1791 Supply and Co

bicepij

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this already (I did a quick search - if it has been mentioned, mods, please feel free to move this post). At first I thought it was just another celebrity endorsed sweatshop manufactured in a third world country denim line, but it seems to be the real deal. Red line selvedge Cone denim, made in the US.

http://1791.shop.musictoday.com/DeptLanding.aspx?cp=50107_58405

Looks like a one-wash.

Dissidents of the brand mention that $129 is steep for the average jean buyer, but we're not talking about cheap fabric jeans made in Bangladesh or Colombia. If it really is from Cone, I consider that a steal.

bicepij - not only are they constructed in the USA, every aspect of the jeans is entirely made in the USA. I was pretty excited to see this launch today, and then I really started looking at the details and was blown away. I'm a big GB fan and I'm glad to see he's done it right.

They spent a year on R&D refining the two fits and getting the details right. I've got no doubt the line is operating at a deficit right now but I heard tonight that all profits will be donated to charity as well.

the video's a bit odd to follow.

He said he found the company that made the first pair of jeans and asked if they could do that again. We see Cone, so I guess he's saying Cone made the first pair of jeans, years after Levi's did.

And then he says the company that made jeans closed up shop and moved to China. I guess he's referring to Levi's. Did Levi's go to china to make jeans?

I like the phrase, "Cut to Fit American's." I think we all know what that means.

I wonder if the machines they use to make these jeans are "American Made?" Are the buttons made in America? The thread? The workers?

If you're going sell the history of jeans, at least get your facts straight.

I was trying to be sympathetic with his level of knowledge and how he was trying to explain his understanding of denim and the history of jeans in America, but yeah, he's all over the friggin' place. Levi's moved everything to China? I don't know what "fake" rivets are. And he really likes to use the word "original" a lot. I dig the passion, but twisting facts (intentional or not) to sell product irks me.

I'm curious enough to see if someone gets a pair and sheds some light on these. I do like the plain copper(?) buttons. Happy, they might be made in the USA. When Raleigh Denim first started out, I think Victor mentioned that the buttons (which look similar) were either made in KY or GA. I can't remember which.

Edit: It's kind of a weird commercial. The setup was good, but then you realize he was building a fake metal rocket??

Edited by grooveholmes

Oh my, why did I even watch Glenn Beck's video. I think I have never heard the word "American" being repeated that many times in only 10 minutes. Anyhow, it is ironic how they stress the fact that these jeans are made in America by your fellow Americans while in reality they are most likely made by underpaid immigrants (or as Glenn Beck puts it: "free workers"). They might as well produce them in Mexico to begin with.

Also, why reinvent the wheel? Railcar does everything this new brand does, only better. But maybe Glenn did not fit into a pair of Spikes. :)

Saw this. Was slightly amused.

The fit sucks (short inseam, too loose) but the materials and construction don't seem bad. That leather patch is really ugly though.

I doubt GB knows that there are already a lot of all-American made brands doing this same thing, and probably better. To be fair, though, these are probably a good value for the money.

man, a lot of hate for mr. beck. is this from personal experience, or from reading left wing message boards? whether you like him or not, I think we all probably have people in our lives that we consider friends or loved ones that are much bigger pieces of shit than him. anyway, he is just trying to get his piece of the pie, just like the rest of us. main difference is that he is doing it much more successfully.

Not hate but recognition for his years of fear mongering & lies which he has spread through the airwaves & no he's by far the worst person I know of due to his ability to spread his brand of poison to benighted individuals & produce something worst than ignorance but hate which pervades from all aspects of his followers.

So once I found out he was associated w/ this brand, I'll cont. to opt for the $300 dollar denim knowing it will not go to produce his show or promote his brand whether it be his show or denim line. And their is no need to to listen to or read from the "left wing" to know this person is vile just a form a logic which some seem to lack. Cheers.

man, a lot of hate for mr. beck. is this from personal experience, or from reading left wing message boards?

He's pretty much a spinster and as such, makes pretty inflammatory comments from time to time. It's good for ratings. No different from, say, Olbermann on the other side of the spectrum. I don't listen to either. You can always google either of these guys and come up with a list of dumb things they've said. As far as stupid family goes, I agree, that can temper our disdain a bit, but these are actually grown-ass men who get paid to speak their opinions to the masses so they're bound to delight and offend. I've got a shorter leash with public figures who get their "slice of pie" through media.

As for me, I'm interested in just about anything that's new in this niche. So far I'm unimpressed with the advertising/backstory. It's pretty poorly executed, imo. But, that doesn't mean the jeans are crap. Details and pricing look decent enough, maybe we'll see some pics. Now if you'll excuse me, I have REAL American work to get to; I'm building an unmanned rocket in my backyard.

of course he's a spinster! our society has created a pretty huge market for spin. my point was that when you give these guys a fair shake (Olbermann included), they tend to be less outrageous than their opponents profess.

i'm not endorsing the product whatsoever. i just think it's crazy when people just shoot straight to the hate when opinions are different.

of course he's a spinster! our society has created a pretty huge market for spin. my point was that when you give these guys a fair shake (Olbermann included), they tend to be less outrageous than their opponents profess.

i'm not endorsing the product whatsoever. i just think it's crazy when people just shoot straight to the hate when opinions are different.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Beck has quite the track record of hating on people who's opinions differ from his, so what goes around, comes around. When you make a living spreading lies, rumor and propaganda, I think you make yourself fair game for the same kind of treatment and I'm not sure about your family but there isn't anyone in mine who is anywhere close to Glen Becks level.

Besides, there are many grass roots companies doing exactly what he's professing to be about, that do it for the right reasons and without making a three ring political circus about it. That's the true 'American Way'.

Edited by devilish

These jeans look like a slightly cheaper version of Crate denim's stuff. I'm not a fan of Crate. The cuts are too loose, and the inseam is far too short for a guy like myself. Add to that the fact that Glenn Beck is trying to claim some responsibility for creating these and I now have every reason ill ever need to not buy these haha.

I wont lie though if those fits were more up my alley theyd be very tempting at those prices.

I'm curious if these were produced by a garment jobber or if 1791 has an actual workroom. In the video Mr. Beck specifically mentions that it is a company that is putting people back to work but the stitchers in garment manufacturing houses already have jobs and there is no shortage of young designers to keep them in business. This is all very...odd.

whatever. another shill taking advantage/riding the "heritage work wear" trend. Id rather support Left Field NYC, or some other American brand than Glen Beck.

I'm just tired of the "heritage workwear" thing, period, and wish companies would use their badass old machines and manufacturing techniques to make more interesting stuff. (Granted, magazines like Lightning or Daytona Bros. cover more styles, but workwear is the only stuff of it you'll see on Superdenim...)

imo, cuz [that] is their niche'. they have loyal, as well as new enthusiasts that expect & trust them to keep with tradition. veering away from [that] meant losing their identity.

if you've been around long enough [or have read quite a bit], you'd find out that most forumites, even the most rabid ones, make themselves scarce or just plain drop out after sometime. peeps change ... taste & aesthetics & sense of style change ... it's to be expected.