uniqlo debate thread

Vampyrvargfesten

I never heard about the child labor thing, and couldn't find any articles mentioning it. In fact, this article says the opposite http://clothesforsmiles.uniqlo.com/ja/idea_detail.php?idea_key=801350410537

I used to buy something every time I walked into Uniqlo, but already have most of my basics covered. Their online selection also doesn't seem to be as good as in-store. I'm sure they'll do fine, especially with all the potential for expansion outside of Japan, and the fact that there are still only 4(?) stores in the US.

just because you spent a ton of money on "designer clothes" doesn't make you anymore "stylish" than anyone else here... isn't the whole point of "fashion" to wear stuff that YOU feel you look good in.... homeboy just upset he trying to squeeze into some 36 inch slims

Edited by Walt Thizzney

I'm probably in the minority here, but one of the things that appeals to me about designer clothes, especially second hand designer clothes bought online, is that they are pretty ethical in origin. Clothes made in factories in Japan, Italy, or France are going to have better labour practices then those in Vietnam or China. (I don't really know how it goes in places like Turkey, and would be interested to find out). I think it was Sawyer who pointed out that Uniqlo's poor labour grades.

On the other hand, Uniqlo does offer some of the best value clothes with their designer collabs, particularly at final mark down. Even knowing where this stuff comes from doesn't really stop me completely from buying it. Besides, globalization is unfortunately endemic and necessarily a part of our consumerist society (from Apple and Samsung products from Foxconn factories to the shit you buy from a dollar store). So, being the poor yet semi-conscientious person I am, I try to buy as little as possible, and wait for the deals online on real designer stuff that will last longer anyway.

Fast fashion is bad for our planet (including the people on it). One of the things that sufu did well, once upon a time anyway, was promote a way around that through owning better things. At the same time, we all gotta live, right?

sawyer should chime in also, but here is the relevant section from the most current report for reference, for those interested

http://www.fastretailing.com/eng/csr/business/monitoring.html

WcNdt.jpg

E Grades Assigned to Partner Factories, FY2011 (Sept. 2010 - Aug. 2011)

icon_title2.gifFalse Reporting

The FR Group's initial inspections identified discrepancies in production records, employee interviews and documents on the number of hours worked at a particular factory. FR employees visited the facility and confirmed that some people had been working on Saturdays, in addition to overtime hours on weekdays. However, the factory had altered its records to hide the fact that its workers had exceeded the maximum permissible amount of 36 hours of overtime per month. FR viewed this as an example of false reporting and gave the factory an E grade. The FR Group subsequently scaled back its order to this facility.

icon_title2.gifPast Examples of Child Labor Violations

The FR Group discovered that four people under the age of 16 were employed at one factory in 2009 (they were 16 years old or older on the day of the visit). The factory's operations manager was responsible for verifying the ages of new employees, but the facility lacked a system to double-check the ages of its workers. It also had problems related to the management of documents. Within a month, FR employees visited the factory and confirmed that improvements had been made. Nevertheless, the FR Group gave an E grade to this factory due to material deficiencies with its management system. The FR Group subsequently scaled back its orders to the factory.

*In fiscal 2011, there were four E-graded factories and all of them made improvements. No factories received E grades at the end of the fiscal year (August 31, 2011). For more details, please see page 34.

Why does this thread exist?

Seriously.

i think it's vampy's secret ploy to get us roused up about the explosion of uniqlo and that it's going to be too mainstream for all us. We'll think it's lame and so we'll move on to muji and vamps will be like,

128823850148091073.jpg

uniqlo collabs all day for vampy

dude, they sell flannels for 19.90 and oxfords for 29.90. How can you dislike that?

so does forever 21

so does H&M

so does zara

no one talks about that 'f21 life'

uniqlo is cool for basics but it should not be flaunted in waywt

Edited by mrip

so does forever 21

so does H&M

so does zara

i corrected this for you. you now owe me rep.

Edited by Woogie

real wisdom though-

it was not my intention to hate on uniqlo, or consumption of it's products. owning cheap basics and certain bits and pieces is forgivable, but when the qlo-lifers flaunt qlo abundance fits and get cocky about it i feel it's my duty put them down like the dirty animals they are. anyone who is not guilty of the same offense has automatic dominion over them.

so does forever 21

so does H&M

so does zara

cant speak on zara but the hm and f21 oxfords can S a D. A quarter of the price of supremes oxford, half the price of J crew or Polo, the jew inside me rejoices. Lame work basicz.

Edited by vaguerant

all you are saying is that I would have more money left over for a decent burger if I buy uniqlo oxfords.

i actually meant that with the money saved by refraining from kopping unqilo oxfords, you could get a decent burger. anyway we obviously don't eat the same burgers...or you're not a good tipper.

Edited by Woogie

I don't really have any reservations for or against uniqlo, but considering I just walked outta there with chinos that fit the same as my unis ones I just blew 200 on, I could see the allure with basics. Obviously you have the made in china, worse fabric, construction etc, but considering the crotch blew out on my unis pants after 3 wears I don't care. Also, I got dat garbage bag down jacket as a layering piece. I also bought marled socks thinking they were thick but they were thin as paper, do they have thicker wigwam type socks?

couple months later

A.P.C debate thread

in this thread we present our viewpoints on A.P.C

up for discussion:

- the webstore's recent launch in the usa and planned expansion

- the emergence of head-to-toe A.P.C outfits in waywt

- questionable outsourced labor practices

- how much A.P.C do supertalk users intend to purchase next year

- speculate how much A.P.C is in each other's closets

- if A.P.C will be distinctly differentiated from uniqlo/h&m/gap/topshop/zara in the future

Edited by snahfu