the current state of superfuture forums: discussion thread.

cheapmuthafukr

ye olde sufu

in all seriousness, it was pretty cool to read the forum circa 2004-2006 because there were virtually NO internet resources on fashion. i don't think hypebeast even existed back in the day. i remember when hypebeast had a picture of a cow in the header, and they used to take reader submissions. 

the forum used to be a lot more streetwear oriented. a lot of the OGs who brought knowledge to the forum had some sort of ties to japan because noone but the japanese cared or knew anything about fashion before ~2005. 

with multiple fashion blogs and news sites popping up, sufu kinda lost its edge as a forum where the forerunners shared knowledge about the up and coming "IT" brands. i think it's between 2002 and 2005-ish when a lot of the japanese brands, which were unknown outside of Japan,  e.g. julius (credit goes to djrajio), and wtaps (milspex et al),  were introduced

between 2006 ~ 2008, there was a pretty big influx of new members. i think that's when the forum (especially supertrash or whatever the equivalent was) used to be interesting. that's when sidney lo's waywt project and etc. took off. i still talk to these 2nd generation OGs (?) on a regular basis – both online and offline. 

it's kind of interesting to see how people's interest shifted over the past decade. it's come to a full circle. streetwear--> european high fashion <-> goth ninja --> streetwear with a focus on elusive japanese brands

i recently looked through my closet and tried to see which items truly stood the test of time since i started posting (i'm not talking about the "classico" labels that have been around - i'm specifically talking about stuff that was introduced to sufu as "up-and-coming")

1) mr. hollywood hoodie - 9 years

2) wings and horns (spruce) hoodies - 10 years

3) engineered garments stuff - 7 to 8 years

4) band of outsiders shirts - 9 to 10 years

runner-up) martin margiela 14 and some 10 - 8 years

some stuff i collected but dont wear / never sold: cloak / OG robert geller, one or two UC and NN pieces, nom de guerre

i bought a shit ton of cloak, geller, and ndg when i used to live closer to nyc. they hold a lot of sentimental values b/c i think a lot of the OGs were really into those brands and we, as a forum, had a consensus that those were the dopest brands. those are the labels that really got me interested in – fashion.

i still browse ebay/grailed for several NDG pieces that I never bought in 07/08. I can afford them now, but can't find them anywhere. I couldn't afford them then, but knew right where they were. #fml.

Superfuture has always been a bit of an escapist fantasy for me, my work/field of study is far from 'the creative life' so seeing cool fits, cool items and stuff has always been fun.  Plus, forums drama is always great for  shits and giggles.

I dont really see the point in complaining about it too much. The 1st/2nd gen members joined here almost 10 years ago. By this point they're either about that life so much that they don't really need a forum (it's cool to see the New York OGs thriving the way they are), or they lost interest. I'm surrounded by this stuff in my daily life now, so most days the last thing I want is to go on the computer and talk about it some more.

I have good memories of sufu because back when I joined fashion as I care about it didn't really exist anywhere else on the Internet, and certainly not in real life for me. I learned a lot and met a lot of great people on here, and mostly just made a lot of terrible posts so shout outs to Wayne for leaving search broken forever so nobody can find them.

Nowadays there's loads of places online to talk about things, fashion show pictures are online seconds after they're on the runway (it's weird to remember that there used to be a handful of people who were the only ones with good photos of stuff sup inaya), xclu Japanese brands can be found in most big cities, etc. and finding stuff even more niche than sufu ever was is not that difficult so I guess I'm not sure if a catchall forum for people who care about cool fashion stuff is all that necessary anymore

• 2 weeks later...

totally agree with herpsky's post. I didn't create an account until 2006 but was lurking for a long time prior (mostly due to fear of the insta-hate that came from any perceived missteps back in the day).

Kind of feel like it would be cool to have a temporary unban of everyone and see what would happen if we unleashed jmatsu back on the world

totally agree with herpsky's post. I didn't create an account until 2006 but was lurking for a long time prior (mostly due to fear of the insta-hate that came from any perceived missteps back in the day).

Kind of feel like it would be cool to have a temporary unban of everyone and see what would happen if we unleashed jmatsu back on the world

jmatsu was like a slightly more opinionated sschaud, both dropping knowledge of japonly stuff but still being pretty interesting to hear talk. Whatever happened to his clothing line?  Kinda wish dismal hadn't gone off the deep end w/TOJ too

jmatsu was like a slightly more opinionated sschaud, both dropping knowledge of japonly stuff but still being pretty interesting to hear talk. Whatever happened to his clothing line?  Kinda wish dismal hadn't gone off the deep end w/TOJ too

Not to blow anyone's mind but jmatsu is sschaud.