Post Your Leather Creations.

Lotus Cowboy

The same thing you did!

It’s not unknown that several of us hobbist/vendor guys have been making a lot of shill posts, (Look at me! Look what I can do! - SEE ABOVE) so I understand where the Mods are coming from by closing threads. I’m going to play by the rules and I think everyone else should as well… This thread is intended for the true hobbist/DIY’er people, unless I'm missing something.

Moonshine,

I made no plug for my web site nor did I advertise a sale of some sort. I may be wrong but I don't think Jaw was trying to get you to buy that wallet, I think Jaw got some cool shrunken Bison he wanted to show to the sufu community. Is this wrong? So Hollows, Jaw, BlackAcre, Corter, Lucass, Zissou, Lazybum, and all of the other great artisans(who also run a small business) are no longer able to take part in the PYC thread? I am asking a legitimate question not trying to be a jerk.

Edited by FALERBRAND

I think that we (the people who contribute to this thread) can tell the difference between someone trying to push product, and someone excited to share ideas about pursuing the craft. Leave off the signatures, links, and prices and we should be fine here.

The old PYC thread was a unique place on the whole internet where the new wave of leatherworkers could share ideas, inspiration, confusion, and curiosity. It was exactly the kind of thing that turns a web forum into an interesting community. Killing threads like PYC is going to kill Superfuture in the long run, and I find it incredible that the mods don't realize that.

A web forum without the voices of its community is empty space. We are the ones ensuring that Superfuture is a worthwhile place on the internet.

Show me your new design, not your fall lineup. End rant.

Edited by hollowsleather

Sorry to see that last thread go. It was really a testament of something great. I mean, plenty of you guys have a business (I do too, however it may not be too obvious right here) and still ideas are being shared - I don't see many businesses doing that anywhere.

Anyways, maybe we should all switch to leatherworker or open our own separate forum.

Yeah Guys,

I totally understand where you’re coming from, and I also want to let everyone know that I love the camaraderie of the core group (Hollows, Jaw, BlackAcre, Corter, Lucass, Zissou, Lazybum, Faler, etc.) here! I’ve communicated directly with a few of you and it’s the “spirit of fellowship†that got me into this stuff in the first place! I really enjoy seeing all the awesome work everyone puts out, and it inspires me to do my best with my own projects, even though I realize there is sometimes a bit of “borrowed design†in my (and other’s) work, but seeing all the creative ways of solving similar “problems†is a good thing, IMO. I haven’t been a member of SUFU very long, but from what I understand, it seems the site is ever-changing, and possibly going in a new direction than in the past. Fine with me, but like Hollows stated in an earlier post, “A web forum without the voices of its community is empty space. We are the ones ensuring that Superfuture is a worthwhile place on the internet.†What good is the forum if the active members aren’t active due to restrictions being put into place that previously were accepted?

And about my previous posts, I was just stating my take on the Mod’s decision to close the other thread and to mandate what this thread should have in it. If any of you took offense, I apologize, and I truly hope we ALL can continue to show our work and share ideas, designs, etc. But I still think the gist of the message is that they don’t want us “advertising†even though the spirit of most of our posts is to just share ideas and do a bit of “back pattingâ€â€¦ Hopefully someone will chime in and set us all straight

Edited by Moonshine

http://supertalk.sup...threads-policy/

Also, sigs cannot have a link to a sales site. Unless he got permission, I don't know if JAW will get away with his sig, because his website is technically a written "web address" and not a "link". Maybe Jaw found a loophole or no ones caught on to him.

In the rules, it says that you can get approval for advertising and posting commercially oriented material. But we all know that means making monthly payments and sponsorship.

No ones really advertising, but a lot are posting commercially oriented material.

This thread's going to be dead now, unless sufu makes an exception.

Edited by public denimy

After receiving pm's from mods suggesting I buy advertising to "give back" to the forum because of some perceived level of success they came up with, the snarky "post-capitalist" and "non-commercial" closing comments of PYC is a fucking joke.

As Hollows said, without our user generated content the forum doesn't exist. Many of us have supported Superfuture for 5 years or more, buying from advertisers and adding valuable content of our own. Hell, we created enough content in PYC to generate over a quarter million page views, drawing in people from way outside the realm of this forum's core user group that ended up staying (and making the advertisers happy with page impressions).

To see that there's no support for our success in return is spit in the face.

Aight, back to posting awesome shit you've made. I'll start. Two cordovan watch bands. The #8 is full nato style, and the black is a simplified nato - one piece, which I prefer. It is the same sort of look as a full nato, but only one layer of leather under the watch means it sits nice and close to your wrist - especially good if you have a thick mechanical watch like the Damasko pictured. Both are with Zulu style hardware. Tag, you're it.

oh, and PS. Faler: that stuff you posted above looks amazing. I still havent figured out how to dye veg tanned leather with the sort of evenness you exhibit in your "medium brown" color. I apply mine with a sponge and without fail it comes out streaky and ugly. Share tips if you are willing...

121110_0020.jpg

121105_0038.jpg121105_0020.jpg

Edited by onestar

just to address this thing:

it is not a new policy that links to off-site sales in sigs are not permitted on sufu unless you are a paying sponsor.

the long and short of it is that people have been shilling all over the board.

a paying sponsor loudly (and rightly) protested about the practice in that particular thread.

i began to go through and contact the various offenders but the thread was rife with violations.

so yeah, easier to lock it

post maybe a too snarky message and

encourage people to begin again

everyone is free to post their creations.

the thread does feel more pure and inviting with a DIY aura rather than a place to crassly showcase your wares. it was started with a hobbyist spirit after all.

rather than delete the comments above, i will leave them for posterity.

mod decisions are not usually a kosher topic on the board but every stone is cast upon me bruises me lovingly, as the poet said.

i gently wipe my spit from your cheeks and plant a gentle kiss on each of your eyelids.

O

Thanks One Star...I don't hand dye my leathers (hardly ever, I don't like the smell nor can I do as good/consistent of job as the tannery) I buy all of my leathers in the colors you see. When I first started crafting I dyed leathers by hand but really I never could get them to look professional, especially after time and wear. I like those straps!

Fair enough, I think it is within reason to ask for the links to be removed. But I feel that we should continue to encourage anyone to post their leatherworks, whether they are intending to sell it or not, because I feel that selling your works is part and parcel of being a good craftsman.

I mean if you think about it leathercrafting is something that can only be improved with practice and experience, and that means making a lot of stuff. But you can't possibly give away everything you make. It is not a cheap craft to practice and you would have to sell something at some point to buy more materials to keep your craft going. So most craftsmen who have reached a certain level of craftsmanship would have already started, or would have to start selling their works sooner or later. So does that mean when a craftsman has reached that stage, he cannot participate in this thread anymore? I think that will really restrict the amount of quality content that makes it to this thread.

Of course i'm not advocating that we should allow people to use this thread to aggresively push their products. But at the same time we should not become all hostile just because someone posted something that he happened to be selling. Like what hollows said, most of us are able to tell when someone only participates to push his products.

From the mod's last post i'm guessing that he understands this, and that he only hopes to have the links removed, not much else. It was the reactions to the first couple of posts that worried me about the thread's future.

P.S. As much as I do not really like that the last thread was closed, thumbs up to the new thread being in superculture. I always thought the last thread was a misfit in supershopper.

Edited by lazybum

Faler, thanks for the info! I see some of your change pouches on the insides of wallets (seen on your tumblr) do not have a snap or flap or other type of closure. Is this because once it breaks in pretty well, that flap stays closed on its own? Saw this and was intrigued...

Thanks One Star...I don't hand dye my leathers (hardly ever, I don't like the smell nor can I do as good/consistent of job as the tannery) I buy all of my leathers in the colors you see. When I first started crafting I dyed leathers by hand but really I never could get them to look professional, especially after time and wear. I like those straps!

This is my first post on this forum.

I've lurked the PYC thread for a LONG time now. I've contributed a lot of pageviews and ad clicks over the life of that thread.

I kept coming back because of the craftspeople who posted their goods. Now that they seem to be fed up with this forum, I don't have much of a reason to keep coming here, either.

I doubt I'm unique in this regard.

Holla everyone , my first post here.

Monkey boots projects. bit drag guys sorry in advance.

Hand made with all leather parts..upper,innser sole , hand stich(not so neat)

IMG00082.jpg

feather line method inner sole.

IMG00080.jpg

Leather toe & heel contour.

IMG00084.jpg

IMG00079.jpg

sorry 2nd page

slightly change idea ...toe box change to rough out .

just added this pin2.

Photo0919.jpg

Photo0916.jpg

Photo0919.jpg

Photo0920.jpg

bellow already glue 1 layer leather sole.

Photo0924.jpg

Photo0923.jpg

Photo0922.jpg

Thinking to use cats paw heel (still available)...any body know where to get cats paw sole full or half?

sorry again.

So long old PYC thread and long life to this one :)

After a year off, i'm back in leathercrafting and currently working on a mid-wallet made from 6 oz veg tan saddle leather. Not totally satisfied with the sharp of the coin pocket flap.

img2728rzq.jpg

img2726fb.jpg

Also made a few conchos from a cooper NZ penny and a vintage solid brass token. Gonna use this one to match the hardware.

img2741zr.jpg

img2738wc.jpg

If anyone has a few meter of Seiwa microfiber thread in natural color to sell please let me know. I'm running out of thread for this project and GoodJapan has only 100m spool for sale, which is a little bit too much for my use.

Edited by JoeySullivan

Hey Guys,

Here’s my 1st Redmoon-style wallet; it's wallet measures 3.5†wide x 4.5†tall with a conventional cash/receipt pocket and 2 card pockets that will hold at least 4 cards each. It ended up being about 1/2" thick so it's not too crazy and should carry well. Let me know what you think!

7D966E4C-CC6B-43ED-BA21-107914C6A2FA-345-0000002CE47623D3.jpg

18C302A2-72D4-4C2B-B96E-1E119ECFFA17-345-0000002CDFDDCEE7.jpg

CAAE85F2-312A-4A17-9E0D-662A2E5AF120-345-0000002CDA6B52F4.jpg

754C80A5-B328-4625-B271-1F855B2A7DEC-345-0000002CD4DBA8C6.jpg

C07374B5-EFC4-4D7A-9A91-8197888699C0-345-0000002CCF614CE9.jpg