are using VB, there must be a reason for it.

I'm a wrench by trade and only buy Snap-on tools (very expensive compared to other brands) for work.  So when i got into leather work i went for the 'best' tools i could find, Vergez Blanchard.

Although i have not used JD tools yet, I cant imagine using anything other than my VB stuff. The fact that they are forged and finished by hand really appeals to me.

my current irons are 9 tpi/spi with plans to exand to 7 and 12 eventully

If some of the finest leather houses are using VB, there must be a reason for it.

I certainly get that, but if there was an alternative that does 80% of what Blanchard does at 50% of the cost, then that's what I'm after. 

That said, I'm just about convinced with buying Blanchard.

• 3 weeks later...

Horween Chromexcel Burgundy Outer with a Veg tan inner. 

Ordered the Chromexcel a long while ago but wanted to wait till I got better till I used it.

Keeping this one for myself, very pleased, C&C welcome. 

13413043875_41864652af_z.jpg13413146025_5453bcc16b_z.jpg13413491734_45620bd669_z.jpg13413113765_85d4a4cbce_z.jpg

Horween Chromexcel Burgundy Outer with a Veg tan inner. 

Ordered the Chromexcel a long while ago but wanted to wait till I got better till I used it.

Keeping this one for myself, very pleased, C&C welcome. 

13413043875_41864652af_z.jpg13413146025_5453bcc16b_z.jpg13413491734_45620bd669_z.jpg13413113765_85d4a4cbce_z.jpg

Looks awesome!

Overstitch wheel? 7spi?

Edited by Blue Collar

Who's pricking iron did you use? The pricks look to be very flat. less like this -> ///////// and more like this -> ---------

I used a very cheap chisel from Tandy Leather with, I appreciate you mentioning it, I've been meaning to get a new one and was looking for advice from anyone on here for what they use, I've heard that "diamond hole" chisels make a good punch but haven't used one. Please let me know if anyone has a suggestion! 

Here are a few things I worked on recently.

First project: Horween Shell Cordovan Outer. Horween Horsehide Natural CXL inner.

Second project: Four slot Clayton Navy Shell Cordovan wallet with black painted edges.

Third project: A timber CXL moleskin notebook cover.

ZwicNxz.jpg

u4CiKkg.jpgHLSOLXB.jpg

RULLK05.jpgFXSot4U.jpg

These look extremely clean, great design, what leather is that on the first one?

It is Wickett & Craig Chestnut English Bridle.

For the inner slots of wallets, how are you guys doing the bottom of the inside pocket? Stitch? 

Yes - you stitch the "inner" pocket to ONLY the interior piece of the bifold and it is 'T' shaped.

Edited by Deusis

I started to put together a resource for all things related to leather working. Resources include leather suppliers, hardware suppliers, thread suppliers, and patterns. I'm hoping it can become a living/comprehensive list that can help people out. Let me know if you want to contribute!

A few new projects.

Horween Crocodile Print Horsehide Brown Chromexcel:

N663noF.jpg

UK Shell Cordovan Mid-Brown Card Holder:

PyURdEG.jpg

A selection of some new UK Shell Cordovan I just received:

cd2XusS.jpg