Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Not sure if I posted these here last year. Mirror toe on the Alden/J Crew color 8 cap toe boot.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The mirror toe didn't last long as I wanted to be able to dress them down a bit with denim or chinos. So after all that work (not really that much work) I applied a it of renovateur and brushed. It kept them looking sharp enough for business attire and not out of place with denim.

Thanks yes possibly but I think they might say $20 for some $400 boots might look odd. Thnk I'll just have to bite the bullet.......

If the shoes are used or bought as "used" then it should not be the customs problem what price you paid from them. IMO they cant punish you for making an awesome deal.

When i ordered my headgear for boxing from Usa i asked the seller to mark down the price for 300$ headgear for 55$ so it would not look so suspicious.

Customs didnt ask anything, i just paid few euros more.

Edited by nvsnli

I handled these a lot at Inspiration this weekend, I was really tempted to get a pair. The ones at the show had slightly lower profile toes and most of them had rubber half soles rather than the leather one in fb pictures. It was hard to get details from the guy at the booth, he didn't speak very good English and I don't know a word of Japanese, he was very busy with Japanese customers every time I went over. I believe some were HH and the quality was very good. I couldn't get a price but they are made here in the U.S. The only details that stopped me from buying were, I'd like a longer ankle strap with roller buckles and the toe wasn't quite as flat as I like. Although I think they would soften and flatten out with age.

Regarding the Ace boots. It looks like they're the ones manufacturing the Cordovan Engineer boots for Himel Brothers:

http://www.facebook....11.317153987342

Quite a big selection of their boots available in this Japanese shop:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/greatstore/c/0000000339/

Edited by indigoeagle

If the shoes are used or bought as "used" then it should not be the customs problem what price you paid from them. IMO they cant punish you for making an awesome deal.

When i ordered my headgear for boxing from Usa i asked the seller to mark down the price for 300$ headgear for 55$ so it would not look so suspicious.

Customs didnt ask anything, i just paid few euros more.

Thanks - they're Oak Street Bootmakers Trench boots so I think they probably won't believe me, especially as bought direct from OSB ! Looks like they're also holding some Samurai from 2nd as well though I should find out later today!

Thanks - they're Oak Street Bootmakers Trench boots so I think they probably won't believe me, especially as bought direct from OSB ! Looks like they're also holding some Samurai from 2nd as well though I should find out later today!

Good luck with customs. Hope you love the OSB Trench Boots. I'm completely satisfied with mine. No regrets or buyers remorse with that purchase.

I also saved :)

http://archive.is/bKQP8

2fede016.jpg

aa2bded4.jpg

70cb40fd.jpg

88515588.jpg

lotu4.jpg

Interesting that there's mention of 'bloom' which normally makes me think of shell - both waxy leathers, I suppose.

Yes, look-alike for shell and bridle.

Zug and Beva were finished with beeswax/soap(emulsifier)/neatsfoot oil/water treatment.

http://www01.us.arch...ge/362/mode/1up

48dc9ed3.jpg

And also interesting that they recommend not using dubbin or similar for conditioning the leather. Anyone with any thoughts on this?

It is strange. I cannot understand why dubbin ruins Zug's waterproofness.

Some dubbin recipes:

20 lbs. beef tallow, ½ lb. rosin, 5 gals. inedible cod-liver oil, ½ lb. melted bees wax

50% beef tallow, 50% glycerine.

40% mutton tallow, 60% prime neatsfoot oil.

50% beef tallow, 50% prime neatsfoot oil.

50% mutton tallow, 50% neatsfoot oil, small amount melted bees wax.

http://www.blancoand...leaning/dubbin/

Edited by VegTan

Not sure if I posted these here last year. Mirror toe on the Alden/J Crew color 8 cap toe boot.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The mirror toe didn't last long as I wanted to be able to dress them down a bit with denim or chinos. So after all that work (not really that much work) I applied a it of renovateur and brushed. It kept them looking sharp enough for business attire and not out of place with denim.

Holy shit, Patrick. I have these same boots, I can't even imagine getting them that shiny. That's absolutely amazing.

Finally,after waiting for 3 weeks

486501_10200966114300174_1995777199_n.jpg?dl=1

1808_10200966120540330_1443078022_n.jpg?dl=1

304310_10200966126540480_398884368_n.jpg?dl=1

426420_10200966113980166_1064396710_n.jpg?dl=1

71964_10200966118460278_1498059496_n.jpg?dl=1

Brand: FlutterbyShoes Indonesia

Model: Custom Wingtip Brogue Boots

Influence: Alden Wingtip Boot

Upper:Black Full Grain Cowhide

Lining:Red Lambskin

Construction: Norwegian Welt

Sole: Double Layer Leather+Welt

Edge Trim: Antique Redwood

Eyelet: 9 silver Eyelet

Heel: 1/4 rubber

Bonus: Certificate,2 years warranty card

Price: US $210

They build this boots,as good as my expectation

Edited by oxymoron

I handled some Flutterby shoes recently in Jakarta, along with a whole host of other Indonesian brands (Sagara, Maine St, Satalum, BNV, Zevin), and on the whole I was amazingly impressed with the quality and craftsmanship. Some of the brands use some really nice materials too, local and Pakistani hides, and American cow hide. A couple of the brands use full hand made construction too, not a machine in sight.

Edited by Megatron1505

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...