UES Denim

ShAraLeEe

@JDelage

Would you mind doing a pit to pit measurement of your size 4 flannel? I'm looking at a couple of their flannel shirts in a size 4 but their p2p measurement comes out at 54cm and 55cm, or 21.2598"/21.6535". I'd need at least a 22" p2p to make it work for me. Is the p2p measurement on your shirt spot on with UES's fit chart?

And to the rest of you guys that own UES's flannel shirts, how would you compare the fit/quality/details to a brand like IH? I know it's comparing apples to oranges but i'm trying to get a sense of the construction details.

Construction is on a level comparable to each and any of the usual jp brands. Fabric of the heavy flannels is very nice, too. 

The fit is slim so sizing up may be an option, but I don't find them so slim as too be constricting - ymmv on that though of course. 

I'll measure it later today.

I don't find the fit slim. It's less boxy than a "authentic" work shirt, but there's plenty of room to move. The arms are a bit narrower than a Western production but nothing unmanageable. The neckline one my only sample is too wide.

47 minutes ago, Cucoo said:

Maybe I unintentionally sized down then ;)

Or shirts vary somewhat from one model to the next (shocking I know). When I think 'slim fit', my reference point are Western made shirts advertised as such, mostly Brooks Brothers.

In my mind, UES shirts, and products in general, are among the best ones coming out from Japan and are largely underappreciated. Flannels and shirts in general are slim fitting and one should look at their chest measurements so that sometimes I am a 3, sometimes I am a 4 or very rarely a 2. Being slim, shirts are not forgiving if you have any belly.

I only own 2 of their shirts - the fabrics are indeed very, very nice, but the collar has been bothering me in both cases.

until I get that fixed they won't be worn...

On 9/15/2015 at 3:10 PM, pudaspriest said:

Just received a new UES heavy flannel, I think I am in love! Not as heavy as my iron heart one but still really substantial. Really tempted to order another color immediately. 

KQ1w6ds.jpg

I know this is an old pic but I dig the way the shoes match the shirt.

that is a great colourway! I don't like most of their colourways, but they do come up with a few amazing ones. I have my eye on an orange/blue colourway coming out shortly apparently

1 hour ago, Niro said:

that is a great colourway! I don't like most of their colourways, but they do come up with a few amazing ones. I have my eye on an orange/blue colourway coming out shortly apparently

A lot of their stuff reminds me of some of IH's stuff, like the 107 and 129. They have a knack for getting those cool vintage looking fabrics that I find appealing. Their flannels are definitely on my radar.

@ColonelAngus& others - Here are the measurements for my now 2 UES flannel shirts size 4. They've not been washed yet. They both are heavy flannel. The measurements are made with the shirt simply lying on a table; I didn't pull on it.

UES 501655 (solid indigo): Shoulders: 18, P2P: 22.5, Length: 28.75, Waist: 21.5, Sleeve: 25.75.

UES  501752 (orange plaid): Shoulders: 18.5, P2P: 22.75, Length: 29, Waist: 21.5, Sleeve: 25.5.

Edited by JDelage

On 2017/10/9 at 11:22 PM, ColonelAngus said:

A lot of their stuff reminds me of some of IH's stuff, like the 107 and 129. They have a knack for getting those cool vintage looking fabrics that I find appealing. Their flannels are definitely on my radar.

Given how poor the IH colorways have been until recently and how IH are yet to produce any colorway or style that has not been produced previously by a competitor, I would rather not hold IH as a standard. Majority of the UES colorways are unique to them. 

13 hours ago, mikkadehachikai said:

Given how poor the IH colorways have been until recently and how IH are yet to produce any colorway or style that has not been produced previously by a competitor, I would rather not hold IH as a standard. Majority of the UES colorways are unique to them. 

what has IH done that was produced by someone else? My understanding is that some of their unique offerings are done by a small mill. I can't speak to their more common patterns like ombres or buffalo checks but I haven't seen any of their check flannels done by other companies. Besides, i'm not so much concerned about exclusivity as I am construction details and fit.

My 8-9 years old UES belt, single prong style. The leather is not thick, not as thick as Samurai or Pherrow's, but have similar thickness to Sugarcane belt in my opinion.

Part of the stitches were gone, and the leather is a dried up and cracked... may be I should have better maintenance by applying some horse oil (e.g. Mustang Paste)? Anyway, I think it is a little too late to save it, lol

IMG_20171012_132928_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171012_132935_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171012_133025_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171012_133049_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171012_133126_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171012_133203_HDR.jpg

Some comparison photos with Pherrow's double prong belt. Pherrow's belt is thicker and wider, and it weights much heavier.

The double prong design helps to stabilize the buckle from moving, especially after years of wearing, the leather becomes soft and stretched, the double prong will do a great job.

But in my opinion, the smaller buckle size of UES is definitely much comfortable to wear, if you sit for long time in office or driving.

Also, the 7 eyelets design of the UES is too much for me, I only use the 5 eyelets in the center for all the time.

IMG_20171012_133257_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171012_133344_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171012_133411_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171012_133452_HDR.jpg

Edited by Jeff_ffej

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UES 400t

Maybe 1,5 years of wear. 40c wash every month or so.

Really lovely denim and the fit is one of my faves. Don’t get me started on the pocket bags (I usually have to mend these a lot but not here!). 

FC161F26-D3DA-47DE-9951-8A7E27B3489B.jpeg

54153F00-5B3E-4131-A25E-8209CD55DEA4.jpeg

17054B78-87AD-4CC6-AFE9-F55328A443DC.jpeg

3882EA5A-D943-47FC-AC6A-781989489DAA.jpeg

Bought this flannel shirt from ues. Great colourway. Fit is great apart from the bottom width...if that was a bit wider it would be perfect. Dunno how they brush the flannel on the inside, but it feels super soft and lovely. I want my pyjamas to feel like that haha :D

I'm already eyeing up two more of their extra heavy flannel shirts

us501654-17fw_1.jpg

22 minutes ago, kevypf597 said:

Where's the best place to buy UES flannels? I'm in the US and would like to see size charts as well. 

The official UES webstore. Their site is all in english (excellent english I might add) and they have a measuring guide.

https://www.japaneseselvagejeans.com/index_en_jpy_12-49.html