Announcement: HWDC Round 2 2013/15

Megatron1505

I have received quite a large amount of PM's over the duration of the current competition, from people asking me if they could either join late, or if there would be another contest to follow the current one, and at first I wasn't really too interested in doing another contest. Please don't get me wrong, I have loved, and still love with a passion the current contest, some of the worn denim produced (particularly recently) from the competitors has been exactly what I hoped we would all see from the very first day that dreamt up the contest, and first spoke to Beatle, b_F, and a few others about how it could or should work. However, I really wanted the contest to be special as a "one off", crown a champion and let them enjoy their reign as King or Queen of Heavyweight Denim, but.......

The only way this could work for a second run (in my opinion) is to make it bigger, bolder, better, new features, more admin support for me to keep things running, and lots more special features to make the HWDC 2 the biggest and toughest denim comp that there has ever been.

What I am doing with this thread comes by way of an announcement of intent, I want feedback, I want input, and most of all I want to deliver a competition that people will love, will capture their imaginations, will bring together a community love for Heavyweight denim, and most importantly will produce even more beautiful, worn heavy denim.

Here are a few of the things I have in mind, let me know what you think, I have highlighted changes to current rules in red.

* Competition will start on the 1st of March 2013, and run for 24 months.

* Only one pair of jeans per competitor.

* Contestants must post at least one pic every month, and a full update 4 times per year.

* Only denim of 17oz and above may enter, or any brand.

* One month wear amnesty is still in effect, if you have less than one months wear on your jawns...they and you are welcome.

* If any of the above rules aren't for you, then neither is this competition.

Those are the rules, nice and simple.

Now, here is what we are going to do this time (prospectively) that we did not do last time, all is subject to change, and open to suggestions.

* There will be a Heavyweight division (17oz- 21oz) and a Super Heavyweight division (21oz +). We will have a champion for each which will be decided by our chosen judges, and an overall champion from both winners. This Final Champion will be decided by a public vote of all those who sign up to the competition.

* Theme months will be introduced, ideas currently are "The Great Outdoors", "Jawns and Sports", "Jawns at Work" and "Jawns Nightlife". This is something I really want to hear peoples suggestions for.

* The competition will be multi-forum. Beatle will be administrating over here on Superfuture (I'll be here also), and I will also open up a thread on the Iron Heart forum. We will cros post announcements, updates, and key posts. I would have liked to take this to other forums too, but neither Beats or myself are particularly active anywhere else.

* We currently have no sponsorship or prizes (apart from passing on the Championship belt from winner to winner). I am happy to run "as is" because the denim produced is the most important part for me, or I am happy if companies, retailers, or individuals want to get involved, offer prizes, discounts or support in any way they would like to.

* There will be a competition specific jean (just finalising some details). You do not have to buy this jean to compete, only if you want to. I think it is going to be pretty special, you decide if it is for you. Announcement later.

Let me know what you think :)

Edited by Megatron1505

This is the most exciting post I have personally ever made, on any forum, and am every likely to make

:D

Ladies and gentlemen I would like to introduce a Special Edition Iron Heart jean, made for the Heavyweight Denim competition.

It is my distinct pleasure to announce that Iron Heart will making the ever popular Beatle Buster cut, in their super heavy 25oz denim. Fitted top block, slimmer thigh, slim tapered below the knee.

The key features of this new jean will be as follows....

- Black Contrast Arcs

- Special designed patch, exclusive to the HWDC, designed by the incomparable Beatle

- Free extra super thick leather patches (2 per jeans purchased)

- Free hemming done by me (seriously), this is my punishment for......

- Unbelievable introductory price of only $425, usual price would be $495

So, here's the deal.

- In order to get these jeans made for the comp I need to get Pre-orders for 50 pairs, the pre-order deposit cost is $100.

- Pre-order will need to be made in the next 8 weeks, in order for the jeans to be in our hands for the start of the competition.

- Giles will set up a product code for anyone wishing to pre-order, and pay directly to Iron Heart.

- Manufacture time will be 10 - 12 weeks.

Finally, here are some random shots that I have stolen from the internet (some may be yours), to remind us all what the 25oz denim can fade like, and what the Busters fit like.

IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5225.jpg

8166428788_2588d6ebd8_z.jpg

images-d.jpeg

8204728581_a057cab25c_c.jpg

CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO PAY YOUR DEPOSIT DIRECTLY TO IRON HEART, AND TO READ THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION.

http://www.ironheart...products_id=372

Prize Announcement

Our good friends Danny and Junior at Rivet and Hide, UK stockists of Flat Head, Steel Feather, Hiut Denim, RJB, Nudie, Railcar, and our old buddies Obbigood Label, have kindly offered to provide our main prize for the competition.

http://rivetandhide.com/brands/

Rivet and Hide will give to our overall winner, their choice of any pair of jeans, or shirt, from any brand which they carry.

I would like to thank Danny and Junior for this amazing offer, and for supporting independent denim competition.

Steel Feather Competition Reduced Price

Anders and his team at Steel Feather have generously offered to reduce the price of their 21oz jeans for those wishing to wear them to compete in the HWDC 2, when purchased through Rivet and Hide.

http://rivetandhide....el-feather.html

After meeting Anders myself, and seeing the quality of the jeans, I would love to see some of the competitors wearing them.

The code for the special purchase is HWDC2, and Danny just needs to get his web guys to code it in. I will let everyone know when this is done. Thanks again to Steel Feather and Rivet and Hide.

Prize Announcement Number 2

The Denim Vault Jakarta have kindly offered the following prizes...

$250 for each category Champion.

$150 for second

$100 for third

They have also offered a 10% discount on any jeans purchased for use in this contest.

Price Reduction Announcement

From our friends at Tuck Shop Sundry Supplies of Singapore....

1. Redcloud 21oz R400-S Xinjiang Cotton Denim Jeans (size 28 to 36) 20% discount at USD 186.40

http://www.tuckshops...ore/r400s-21oz/

2. Redcloud 17oz R400 Xinjian Cotton Denim Jeans (Size 28 to 36) 20% discount at USD 173.60

http://www.tuckshops...tore/r400-17oz/

Use code: TSSHWDCROUND2

DC4

DC4 will be offering a 10% discount on all heavyweight denim, just contact the guys there about the denim you want, and ask them to discount the 10% for the HWDC2.

Naked and Famous

N&F will give a special edition, 32oz, super heavy denim bag to the most active participant in the Super Heavy category !!! This will be a one off, never been produced before, super special, HWDC2 exclusive item.

Tate & Yoko

T&Y are offering a 10% discount to anyone wishing to purchase jeans weighing in at 17oz or above from their web store. To take advantage of this generous offer please enter the code TYHWDC2 upon purchasing. T&Y stock an extensive range of Naked and Famous, The Flat Head, Kamikaze Attack, Paul Rose and Studio D'Artisan denim, all of which is contest worthy.

Edited by Megatron1505

well done Gav! I'm looking forward to what you have in mind and what you guys might make possible (jeans-wise). a good advantage of having a special pair and thus a brand behind it is, that this brand might also be a sponsor. who knows? :)

and maybe kiya will support this contest again and maybe other shop owners who sell heavy weight denim

Thanks b_F, I've been thinking about what and how to change things up for a while. I didn't want to change too much (as what we have is great), but also I wanted to make it bigger, brighter and fresher.

I was also very conscious of distracting from the current comp, but production times for and jeans, people being able to plan their finances, and mostly the enormous amount of interest that people have already shown has mean that I had to put "something" out here :)

I always miss the boat on these type of opportunities. NO MORE!!

I'd like to be considered as well.

I think the monthly theme idea is awesome, although I think doing a multi-forum platform seems like unnecessary work for the moderators. Why not keep things as streamlined as possible?

Whatever happens, I'm excited to watch... and possibly take part.

Sign me up! Really looking forward to se what kind of brand and denim might be made for this. If it's a good fit for me personally I'd buy ASAP!

Great updates for round 2 as well!

Seems like you've got some neat new aspects this time around! Must say I'm quite curious and stoked since the ongoing competition is where I started out lurking on Sufu some months back.

Two questions though:

About the updates you're talking about full updates every three months and just some whatever-pic once a month. I interpret it as something like a WAYWT-pic once a month and an upload with front and back pics every three months as some kind of minimum. Am I on the right track? :)

Monthly themes sounds like a cool idea. Wouldn't it be cool if we made it up as some kind of challenges to accomplish? For instance to play a game of basketball if we have a month with a sports theme. Could probably result in some awsome pics.

Bobbo, I would think that the theme months would be exactly as you are imagining. Not sure about challenges, and if their are any they would be relatively simple.....but quite entertaining. Not everyone will want to, or even possibly be able to play Basketball...but you're on the right lines.

As for pictures, what you describe is the minimum effort. Like anything, you get out what you put in, and things like the theme months are designed to ensure maximum effort and entertainment all round :)

Please see the second post, for the announcement of our very special competition jeans.

Also, just to make clear as I know the questions will come, Iron Heart will be offering no further sponsorship of the contest, no prizes, and no endorsement. This is simply Iron Heart making an unbelievable offer to make for us an exclusive pair of contest jeans, in their heaviest denim yet, in a slim modern cut (as yet unused for the 25oz denim), at a $70 reduction of price.

Iron Heart will be making very little, if any money out of this, but Giles has said that he will get drunk with the winner.

Anyone wanting to come to IHUK HQ and actually see me hem their jeans is more than welcome, we may need beer afterwards ;)

Edited by Megatron1505

Yeah, I'm on the same note; didn't mean the "challenges" to be as some sort of criteria to stay in the competition but rather to get people out of their comfort zones. It's all about having a blast and putting some life and stories into the jeans after all. :)

And bloody hell, that's some sweet jeans you're sorting out for the competition!

I will speak to Iron Heart tomorrow, as soon as a payment link is available I will post it in the second (jeans announcement) post, and let everyone know via this thread.