Saint Laurent mens S/S 13

bill

i was going to write that this looks understyled, but i dig the 50s revival vibe. maybe i just took my own cultural competency for granted, but is no one else seeing elvis presley ca. 1950s here? not my style personally, but i can appreciate it.

sufu's sensibility gravitates to grungy, destroyed, even maximalist at times. these clothes are probably look too clean.

a lot of it is just so basic though. maybe he's playing it down like when kva picked up dh

surprised at all the hate. for the first time i'll probably pick up ysl without feeling gaudy and actually wear most of the pieces on a daily basis.

YSL mens under Pilati was actually quite good. Not something I'd wear personally, but he made nice clothes. Better than anything in this collection for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

i wouldn't really be mad at a dh retread but this is all the filler pieces from every dior collection with nothing good

I was trying to put into words what I thought of the pieces until I came across your post. Exactly! I feel like it's 2005 again. He's picking up right where he left off and it was on a down note compared to the splash he made in his early years at Dior.

• 1 month later...

^ that comment actually makes sense. and I agree. from looking at the clothes i found that i really really enjoy the shapes here. not just the circles and squares on the neck tie but the shapes in the detailing. for instance, the contrast peak lapel which creates a sort of motion in the jacket. as well as this black chest detail. image.jpg

its not strikingly clever stuff, but it is putting classic outfits into a different realm. the clothes have some nice shapes. and i like that its subtle. its not all crazy like DH circa 2004 with the 35lb looks. i like the colors, i like the overall look, it's totally retro, but really impeccably retro. not a lot of people can put such looks together with the finesse. a few of these photos one might believe are 40 years old, even 60 yo, imo. and i quite like that.

I agree, the collection isn't bad at all. It's just people are expecting fashion to be revolutionary, ignorant of the fact its recycled by nature.

Take a look at the women's collection. VASTLY better than the mens.

I don't think of Hedi-- or anyone, except maybe Christian Dior himself, maybe Yohji Yamamoto-- is a revolutionary designer. But he is a designer who has a good enough grasp on history to re-organize bits from the past into something worth looking at and wearing-- sometimes he puts the details together in ways they haven't been before, like an author with good use of language.

that being said, YSL is more about tailoring than about 'design'.

The brown shawl collar tux jacket is an intriguing piece, I like the high collar on the trench, and the cut of the double breasted blazer is attractive.

• 3 weeks later...

the stylists of the world all have their saint laurent gear already

(damn at those big bang k-pop weirdos wearing it in the most tacky way possible, smh)

also

this valter model dude is stylin hard in this vid... everyone else, not so much.

almost any skinny as fuck wears it well