Yumla HK

bam93270

replacing ex-Phoebe on Peddington street, Central....they just changed the location of the bar.....party last friday with DJ MissBliss, cute New-Yorker who can play breakbeat..

Mixed crowd, Lan Kwai Fong meets Soho...avoid vodka, left bad aftertaste...

also Dip, not far from Drop..very local, tough door but u can get away with flair and attitude...hip-hop, very dark, crowded..can't really see who're dancing with so beware...

• 2 weeks later...

the shopping scene in hong kong's always changing for me. i couldn't come by when the sars problem hit the country last year and only just managed to visit twice from europe last year in december and just this january.

there are four shopping area i can recommend now just to breeze through and check out if anything catches your interest: always, harbour city, tsimshatsui and only because it seems to stretch for miles and you never get over how the buildings interconnect and bring you through levels and shops and shops every turn and twists; times square and areas around in causeway bay; the new ifc tower buildings in central have new shops opening inside and some look interesting; and you can never go wrong with the landmark in central, and areas around and across (armani and prada opening mega stores just in the adjoining buildings to the landmark, or find the connecting bridges to the other buildings and wander).

trouble with coming in from paris and knowing the shopping here is great, i always end up looking for local labels in hong kong or tailored outfit, but you'll need a really good shanghainese tailor for the perfect cut and one that truly flatters your figure.

the last time i had a suit done for my husband at sam's, the renown tailor shop along nathan road (and only because we were newly married and one has to have at least one outfit done by sam), a close examination of the workmanship showed pretty shoddy work on the trouser pockets.

baby, we're all beautiful!

--isla maia

• 5 months later...