Post Your Leather Creations.

Lotus Cowboy

Where's everybody at? Come on folks, get frisky. Start posting.

I took a road trip today to Yoakam, Texas, home of Campbell Randall sewing machines.

Campbell Randall's flagship product is a needle and awl sewing machine. The machine punches a hole and then sends a needle up the awl hole. The stitch this produces is magnificent. The videos are exactly great but you get the idea.

8383036760_5cf0c8c04c.jpg

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

The bobbin is unreal as well. It's more like a shuttle.

8381959813_4e652c2eab.jpg

8381960591_73c2010e7e.jpg

Dan even sewed through a penny on that same piece of leather. Believe it folks.

Edited by raWorkshop

Nice post raWorkshop!

I've been having trouble with cutting for sanding the edge after the sewing was done. I tend to over cut the edge and ruin the whole piece. I found out the some Japanese leather craftsmen use a skiver plane looks like this

$T2eC16ZHJHIE9nysey8LBP-4qG5TVQ~~60_35.JPG

but they are too expensive for it's purpose so I did some research and found this:

FOO280113_l.jpg

Not sure if this would work. So if anyone has used something similar I would love to hear your experience with it. I assume the blade is not going to be sharp enough for leather work so I have to resharpen the blade.

Also, xin- you may have luck with the wood planer, should be able to get it sharp (those flat blades are really easy, just make a little jig to hold your angle) but you will suffer from shitty blade metal on a cheap one, and would probably do better spending a little cash. Should still be able to find a decent used one for pretty cheap, generally the older the tool, the better the blade metal (do some research though). There are tons of sites with wood planer fanatics which would probably help very much with sharpening, maintenance, etc.

Is that blue on top or am I seeing things? Beautiful.

Ra, thats pretty cool, so it sews a saddle stitch instead of a lockstitch? Or is it just so that the stitch sits nicer? I was just on their site actually looking a skiving machines, some how missed that.

It's a lock stitch, no two ways about it. It's interesting, I'm now convinced that hand stitching is only stronger on thinner leathers (<10 oz net thickness), and barely, mostly theoretically stronger on anything thicker. Threads are just too incredible these days, fiber strengths higher than steel etc. The thread and machines like that or anything sewing higher than 3/8 in. runs through a lubricating wax and it's crazy strong at 3 cord and higher poly.

@ XIN

I have both of those planes... The second straight plane is around 9 dollars at your local hardware store...both work nicely...you just have to get used to them( be careful they can cut a lot with very little pressure)

I must be crazy to notice that this is the new thread for leather crafting just now!

Keep the fuss on the front page aside, I'm happy to be able once again seeing all of great Artisans in superfuture contribute about leatherworks. For me, really an eyegasm and inspiring piece of art.

Well, many may have known that I am one of the men behind VOYEJ, sometimes I really would like to post our products, but then again I cannot really post it up in here that much because we mainly run the business (as in the brand, design, material sourcing, & QC). We are not literally the true artisans :)

But to be able to run a good business up until now, me myself also have to know deep knowledge about several techniques, tools, steps, etc.

Anyway, sorry about the rant. Consider this post like a "Hello" from me in 2013 :)

Success & blessings throughout our Journey ahead.

Regards,

Lucas

Edited by lucaas

Been a long time since I've posted here. I made this business card case the other day:

8384150187_0a845602b6_c.jpg

Good stuff, Hollows! I bet it was fun keeping your awl straight going thru that thick, narrow welt!

Edited by Moonshine

Sometimes its fun to see how designs evolve. Here is the first version of what I call "The Original Park Sloper," designed last summer for and named by my cousin who is a singer/songwriter living in Brooklyn. It fits moleskine volant notebooks and a fisher stowaway space pen.

120822_0011_1.jpg

While using it, I wanted easier access to the cards and the bills, so that lead to version 2, which I carry all the time and love:

121022_0014.jpg

More pics and full story of the original design here.

And here is my old design of its bigger brother the "Sloper Senior," the Field Notes size wallet following the same idea:

121124_0024.jpg

And I've just finished the similar update, moving the cards to vertical positions and ditching the folded front cover:

130117_0039.jpg

130117_0054.jpg

Because of the folded design of the pen sleeve basically doubling the thickness of the back cover, thicker leathers like Chromexcel dont work that well for these wallets. I like my wallets slim! Turns out 3oz Hermann Oak bridle leather is just perfect. Great to work with, nice n' thin and a little firm, which is great for this larger model (less floppy). The first pic is Havanna Brown with golden brown thread from Maine Thread, the second is black with grey thread.

On a great tip from Corter, I ordered a custom hole punch for the pen sleeve holes and it should be here next week. I can't wait to not have to cut those by hand!

Hope this was fun for someone out there! Next up, a slimmer billfold design I've had brewing for a while... Craft on, crafties.

Keegan

YO GENTLEMEN!

Long time no post!

RAWORKSHOP - that sewing machine is a BEAST!!! I would love to know who uses these machines, besides high end saddle makers.

Here are a new designs as of late

this one is Front Quarter Natural Horsehide CXL.

I Tested out some thicker sinew on this wallet. not sure how i feel about it yet.

8390130831_505218dcf8_z.jpg

8390131141_6794891842_z.jpg

8391213270_e6d2835202_z.jpg[

This one is redish HORSEY ASS CXL

8391213898_4bb96f1bdf_z.jpg

8390131301_cf349e1d68_z.jpg

8390130919_c1658df785_z.jpg

RAWORKSHOP - that sewing machine is a BEAST!!! I would love to know who uses these machines, besides high end saddle makers.

Handle closers for bagmakers I think is the only other mass customer I think. It's the opposite of planned obsolescence, they had one in the window from 1900 that survived 3generations of saddlemakers, they just kept it because the ironwork was nice. Patented in 1880 and those things still cost 6 big ones. Dan says they only move 2 a month these days.

Edit: The grain on those pieces is awesome!

Also, how do I leave rep these days?

Edited by raWorkshop

I was thinking of ordering a stitching punch from them, I don't really like the craftool one I have and heard the Japanese ones are better. Is there any difference between the Seiwa and the Craft sha? Any other tools you guys like from that site?

A buddy of mine from leather worker told me to check out this thread. Some gnarly stuff. Can't wait to check back.

I've been doing leather craft for a few years now. Just starting to get around to putting stuff up online.

8411365726_c54fd77237_z.jpg

8410269951_6d0b702cf4_z.jpg

8410269933_6480a8e691_z.jpg

8410269909_b5817d3de4_z.jpg